Pick a Huntin' Rig

BritChaser

Here's a question with a short answer: If someone offered to buy and insure a new huntin' rig for you, what would you get? Remember, you pay only operational costs in this deal.

My choice: A hybrid Tahoe or Yukon

Last edited:
I've always had SUV's going back to a 1973 International Scout. I've had Broncos, Jeeps and Explorers. Currently have an '04 Ford Expedition that has been a super vehicle. Gas mileage sucks but I like the room. Once I get back down to one dog I might consider trading for something a little smaller that gets better mileage. Kinda like the new Ford Explorers.

I like the SUV's because everything is inside where it's warm. Dogs included. Only time it's an issue is when one of the dogs runs into a skunk. Then the SUV is a problem. But the SUV works best for me and I really have no need for a pickup. This is another one of those "no right answer" questions. Just a matter of personal preference.

Here's a question with a shorter answer. If someone offered to buy and insure a new huntin" rig for you, what you get?

Toyota Tacoma ext cab with a Yamaha Rhino on the trailer.

I use to run a Dodge Diesel Quad Cab. Currently I am running a Toyota 4 Runner.

my perfect choice would be a full sized truck four doors short box with a shell on the back.
Inside the shell area would be outfitted for the various things I like to bring along. Including things from this site http://www.alumilene.com/
:cheers:

Live2Hunt,

Thanks for posting that website:10sign:

I've spent a good bit of my life in this rig. I can get into the back country and stay. Goes down the highway nice. No need for a motel or restaurant. Warm, folds up and down in a minute. :cheers:

P1010044-4.jpg

I've spent a good bit of my life in this rig. I can get into the back country and stay. Goes down the highway nice. No need for a motel or restaurant. Warm, folds up and down in a minute. :cheers:

P1010044-4.jpg

I love it! Those pop-ups are so nice. Less windage for better mileage but some headroom.

Last edited:
Well this old truck has been good to me, I have 250,000 miles on her and she still makes the 1200 mile trek to South Dakota every year. I have homeade wooden dog boxes that slip in the back and still enough room to sleep if need be. When I am on the road in the winter I throw in a sleeping bag and a small catalytic heater and am comfy down to about -10 F.

BC yup it pops up to 6'6 I'm 6'2' so works good.:)

IDpheasantkiller, I like your style. :10sign:

AND your backcountry camping!!! Love IT!!!!

Last edited:
Yep, like you I love to me mobile and maximize my time in the backcountry. I am temppted every year to move back to South Dakota so that I could really put a hurtin on the pheasants but like the diversity around here with the big game and fishing opportunities.

Well this old truck has been good to me, I have 250,000 miles on her and she still makes the 1200 mile trek to South Dakota every year. I have homeade wooden dog boxes that slip in the back and still enough room to sleep if need be. When I am on the road in the winter I throw in a sleeping bag and a small catalytic heater and am comfy down to about -10 F.

Sounds like a dude I'd like to hunt with.

What a nice camp. Gunning for elk and deer I assume.

Currently using an '87 Toyota p/u w/flatbed. Can't beat a $500 dollar rig that's turn-key reliable.And you don't have to beat yourself up,for beating the crap out of it.Saves a ton of wear and tear on the diesel truck,and makes for some great low-buck outings.Plus when some snob looks down his nose at me,I can prove to him that you don't have to look like you just stepped out of a Cabela's commercial to be a good hunter.

Last edited:
Back