Quail Hunting Pics and Videos

I'm slow being from Indy, did you name your dog Indy because he runs big and fast?

My son came up with the name. It fits him pretty well, he is exciting to watch cover ground hunting. He goes through cover like Indiana Jones running from the Natives.

But he is bigger running and faster than most dogs I have had. But he gets torn up some.

20140524_144718.jpg

here's some quail hunting pics from this season here in Illinois.

Ace pointing a covey

pointing another covey.

and here's a few from this season in Kansas...

Ace pointing a morning covey..

singles in the woods...

NO your talking of only Bobwhites and mearn Quail. A dog at ranging at six hundred yards on gambles, scalies, and the other Quail in this country, would be long gone when you got to the dog. LOL just poking you setternut.:D

That's the truth! Desert quail are more like pheasants and love to run and don't like to hold in a covey like Mearns and Bobwhites. Bobwhites are still one of my favorites to hunt with a pointer... Right behind Scalies, Mearns and Gambels.

I concur with Steve, wow! Those are exquisitely beautiful birds. Hope you have a couple mounted in the den. Thanks for the pics.

Beautiful pics purest! There's something about gambels quail, beautiful quail with that red head and cream and black chest.:cheers:

Today was our last quail hunt of the season, weather was nice and the dogs had no problem finding birds with all the moisture on the ground. We moved four covies but didn't pursue any of them very hard, opting instead to leave most of them for seed. I started out with seven shells in my vest, left over from the last hunt, and decided that would be all I would shoot. I ended up with four quail and missed a very easy shot with my last shell, my brother added another four to today's bag.

Here's a quick video from today, look closely around the 20 second Mark. That's what you get when you hunt with springers, a find, a flush, and (if you hold up your end of the deal) retrieve to hand.:thumbsup:

Click on the pic for the vid. Sorry for the poor quality, it looked a lot better before uploading to photobucket.

Last edited:
Back