Perfect hunting SUV

I got rid of the blazer and upgraded to this.

IMG_20131123_154215_392_zps93b350d8.jpg

30 mpg, plenty of ground clearance, comfortable plenty of room awd. Already took it out and it performed flawlessly. Only downside is it is so shiny.

A few winter's and dirt roads will take the flawless shine right off for you!! Congrats on the new War Wagon!!

Got my wife an Outback this past summer. It is a great car.
When my truck has to be replaced, I may consider one for me.

Got my wife an Outback this past summer. It is a great car.
When my truck has to be replaced, I may consider one for me.

After taking my fathers forester hunting for a change and seeing go through everything, I was convinced. I had no hesitation taking it anywhere, and it literally gets double the gas mileage. Sold.

I'm currently tormenting myself about getting a second car.

Haven't had a problem with my current one, but always had a "tickle" about the Suzuki/Chevy Trackers.

There's one available relatively near-by, a 2000, with 140k, 4WD, pristine body, for maybe $2,000.

Don't REALLY need it, but...ya know?

Reports online seem to be pretty positive, other than the short wheel-base cornering issue, and...I'd guess the snap going over speed bumps.

Anyone have any experience with them?

Thanks.

Haven't had a problem with my current one, but always had a "tickle" about the Suzuki/Chevy Trackers.

There's one available relatively near-by, a 2000, with 140k, 4WD, pristine body, for maybe $2,000.

Reports online seem to be pretty positive, other than the short wheel-base cornering issue, and...I'd guess the snap going over speed bumps.

Thanks.
Go drive one. They are possibly one of the cheapest built vehicles I have ever driven.

I keep threatening to trade in my 3/4 ton dodge for a Subaru, myself. there's a lot more snowy highway driving then serious jeeping , for the most part.
there all wheel drive system is safer on partially slick roads then part time 4 wd. that matters when its a 4 hr drive home.
we had a 92 we put 150k miles on .my sister is driving a forester ,98, with 289 k.

I keep threatening to trade in my 3/4 ton dodge for a Subaru, myself. there's a lot more snowy highway driving then serious jeeping , for the most part.
there all wheel drive system is safer on partially slick roads then part time 4 wd. that matters when its a 4 hr drive home.
we had a 92 we put 150k miles on .my sister is driving a forester ,98, with 289 k.

That's exactly why I got it. Last year we almost went off the road when they froze over. 4wd and big tires didn't really help. Deep snow, mud, and off-roading it did. 90% of hunting is hwy driving, 9% dirt roads, 1% really hair situations. If I can't go there, I will find another place to hunt or walk.

The stopping is symmetrical too, so if you do hit the brakes, it is more likely to not slide side to side.

I also have a handful of friends with 200k+ on their original drivetrain.

It also saves me $120 a month in gas, lol.

i drive a 1999 mitsubishi montero,(full size model) its got 130k on it and still goes very strong it easily fits all my gear dogs kennels and so forth, gas milage is noramal suv around 16 total. im holding out for a 2015 chevy colorado, i heard a rumer gm is going to offer a 4 cylinder diesel. i couple years ago i almost bought an outback. i also like the 2014 escape.

Thanks.

I drove my friends when I was out visiting them last year. Used it for about a week. I Always felt like I was going to flip it over. They have had it for 3-4 yrs. they make fun of it all the time, but it's never broke down and they do love the thing.

well....I've had pick up trucks my whole life...a BUNCH of them ..I worked for a Nissan dealer for 22 1/2 years...we also owned 2 Ford dealerships....I've had several lifted Super Dutys.....2 Lifted Dodges...2 lifted Nissan Titans and a non lifted one. My last truck was an F150....finally I came to the realization that if I wanted to bird hunt and travel as much as I wanted "needed" to...I could no longer afford a pickup truck...so now...my official hunting/travel/training vehicle is a Toyota Rav4...I gotta tell ya....extremely impressed with it...I've only had it a year and a half...put over 40,000 miles on it and its great...30mpg..fits 2 dog crates..4wd when I need it..fits my hunting gear and only cost bout $40 to fill it up......I can point on the map to anywhere in the country I want to go hunt and I can actually afford to drive there....I've given up on the sweet looking trucks and actually done something practical for once in life....I could never turn back now..unless I win the lottery that is...lol

I've been over all the options over and over in my head and for me the only winner is still a regular cab chevy/ gmc Z71. We just took a 500mi (one way) road trip in my brothers '13 and got 19mpg on the way up and almost 21 on the way home loaded down. Add a 2" leveling kit and a set of 285/70/17 (33" tall) bfg all terrains and you'll drive right past the jeep rubicons airing down on the rough forrestry roads or in deep snow. My '05 with 213k miles will still turn in 20mpg highway also. The only other thing that I would consider is a regular cab 4cyl 4wd tacoma but I don't think it could tow the bass boat well and the rear end would sag with the insulated dog box with 4 dogs and all the gear in the bed.

I have spent sometime with this idea. mostly I hunt alone, and unfortunately at a 100 miles in any direction, sometimes 400-600 miles one way! if I had any areas with birds on them, I would do what you do, lightweight pickup or SUV. In my case, I don't want to do the 2-5 hour drive, in the morning, get beat up, drive home in a cramped vehicle, or drive 30 miles or so to find a drive up motel, ( we still have those here), but sometimes dog maintenance is trouble, housekeeping, (bedbugs), are a problem, cost is somewhere between 35.00 -75.00 per double occupancy. So I am using a camper van, 19-22' gets terrible mileage, I am getting parts to make it 4x4, this summer. I am refurbishing the interior to have water without freezing, propane heat, battery and electric service, and a 4.0 Onan generator. Currently, the shortfall is road conditions, if you have been in Nebraska, and see the sign 'no maintenence" they are right. if I need to, I have jeep I can trailer to hunt in terrible conditions, and just wait out the storm! So now I make up on the bad gas economy, 10-14 mpg, by taking the trip, and staying longer, I figure the savings on not making repetitive trips, and the tag-a-log lodging, equal to a high mileage vehicle. I am semi-retired, so it works for me. If I had a time constraint job, it would not work. I really enjoy it! First I can leisure around, hunt all morning, scout with comfort midday, see some sights, spend the night under a tree, on my own, listen to the coyotes howl, hear quail, and pheasants when I open the window in the morning, let the dogs relieve themselves at night, cook and sleep in the camper, camp either at the hunting sight or darn close. Makes it relaxing, my success goes up, if I have a companion, good conversation, good food, good drinks! Now I have satellite TV, with internet next, so take time out watch a football game, or communicate with the pheasant forum, and my family! Now the family thing is an issue, I believe that my wife takes a dim view of my freedom, doesn't want me gone that long, certainly doesn't want me alone for sure! I make some trade offs!

Good points OaN. My next truck will definitely have a topper on it to make camping out in the elements more enjoyable.:thumbsup:

Sleeping in the bed of the truck under the stars and waking up in zero degree weather with 6" of snow on the ground is less enjoyable than it sonds, even if there is a big covey of mountain quail just down the creek.:D

Last edited:
If it was just a Dude rig, that would be an easier decision. I use a 01 burb, 4wd. Works great to keep gear locked up, dogs warm or cool(AC), plus I can sleep in the thing.

O&U, I am jealous.

well....I've had pick up trucks my whole life...a BUNCH of them ..I worked for a Nissan dealer for 22 1/2 years...we also owned 2 Ford dealerships....I've had several lifted Super Dutys.....2 Lifted Dodges...2 lifted Nissan Titans and a non lifted one. My last truck was an F150....finally I came to the realization that if I wanted to bird hunt and travel as much as I wanted "needed" to...I could no longer afford a pickup truck...so now...my official hunting/travel/training vehicle is a Toyota Rav4...I gotta tell ya....extremely impressed with it...I've only had it a year and a half...put over 40,000 miles on it and its great...30mpg..fits 2 dog crates..4wd when I need it..fits my hunting gear and only cost bout $40 to fill it up......I can point on the map to anywhere in the country I want to go hunt and I can actually afford to drive there....I've given up on the sweet looking trucks and actually done something practical for once in life....I could never turn back now..unless I win the lottery that is...lol

Everything you are talking about is the exact same reason I got the Subaru. I was very close to getting the Rav4, but liked the look of the Subaru better.

I test drove a TON of trucks, full size SUVs, and then knew I would lift them if I got them, killing the mpg even more. I have other toys that suck gas, I don't need another one.

I have a 2007 Nissan Frontier crew cab that gets 20 mpg but I have been thinking about something with a little more fuel economy. (I drove almost 800 miles last week bird hunting in five days.) I had a 1996 Geo Tracker once that got 28-30. It was a four door 4x4 and I wish I had it back. It was reliable and when I was done I gave it to my son who drove it for 6 more years and another 100,000 miles.
My daughter drove a RAV 4 to college and got great mileage as well.

My biggest thing is how many vehicles can I afford to justify one that gets good mileage just to hunt with. I can buy a lot of gas at 20 mpg compared to the cost of the vehicle, tax, license and insurance to only use it for three months each year. I already have six vehicles right now and there is only the two of us and I wouldn't want to get rid of any that I already have.

Decisions?:confused:

AM

6 cars? How many shoes do you have?:cheers: I have 5 cars, and I am counting my shoes! There seem to be a lot of those too! I got to go, my door bell rang, it's the producer of the 'Hoarders" show, they want to see my dogs, my shells, my guns, and count my hunting vests.

My wife says I'm a hoarder but I just don't think a guy can have too many boots, guns, vests, dogs, cars, trucks or money!!!:)

Back