Opening Day.... How did you do?

Toad,

I just wanted to add, I found a lot fewer quail around here than I expected. After last season, I was pretty optimistic (ya know, thinking I might see 5 coveys/day if I worked at it). Lemme tell ya, I'd have to hunt sunup to sundown and I'm still not sure I'd find 5 coveys this season.

I have gotten used to finding covies in some of the same spots year after year. I was really disappointed to not see two of my most reliable. Really wanted to get the pup on birds...:( The wind was wrong when we went through one of the draws and crossing back and forth was tricky due to the rain we had last week. I'm REALLY hoping they were around and the dogs were just out of position to find them. I shoot very few quail, but it is nice to be able to put the dogs on them.

I thought about going back to the same area this morning, but I'll probably try another spot instead.

One phez and two quail in one hour of hunting Saturday morning. Then went to the marathon game at the Bill and did not get home until 9 that night. Was in no shape to hunt Sunday with the flu that has been going around. The quail were big healthy birds and held tight. Very tasty wrapped in bacon and fried for the family last night.

Went out opening day family tradition, met up with my dad, uncle and good friend all stayed in Hays and worked our way northwest towards Hill City, hitting WIHA headed to grandmas land. Well we saw 1 hen, 2 roosters and 1 game warden by 9:00. my dog pointed one of the roosters and well my dad and uncle missed. My buddie kicked up one rooster and had a great shot he missed too :eek:. So we headed to grandmas spent 30 min talking and checking on her then went back out. Chief, my GSP, pointed a covey of quail about 20-25 birds. Shot two of the ones on the edge. Got off into some nasty stuff and found a covey of 30+ quail got one then they all flew over to land we didn't have permission to hunt. We finished the day with 3 quail and some great memories. You truly earned what you got this opener. Overall had a blast watching the dog and being with family!

First the hunter numbers were way down in our area!!! Our group which constisted of 14 men and 7 kids under 18 yrs old took 22 roosters and 4 quail on saturday by 3pm. We walked WIHA till 10am then cut milo. Sunday we hunted 4 fields and took another 11 rooster then quit at 11:30.

We ran my 2 Bitts & Lab with 5 other Britts and they rocked!
The best is my youngest son Collin who is 11 took his 1st rooster. He now is known as "RoosterBoy". My oldest didn't get a shot but walked like a trooper all weekend:thumbsup:

All in all is was a great weekend, but still looking for the guy who shot my truck. Now have 7 pellet dents from another group who was hunting a wiha across from our private land we had our trucks parked by.

All in all is was a great weekend, but still looking for the guy who shot my truck. Now have 7 pellet dents from another group who was hunting a wiha across from our private land we had our trucks parked by.

They probably spied the JO county plates :D

haha...just teasin ya. Crappy thing that happened. If you report that to your insurance company they should cover that under your Comprehensive coverage if you have it on your policy. That typically doesnt affect your rates.

Ive worked as an insurance adjuster for a while, cant say Ive had that sort of claim reported to me yet. :cheers:

haha...just teasin ya. Crappy thing that happened. If you report that to your insurance company they should cover that under your Comprehensive coverage if you have it on your policy. That typically doesnt affect your rates.

Ive worked as an insurance adjuster for a while, cant say Ive had that sort of claim reported to me yet. :cheers:

Now this just made me laugh. :D

It's frustrating when the report has no location associated with it. How are we supposed to learn anything?

Our group had 10 hunters for half the day on Saturday and 6 after lunch. We hunted SW of Larned and saw a total of 4 roosters in a day and a half of hunting. Even the hens were scarce, we saw maybe 12. Got in to a few quail, 2 covies had less than 10 and one was about 20-25 birds. The group took a couple out of the big covey.

Thanks KsHusker, but got a buddy who does body work, but not havin it fixed till spring. I am going to use it all season as a reminder to hunters about making poor shooting decisions!:eek: More worried about my Momma Brit who is lymping pretty badly. I think she over did it this weekend but heading to the vet to be sure.

Kick'em up!

It's frustrating when the report has no location associated with it. How are we supposed to learn anything?

Our group had 10 hunters for half the day on Saturday and 6 after lunch. We hunted SW of Larned and saw a total of 4 roosters in a day and a half of hunting. Even the hens were scarce, we saw maybe 12. Got in to a few quail, 2 covies had less than 10 and one was about 20-25 birds. The group took a couple out of the big covey.

Frustrating when people don't give you their location for getting into birds, that's funny stuff right there? Unless you're family or a good buddy, you're not getting my fishing holes or my hunting spots. In fact, wouldn't even give them to most of my family members!

Thats what ya get for making your truck look like a rooster--I myself got rid of the rooster suit and nobody shot me this weekend unlike 2 weeks ago. Oh ya there was NO BLOCKING ALLOWED on my land last weekend and that may become a rule from now on.;)

Makes ya wonder just what lack of whatever lets these types pull the trigger.

Frustrating when people don't give you their location for getting into birds, that's funny stuff right there? Unless you're family or a good buddy, you're not getting my fishing holes or my hunting spots. In fact, wouldn't even give them to most of my family members!

LOL. x2....

Emil,

I understand your frustration, but really would you expect somebody to tell the masses where the birds were found? Many of us spend much time researching, scouting, and developing places to hunt. I would be willing to share what little intel i have with you through a pm, but the only specific locations you will se posted on here are people who got skunked or hunt mostly private. That is not to say that you won't pick up little tidbits on here from time to time, but there are many who are watching this site and others who never even post. Check out the bottom of the page always more visitors than members.

Paranoia reigns supreme!

Of course I don't expect anyone to tell me how many miles in a certain direction from a specific landmark or the page and parcel number from the WIHA map, give me a break.

Do you guys really think that a reference to a general area is going to bring hordes of hunters? Just a general reference like "Southwest Kansas" would be helpful. Without that, there is really no sense in posting anything at all.

We had three in our group with a lab, pointer and a pup gsp. We had a little bit of private ground to hunt but mostly walk in. On the private ground we saw a fair number of birds and a nice covey of quail, it was an 80 acre crp patch. The rest was creek bottom and tree lines, two years ago we saw four big coveys on that ground, this year nodda. The wiha around us was absolutly pounded by hunters, there wasnt a lot so everyone in the area was pretty much following eachother into the fields. We saw maybe a dozen pheasants on wiha all weekend and five small coveys of quail. Never fired a shot at the quail. I do believe I am done with the opening day circus on wiha from hear on out. My dad dropped me off at the top of a draw that ran down the middle of a 160. By the time I was half way down I had two other groups hunting on both sides of me. We were north and west of Stockton, dont mind saying where since half the world was already hunting that area. Did see a guy in a big group hunting wiha with a kid strapped to his back, hope the little guy had ear protection.

Paranoia reigns supreme!

Of course I don't expect anyone to tell me how many miles in a certain direction from a specific landmark or the page and parcel number from the WIHA map, give me a break.

Do you guys really think that a reference to a general area is going to bring hordes of hunters? Just a general reference like "Southwest Kansas" would be helpful. Without that, there is really no sense in posting anything at all.

Yes it does. The areas I went to last year were overrun with more people than I had seen EVER. I'll preface this with the fact I have always hunted the area since I lived there a few years back so my trips last year were not influenced by the internet chatter.

A lot of the traffic I believe had to do with the internet. :thumbsup:

The anonymity of the internet can sure bring out the immaturity in people. So much for my hopes of a friendly "community".

The community here is fairly friendly and helpful. Ask any question about anything related to hunting, dogs, guns, or pretty much anything else and you will get tons of help. I find the notion that people would get on here and ask specific info on hunting and bird numbers to be immature. Myself and my two boys shot 6 birds in 2 days. Also i missed the same almost exact shot both mornings, in the same field, at almost the same time. I hate the flush to the left, and quartering away. If it's on my right...... dead bird. Left side i suck.

Back