Pick a Huntin' Rig

I'm running an 05 gmc sierra z71 regular cab short bed. She's got 197k on the ticker and has had no issues save for one tranny rebuild. A 2" lift, 33" tires and an automatic rear locker (something Ford and dodge guys wouldn't know about:D) get me to places a full size truck should not go and she still gets 20mpg highway loaded towing my tent trailer. Pretty much the perfect set up for 2 guys.:thumbsup:

While I am dreaming big -- for a hybrid Tahoe -- the reality is that my huntin' wagon is a '98 Blazer I picked up used in '05 in Denver for $5100.00. It had 90,000 miles then. Now it has 255,000, but everything works. The major maintenance was two AC systems and one tranny rebuild. It's just me, the dog and the gear and we fit in it fine whether it's a bird hunt to western KS or a summer camping and fishing trip to the Rockies. FYI . . . Denver is a great place to pick up a used SUV cheap due to the great number of them on the market at any given time.

I would like to see the black one with a red stripe like the A-Team van.:D I mean, if you're going all-out, might as well... I bet you would get many compliments at the gas station.
LMAO, origanally thought the mystery machine ,but A-teams better!

Those Fj's are pretty sweet.:thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliments, perhaps I will cross paths with some or you in the future on a backcountry hunt. All of the hunting I do is public land and over the counter tags. With the use of a canoe to access remote land on the Salmon and Snake River and a good flat shooting rifle a guy can have a heck of time. I have attached pictures of the bull elk and mulie I took this year.

Good Critters!
Nothing like back country remote camping. I spent 32 days total in MT in 011, not in town or in motels.:)
I take a motel sometimes when the weather gets life threatening.:eek:
I feel you can't get the "whole" experience unless your out there 24-7. :cheers:
During the early grouse season I can get deep into the back country, stay 3-4 days and drive out on my tire tracks.

Couple pics.

Sharptails. [camp meat[

P1010066-2.jpg

For the freezer.

P1010065.jpg

Shed antler hunting.

P1010109.jpg

P1010166.jpg

Mixed bag.

P1010084.jpg

mnmthunting- nice rig, but i have to ask what do black labs taste like for camp meat? do you broil or boil them? Especially older ones, i have a 9 year old, with a gimpy leg?

I am extremely lucky to have my dream hunting rig! I have a 2011 ECSB Silverado 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 G80 rear! It has 403 horses under the hood and is extremely efficient. If I keep around 65 heading to and from camp I can see 20mpg. Not to mention I am a few bolt ons away from having a truck that can do the quarter in the high 13 seconds and traverse through the deepest of snow with out a problem!

I am extremely lucky to have my dream hunting rig! I have a 2011 ECSB Silverado 4x4 with the 6.2 and 3.73 G80 rear! It has 403 horses under the hood and is extremely efficient. If I keep around 65 heading to and from camp I can see 20mpg. Not to mention I am a few bolt ons away from having a truck that can do the quarter in the high 13 seconds and traverse through the deepest of snow with out a problem!

My brother has the same truck but the gmc. Fastest vehicle I've ever driven, including mustang cobras, infinite g35s and a host of other high performance vehicles. Completely stock my gps claimes 13.95 @ 98 (governer limited). With a programmer to remove the the governer, an e85 tune and some slicks with traction control off I think it could cut a 13.5ish quarter mile on the track.

Quail hound, your brother has a very nice truck! The GM LS engines are awesome and respond very well to simple bolt ons! I guess that's why they are being swapped into other vehicles at the rate they are! I am just glad that GM put this package together! Best combo I can think of!!

I agree, one hell of a truck. If it wasn't so expensive that's the setup I would put in my '88 silverado. Instead I'm going with a vortec 383 stroker with an edelbrock multi point injection manifold and long tube headers. Should make a Ca smog legal 380hp/ 480ish lb ft of torque. It'll be backed up by a stage 2 bow tie 700r4 and a 4.11 eaton posi rear end. When that's all in my brother and I will run them and see who has the better set up.

Quail Hound,

That would be a heck of a truck indeed! Are you talking about the 383 HT from GM High Performance? It's a great motor with all "new" parts, and a heck of a bottom end.

My dream truck would be a CHEVY for sure! My first car was a SS 454 LS6 Chevelle, and it has been Chevy's ever since! Wouldn't seem right going hunting in anything else, just to many memories and tradition. Chevy Runs Deep!

mnmt:Nice Mulie,I wish more people would let those little ones walk.Can't count the times Iv'e been at the motel and had people show me a spindly little 4 by 4 with their chest puffed-up like a peacock.I'd hammer that one in a heartbeat.

I thought about going that route but instead I'm going to have one built at the local machine shop. It'll be basically the same motor with a few tweaks for a little more rev.

I also have this, its my brother and I's project. 73 k5 blazer custom cab. It has a motor home 454 bored 30 over, eldelbrock rpm manifold, edelbrock 650 carb, and Doug thorely tri y headers. She's got a 4 inch lift and 35x 16 inch wide boggers and a posi front and Lincoln locker rear. At 5mpg and current gas prices not the most practical hunting rig.:D

IMAG0274.jpg

Back