Perfect hunting SUV

Hi have a suburban now and it is a bit longer , than the yukon i had before.
I really prefer the yukon-tahoe, more nimble turning and better gas mileage, and i put 385k with a hickup from the engine on the yukon.
i like the lack of dust vs pickups!

lastday12312011011.jpg

3 years now- 2 4 wheel drive Escapes
took a trip to Crested Butte, Co in this one- 28.1 mpg
drove the other one next trip- 30.999 mpg

last ski trip I couldn't stay awake at 2:00am on Monarch Pass- crawled into the sleeping back- got 6 hours sleep- got to Crested Mountain right when the lifts opened-

I can travel just about anywhere-can load up 4 bird dogs- sleep in the back- get better gas mileage than most on the road- and I can use it to do most anything

btw- OP- you can and will get stuck in anything
this winter I had both our 4 wheel drive Escapes on this sand road stuck- bulldozer pulled us out

Hi have a suburban now and it is a bit longer , than the yukon i had before.
I really prefer the yukon-tahoe, more nimble turning and better gas mileage, and i put 385k with a hickup from the engine on the yukon.
i like the lack of dust vs pickups!

I just recently got back from Colorado meeting my brother- he had a nice Yukon- 4wheel drive- he just shrugged when I asked about mileage

short of it was- best he'd ever got in 150,000 miles was 18mpg- but his quote- "I can go where you can't"

We had some snow, we were at 9,870ft- there was this sort of fire road-
I led off- less than an hour he stopped- he couldn't get traction-
I laughed- said "go for it, I have 2 two straps"

Yukon VS Escape- sort of chuckling

Thanks for the reply shadow. I really like the gas mileage of the escape and the fact that it's a ford. It looks like you built a custom dog box for the back. Do you fold down the back seats or is there room for the dog box plus passengers in the back?

If you're saying that the escape went where the Yukon couldn't then there's something physically or mentally wrong with the Yukon and your brother. just saying ..:D

If you're saying that the escape went where the Yukon couldn't then there's something physically or mentally wrong with the Yukon and your brother. just saying ..:D
+1
With a little a little ground clearance and a snow shovel, a Yukon could handle anything short of 30".;)

Thanks for the reply shadow. I really like the gas mileage of the escape and the fact that it's a ford. It looks like you built a custom dog box for the back. Do you fold down the back seats or is there room for the dog box plus passengers in the back?

you have to drive easy and for mileage- most get 25mpg
bottom of the rear seats I removed, tilted the backs forward-
also- removed the under carpet black moulded thing and made one out of 3/4" plywood- got a lot of road emergency stuff there now-
real flat- the dog box- yes- I made this out of 1/2" plywood

there is a point I was making- my brother had original type street tires(although they did say mud & snow on the sides)-I had a new set of Firestone Winterforce UV's- 245/70XR16-( you should pull these up on Tirerack.com, insteresting tire) my Escape seems like it's got AWD- he'd spin a tire on the front and one on the rear- mine didn't-
if you know about mountain fireroads- you can appreciate the Escape traction control- just saying- but that's jmo

Shadow, I know what you are saying.

I drive a 3/4 ton dodge, 285's. No limited slip diff.........you get 2 frozen puddles together and you might be pushing. But never been afraid to give it a go........thats what the shovels for.:cheers:

"tranny blew" rather vague statement-
sister has 168,00 miles on her 2001- never had any problems
course- how you drive has a lot to do with it-
used- you best know who had it before you

I've been looking at escape's, and I also came across a 2003 Jeep liberty, which I really like. I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow. Does anybody have an opinion on the liberty?

I've been looking at escape's, and I also came across a 2003 Jeep liberty, which I really like. I'm gonna test drive it tomorrow. Does anybody have an opinion on the liberty?

My good buddy had one. He didn't like it. Had a ton of cabin roll and you could watch the gas gauge go down.

The Tahoe- Yukon Suv's are just flat out outstanding vehicles. They are what other manufacturers judge their vehicles against. The new LS series motors are world renowned and will knock down good MPG while offering great power and last to 300,000 miles with just routine maintenance.

Now that gas prices are rocketing skyward, my Caliber may be serving double-duty as both a commuter AND a fishing rig, since I discovered that my partially-deflated pontoon fits inside quite nicely.

Now that gas prices are rocketing skyward, my Caliber may be serving double-duty as both a commuter AND a fishing rig, since I discovered that my partially-deflated pontoon fits inside quite nicely.

Yep, I've got 5-6 field trials coming up that are any where from 100-500+ miles away. I'll be taking the wife's Ford Edge and leaving my Expedition home.

I used to have a Navigator, the redheaded step sister of the Expedition. We used to measure gas usage in gallons per mile.

I used to have a Navigator, the redheaded step sister of the Expedition. We used to measure gas usage in gallons per mile.

My '04 Expedition isn't quite that bad. If I hold it at 60 mph I can get close to 20 mpg. 65 mph and I'll get 18 mpg, 70-75 mph and it drops to 16 mpg. In my wife's Edge I can pound it down the interstate at 75 mph and still get 24-25 mpg. With current gas prices on a 1,000 mile trip I can save nearly a "C-note" by taking the Edge. And as long as it's just me, the dog and my stuff I have enough room in the Edge.

lastday12312011011.jpg

3 years now- 2 4 wheel drive Escapes
took a trip to Crested Butte, Co in this one- 28.1 mpg
drove the other one next trip- 30.999 mpg

last ski trip I couldn't stay awake at 2:00am on Monarch Pass- crawled into the sleeping back- got 6 hours sleep- got to Crested Mountain right when the lifts opened-

I can travel just about anywhere-can load up 4 bird dogs- sleep in the back- get better gas mileage than most on the road- and I can use it to do most anything

btw- OP- you can and will get stuck in anything
this winter I had both our 4 wheel drive Escapes on this sand road stuck- bulldozer pulled us out

Really like the looks of your dogs.

BC, NICE!:10sign:

Back