Pick a Huntin' Rig

Here's one of our projects! It's a 71 4x4 shortbed. It's got a 700r4 and a smallblock!

100_0139-1.jpg

Yep, its the only way to go.:cheers:

Nice truck FLDBRED. I forgot to mention my blazer has the sm465 granny gear 4spd tranny.

That truck must be a real stump puller with the big block and the ultra low first gear!

To answer the O.P. question, I think it would be a ZR-2 S-10 pick up, with the aluminum 6.2 LS motor, 6 speed auto, posi rear, air locker front. The truck would have scary power and probably get about 28-30 MPG!

Now we're talking.:cheers: That 6 speed auto in my brothers truck makes me jealous, nice low 1st gear and a double overdrive. My 05 already gets around 20mpg highway, but with the 6spd I'm guessing I could get around 25 and have more torque in 1st.

Yeah,that would be a heck of a truck! I couldn't afford it, but it would be niice to dream!

I thought about going that route but instead I'm going to have one built at the local machine shop. It'll be basically the same motor with a few tweaks for a little more rev.

I also have this, its my brother and I's project. 73 k5 blazer custom cab. It has a motor home 454 bored 30 over, eldelbrock rpm manifold, edelbrock 650 carb, and Doug thorely tri y headers. She's got a 4 inch lift and 35x 16 inch wide boggers and a posi front and Lincoln locker rear. At 5mpg and current gas prices not the most practical hunting rig.:D

IMAG0274.jpg

Had a '72 K5 Blazer. Had to deploy lots of duck tape to keep the water out. Never did fix it up. It sucked a valve on I-70 west of WaKeeney one night. Guess the old mill didn't like doing 80 uphill into a headwind.

Last edited:
I would have to say a new Chevy 2500 HD Duramax Diesel Crew Cab with the Alumilene dog kennel in the back; also have to add their gun vault too.

Two dream rigs

Here are two of my dream rigs! The Tundra is mine and I love the topper with side opening windows. The Chevy is a friend of ours.

Chevy4Drplus.jpg

GregTaylorKipandColbyandkissfromRos.jpg

Mtmnhunting - that is a very nice mule deer buck and a great mixed bag. The setup you have with the popup camper comes in real handy. My employers recently bought a 4-wheel pop up camper for our radio telemetry crew that spends the spring and winter following adult steelhead throughout the interior Pacific Northwest. Thanks for sharing the pics.

I like junkers for hunting.New trucks take too much depreciation,too much insurance and in my hands,too much thrashing.

Last edited:
I've got a 02 Tacoma quad cab TRD package---has 200K on it and runs super--goes anywhere and has a Raider topper/with lining--love it and hope it lasts forever.:)

Last edited:
Mtmnhunting - that is a very nice mule deer buck and a great mixed bag. The setup you have with the popup camper comes in real handy. My employers recently bought a 4-wheel pop up camper for our radio telemetry crew that spends the spring and winter following adult steelhead throughout the interior Pacific Northwest. Thanks for sharing the pics.

Thanks! and thanks for sharing your adventures! Totally good stuff.:thumbsup:

The 2014 Chevy Silverado is said to be a " retro" look. If it's anything like the new Camaro, Challenger, and Mustang I may have to pull the trigger on a new truck! Now if I can get it in short bed standard cab, with the 6.2 and 6 speed auto I'll be in heaven!

Tbears vehicle is a off roading machine but with very limited space inside. Was a very interesting trip to SD this year in it with two dogs in a custom built dog box and gear. Needless to say the coolers on the roofrack almost didn't survive the trip out there. My next vehicle will be a pickup crew cab with a topper, best rig for hunting with dogs and gear imo.

Supprised there are no suburban supporters out there. I have an 04 that I traded my 07 4 door silverado in on because I wanted climate control for my 3 labs and I absolutely love it! But of course I would take just about any of the above rigs if all I had to pay was operational costs :)

Back