Report here!!

I'm pretty proud of him. He is not prefect, but he is pretty fun to watch go.

Plan to get out this weekend. Sure would like to get the dogs on a couple of roosters, to go with some quail.

Went out yesterday for a quick walk through an area of my folks place. Had a quail single get up a couple feet to my right. No shot, just watched him fly. There are a couple coveys we've been seeing in the area we plan to get into Friday morning.

Went out this afternoon and found nothing for the first 4 hours. Just before dark we had 1 rooster and 7 hens flush at about 30 yards. Came home with the one rooster. Did not see any quail, although I heard a lot of shooting going on.

We will head back out on Friday to one of the areas that normally holds a few birds.

We hunted several familiar spots today in the Flint Hills, but saw NO quail.

We had a good talk with a farmer that told tale of seeing 2 flocks of chickens on his property. He said one flock was well over 100. He tried to count the other flock and they flushed by the time he'd counted to 40. He said he didn't think he'd counted half of them yet. That's exciting stuff. I haven't seen 100 chickens in the same place for a long time!

Back to quail hunting.......we must have hit the right place when we first arrived yesterday. We saw 2 big coveys in a nasty ole' hedge/thicket row, which has beans on one side and CRP on the other yesterday. We figured we'd really get into 'em this morning; we had all the right places and permission lined-up, but the quail-birds chose not to show.

The boy is pretty happy with the weekend so far; he got a bird Thursday and I didn't:)

Well finally made it out with dogs today. And to my surprise I saw way more birds than I had expected. Starting the morning hunting a couple wiha fields that have been good to us in the past. 3 wiha fields a county south of the grandparents farm and only produced 4 hens and 2 roosters. Did get into one big covey of quail that I took 2 singles on 2 good points.

That was all I could find in wiha, saw too many other hunters so I moved up to our land and boy was I shocked ! Hunted the afternoon on some of our best spots, lots of pointed hens and quit a few wild flushing roosters out of range. Very good day in my opinion !! Got in some really good dog work. Back at it in the morning hoping for a nice long tailed rooster.

Also did she about 15 hens bunched up together on the road picking through the sand. They flushed into a good crp patch that I don't have permission on tho.

Went out today and walked one of my honey-holes. Nothing. Relocated to some fresh cut Milo, it looked pretty good close to the road. Once we started walking, we noticed that it was cut to about 5 inches tall. We walked one edge and a fence line towards a pasture that looked good from the road. We entered the pasture and hunted a fence line towards an old homestead. A rabbit took off, away from the dog so I had a shot. Took it, and immediately two roosters got up 10 yards ahead. I shot the first one, it fluttered, caught its balance, and I shot it again. I look over to see my dad watching the second rooster fly away. I picked up the rabbit while Molly got the rooster. Dad waited where I had shot from and as I get close, a third rooster takes off. Dad turns, tracks, and click. I did not have a shot since it took off flying with dad between us.

Back at the truck I took his gun apart and fixed it and we headed back to the honey hole. No pheasant, but Dad walked into a wind-row and flushed a covey of quail. He did not shoot. I took Molly and she pointed two singles that ended up in the bag. We flushed two more singles that we watched fly.

Drove to another area for the last hour of the day. We see birds there every time, but few roosters. I dropped Dad and Molly off at one end of the field and drove down towards the far end to block for them. As I parked the truck, 4 hens and a rooster flew right in front of me and into the corn we were hunting. I walked in without the dog and flushed one hen but could not find the rest. Dad saw 6 birds flush wild out of range.

Can't see it to well, but Molly locked on a single quail.
IMG_3294_zps21da5335.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_3293_zps90acff2c.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Back