Perfect hunting SUV

kenobi_fan

Well, I'm in the market for a new truck and I'm wondering what you all think would be the perfect setup.

I want something:
-Under $10,000
-4wd
-Under 100,000 miles
-Room for me and two or three passengers plus a dog kennel and shotguns in the back.

I've found a 2002 Chevy Trailblazer V6 with 96,000 miles for $9,962. I'm sure I can get a better price than that, but that's where they are starting.

So what's your opinion? I just want something that won't get stuck in a field, and let's me haul friends and dogs comfortably. Thanks.

Sounds like either a four door pickup or a suburban. Not sure how many or what size kennel you need.
Will this be a daily driver too or just your hunting rig? I wish I could have a dedicated hunting truck that I didnt have to worry about the cosmetics so much.
Locking rear diff. Is a must too IMO

Just one dog box for my GSP. This will be a daily driver too, so hopefully it would do alright on gas mileage and look alright. Thanks.

We had an Envoy (same as the Trailblazer) but it only got about 19 MPG. We sold it and bought a Suburban that gets around 17 MPG. The suburban works great for upland for up to 3 guys comfortably. I have a dog box that goes in the back so the dogs have heat. The only downside I can see is if one gets sprayed by a skunk, which has not happened yet.

My wife has a Subaru Forester which is actually a pretty nice little car. It gets around 25 MPG. It has AWD and my dog box fits in the back sideways. It is great for solo trips or for 2, but it could start to get quite scrunched with 2 guys, gear, and the dog box.

They are great trucks, with a real good 4WD system. The engine is a straight six not a v-6, it has won all kinds of awards, just google 4200 VORTEC BEST ENGINE AWARDS. that being said, the best years for that engine were 2006 - 2007! That price for a 2002 seems a little high! Look for one with a G-80 "locking rear'. You can find this in the glove box! Good luck, CHEVY RUNS DEEP!

I'm going to be looking at Subaru wagons myself. Great fuel mileage, get around very well and are one of the most dependable vehicles on the road. Can be had for very little money as well for one a few years old.

I've had 3 Ford Explorers and currently have a '04 Ford Expedition. Love the Expedition for the added room but they will cost you more than an Explorer and the gas mileage isn't as good. With my Explorers I got around 20 mph on the highway. The Expedition ranges from 16-17 depending on your speed. If you would look for an Explorer get one without the 3rd seat (it's pretty worthless anyway) so that the cargo area is flat for your kennel.

I've always had SUV's and love them. But as someone else said, the only downside is the times your dogs tangles with a skunk! :eek: Been in that situation more times than I care to remember. :(

I'm going to be looking at Subaru wagons myself. Great fuel mileage, get around very well and are one of the most dependable vehicles on the road. Can be had for very little money as well for one a few years old.

outbacks are the best ever

Have had two Suburbans - not the greatest for gas mileage - 18 hwy but I can load lots of gear and dogs. Can load two crates side-by-side (1996) and lots of room for gear et al.

Looking at 4WD Yukon or Suburban, not AWD. 2005 or 2006 seem to be in my price range. The 4WD apparently have higher clearance and are better off road vs AWD. However, all have far too many features that can go wrong! And the AWD vehicles use more gas and are harder on tires.

Anyone have any input to this...hands on experience??

Apparently in late 2006 LTZ. Seems most of the AWD are Yukon's...

How are your Golden's doing? I'm on my 5th one and he's the smartest one yet; likes to watch TV programs that either show horses (westerns) or Youtube hunts!

Check out the newer nissan pathfinders. Lots of room inside. Lots of comfort, power, and great off road. About 20 mpg in town and about 23 highway (at 70 mph loaded for a week in the obx). I've been driving a pathfinder for 12 years now. I love them.

I think that many of the yukon denalis and all of the escalades have AWD and the 6.0L engine. They get pretty horrendous mileage though, as expected.

I really like the Nissan Pathfinders. Gas mileage is really good, and looks like it has a lot of room. I'm having trouble finding one in my area with low miles in my price range, but if I can that would definitely be an option.

Does anybody have an opinion on the 2001 Ford explorer sport. I found one with 80,000 miles for $6,900. Thinking I could get it for around $6,000 or less, but not sure about the age.

Does anybody have an opinion on the 2001 Ford explorer sport. I found one with 80,000 miles for $6,900. Thinking I could get it for around $6,000 or less, but not sure about the age.

If you get an Explorer make sure it's a 2002 or newer. they made big upgrades in 2002 especially in the suspension and ride. The previous models 2001 and older road very rough. I know, I had one of each.

not sure you can get one for less that 10k but you might find a Honda Ridgeline that meets the requirements.

Handy vehicle, pickup bed, four doors, excellent AWD and even has a trunk. Shotguns slide right under the back seat and when it's really cold I fold up the rer seats and put the dogs in back.

Got a 2002 Durango. Not great gas mileage, but not horrible. Only have the 4.7, not the 5.9 magnum. Second and third row both fold down, If I wanted/needed to I could fit 4 large dog kenels in the back and still have room for guns etc... Never been stuck yet.

Back