Quail Hunting Pics and Videos

Somebeach!!! Looks like you have had some tremendous hunts!!! Thanks for sharing the pic's!!!:thumbsup::coolpics:

yup...you hit the tree...:) I've done it a time or two myself....nice point though...and YES awesome cover...I'm trying to make it back to Kansas in the next week or so

Setternut, great video of you shooting the tree. Timing those shots is tough to say the least!

Somebeach, it's nice to know the tradition of bird hunting is being passed down in Central Idaho too:thumbsup:

Part of a quail hunt today.

http://youtu.be/EI0j08jWRW4

We found several coveys today. But really didn't get much in the way of shots.
Low flyers, Trees, you name it.

Steve,

Buddy I hate it When they do that. I have shot My fair share of trees hunting quail. Great video. The little bastages just love to do that. Mearns are the worst at doing this. Anyway I got a big laugh at that because I've been there and done that. bought the Tee shirt too. :D

I thought I could shoot through that hole in the trees. But my lead put me drilling wood.

Mearns, I got to do that in the next couple of years.

With the weather coming in and having to go back to work on Monday, I took the dogs out for a hunt. When we got to the place I was planning to hunt, there was someone else there. So we went to look at another spot a couple miles away, but it was not worth hunting. Went back and the other group had left, so we hunted it anyway.

This is Indy on the first covey he found.

http://youtu.be/vljcCON9_bw

great video Steve....thats awesome. I love when I hunt an area someone just went through and find find birds:thumbsup: storm hitting us now...got bout 6 inches so far and still snowing. I hate the snow. our season ends here on Wednesday. Hope I can get out. High tomorrow is supposed to be -5 and we're supposed to end up with 10-12 inches of snow by tonight. what a crappy way to end the season. hope to get out and look for pheasants on Wednesday when it warms up..other than that Kansas will have to save me the rest of January. H E L P.....lol weather hasn't been much better there though as of late I see:(

Thanks, it was pretty fun to go in and hunt right behind them and find birds.

I will be leaving the quail alone until the snow melt. Having to go back to work will also reduce the hunting time ;)

Most seasons, I like to focus on pheasants during January, but there are not many in this part of the state. Hope to make a trip a couple hours west for a hunt. Or if I go completely crazy I might go way west and try for some Scalies.

Gotta remember that either in '12 or '11 all those rain events just missed SW Kansas and ran up east of the rockies giving life saving rains that the Cimmaron didn't get. That gave some Colorado scalie habitat the reprieve that further east didn't get. It also helped SW Nebrasks if I remember right. In lieu of that, SW Kansas stayed in the pressure cooker and is left in desolation. Better to spend your time tying dry flies to challenge some of Josh's cutts next spring. I keep thinking my leash will get lengthened and I'll get up your way with my bio buddy and maybe an up-and-comer to tour the ranch! Don't die from shock if I call!!!

Sounds good Troy, come on up any time. Getting the plan for the place put together. Some trees out, pollinator plots, fire brakes and a burn / hay plan.
Want to get several good coveys going to work the dogs on most of the year.

But I have got to get a Scalie pointed & shot in KS.

let me know your plan maybe we can hook up....yea I don't wanna hunt till the snow is gone...hopefully it will....how much you get from this storm? its a total mess here in IL....

3-4" more in Manhattan.
I don't really know what they got else where.

Just need a few days in the 40s with a little wind and it will all melt.

1559563_10202246432754886_2053573460_o.jpg

1401889_10201874883946398_86005115_o.jpg

430856_4762459952066_1722656426_n.jpg

580459_4762461552106_1407406797_n.jpg

The 1st pic is my Braque Francais Eddie pointing some quail last spring on a walk.

The next is the Eddie backing my friends GSP on what turned out to be a covey of quail. We figured that is was a single from a covey we had flushed a couple hundred yards away but 25 more flew up and scared the beegeezus out of me.

Next is my Vizsla Vince who I had to put down right before this season. Those two pics were from the last day of the season 2013 (pheasants)

Back