Report here!!

Two setters

When I had two dogs and was capable of handling them I ran them together. As long as they don't fight and probably compliment each other I feel it is great and a special treat.
I no longer have the areas to hunt that will allow for a wide running dog nor do I have the physical capabilities to hunt two dogs. I feel it is very special when one is able to enjoy watching several dogs work.
Not actually seeing those two setters work I can only imagine what they are capable of accomplishing. From the way Steve describes them it is evident he understands his dogs very well. Enjoy them!!

Thanks guys, I really appreciate the kind words. They are not perfect, but I sure like them.

Good breeding and living in and area where wild bird exposure is pretty easy to do, is a big advantage.

Running two dogs at the same time is fun, and the two of them work together well.

I have a Garmin, but many times I see one of them backing before I see the pointing dog.
Took the week off for vacation to hunt, but we had to help with some family health problems in OK. The dogs have been pinned up. So we took and hour to see if the Okies have been holding out on us about the quail. We found a few. Glad we will be home today.

20131113_160016.jpg

they don't make a field too big for these guys...very nice, my guys are a bit too competitive plus i like to keep fresh legs on the ground for days at a time when i go for extended hunts...nice bird dogs!

Man you guys are killing me talking about taking your kids, and getting their first birds. My daughter is only 3 and she talks about going hunting with me non stop. I cant wait til she's old enough. She loves to come with me in the summer to run dogs, she rides on my back in a Kelty backpack. When I get home from hunting she is always excited to help clean birds.

Well, I took Indy and Ace out for a hunt this morning. We had been down in OK helping care for older Family members that ended up in the hospital. So the dog were cooped up all week.

Got to the first WIHA and turned the dogs loose. Indy pointed a group of 8 Prairie Chickens, then 2 singles and Ace pointed a single as well. Easy shots !!! Only problem the season does not open till tomorrow.

So we headed to where we had seen some quail and pheasants. Then Indy goes flying by my like a red and white streak. Red being the Key word. He went on point in front of me, I walked up and put the lead on him, a bandage and healed back to the truck. Two years in a row he gets hurt before the end of the first week of the season. On the DL for 10-14 days :(

20131115_135204.jpg

I know that wound! Downed barb wire fence. As you see the red, and get to the dog, who is preoccupied to continue hunting, as you feel around to find it, the dog winces at the touch. About now you want to sit down and cry, then go find the "big" livestock vet. Only the good dogs get these injuries. Good news you have another dog who probably will welcome the opportunity to take center stage. I Hope you have better luck the rest of the season.

He is going to have to learn to slow down a little at fences and thick cover.
He is cool to watch hunt, being fast and pretty snappy, but he has been a trip to the Vet waiting to happen.

I was at the Vet's and one of the newer Vets was working on him. When the Vet that generally fixes us up, got back from lunch. She saw me and said "Let me guess, Indy again". That picture doesn't do the cut justice. It was thru all the layers of skin, and would lay open 1.5" wide. There was a fair amount of dirt and grass seed in there so they had to knock him out.

Going to hate hearing him when I leave him behind and only take Ace. :(

amateur vet

He is going to have to learn to slow down a little at fences and thick cover.
He is cool to watch hunt, being fast and pretty snappy, but he has been a trip to the Vet waiting to happen.

I was at the Vet's and one of the newer Vets was working on him. When the Vet that generally fixes us up, got back from lunch. She saw me and said "Let me guess, Indy again". That picture doesn't do the cut justice. It was thru all the layers of skin, and would lay open 1.5" wide. There was a fair amount of dirt and grass seed in there so they had to knock him out.

Going to hate hearing him when I leave him behind and only take Ace. :(

if this keeps happening you might try and learn to do a do it your self job like get a needle and thread or a staple gun. in most cases my vet, actually a fishing buddy would in most cases say to clean the wound, dogs don't easily get infection, bandage it for a few days, let it air dry some and more often than not the wound will heal in less than two weeks if the vet fixes it and if you do it yourself it will also take less than two weeks to heal. you might get a hold of some pill to give it just in case but some times you just have to do bite the bullet and see the vet. they like you to come

cheers

wound

Sorry that occurred. I am glad you allowed the vet to handle the problem. They will clean the wound and remove the debris.
When he is allowed to hunt again he will make up for lost time. Good luck with him and your other setter.

I generally do my own "repairs" on them. Pretty good with a stapler, and have refilled it twice :rolleyes:

But this was a cut that needed more cleaning and stitches than I wanted to do with a dog that is not knocked out. It was a mess.

Being able to clean and staple wounds will save you a lot of $. But there are some that are best left to a Vet.

I generally do my own "repairs" on them. Pretty good with a stapler, and have refilled it twice :rolleyes:

But this was a cut that needed more cleaning and stitches than I wanted to do with a dog that is not knocked out. It was a mess.

Being able to clean and staple wounds will save you a lot of $. But there are some that are best left to a Vet.

Yea that's a gnarly one. I'm with you. I don't mind some home doctoring but when they are deep and dirty like that better left to the pro. Dogs are amazing healers. Hopefully he won't need the cone of shame. Mine always do.

The way my dogs hunt, and I'm sure most of all of yours too, with wreckless abandon its amazing that something like this doesn't happen on every hunt. Luckily for me my dogs are pretty good around barbed wire except for Daisy, for some reason she likes going between the bottom and middle strand instead of just going under.:confused: I hope Indy heals up fast for you, I know your pain as my dog is also on the IR after his accident on Sunday.

Back