NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

At least it is a DRY heat. The new birds will be far and few in between this season.

When I saw that hatch of young quail flush ahead of me last evening at sunset, I said to myself, "Way to go Momma, you have done good!"

The momma has had some of the worst of conditions and still managed to pull it off. She is one good gal.

Here is a picture of the pasture conditions yesterday.

IMG_1016.jpg

Some gobblers looking for hoppers and there are plenty, just not very big yet, but if it would rain and things would green up, there would be some fat juicy hoppers for the birds.

IMG_1017-1.jpg

Last edited:
When I saw that hatch of young quail flush ahead of me last evening at sunset, I said to myself, "Way to go Momma, you have done good!"

The momma has had some of the worst of conditions and still managed to pull it off. She is one good gal.

Interesting as I have also seen several coveys of younge quail this past week. Now will have to see if they can make it through some tough drought conditions:mad:

It has been over eight months now without beneficial moisture. It is pretty brutal here at the moment. I pray that some soaking rains will find us soon and I would pray for a wet winter to replenish our deep reserves that have been exhausted.

I am seeing hen pheasants hanging with roosters like springtime and quail paired up like spring. I really think their bodies are wanting to pull off a hatch and should moisture and cooler weather come they just might do it. June is usually our big rainfall month, but nothing and August is usually terribly hot and dry. Some times at the end of August there will be a cold rain come through and send the dove a packing. Will see what this year brings. I did kick out a lesser prairie chicken today, quite a ways from their prime nesting habitat that flew fifty yards and went back down. I suspect she might have a nest there. I will be keeping my watch in that area. I would surely love to see a nice hatch of LPC.

Maynard, your prays are not falling on deaf ears, rain may be on the way for sure.
The monsoon (rain train) is firing up again with deep moisture from the S. Pacific and tropical Mexico.
But this time ( July 20) the atmosphere in the great Northwest might help us out.

Let me explain. Cold fronts are already showing signs of strength coming from British Columbia through Washington state. This time the cold front will pull some of the monsoon moisture more eastward.

Last month this time when the monsoon got started over Arizona and New Mexico the moisture moved straight north over N. E. Colorado, W. Nebraska and only N. W. Kansas got in on some of the good moisture action.

By Friday that N. W. cold front along the the dry line should pull some of that monsoon moisture more eastward towards S. W. Kansas and the Texas/Oklahoma panhandle.

Look at National Radar:
http://i.imwx.com/web/radar/us_radar_plus_usen.jpg

A little humor for the dry times out there...

How dry is it in Kansas?
A buddy out of Grainfield KS said he'd killed a mosquito that was carrying a canteen. A man in Dodge City KS said the chicken farmers were giving the chickens crushed ice to keep them from laying hard-boiled eggs. In Lake Carl Etling, they caught a 20 lb catfish that had ticks on it! But just this week, in Liberal, KS, a fire hydrant was seen bribing a dog. It's so dry in South West Kansas that the Baptists are starting to baptize by sprinkling, the Methodists are using wet-wipes, the Presbyterians are giving out rain-checks, and the Catholics are praying for the wine to turn back into water.
Now THAT's Dry!

Great post!

Wolf....

Great little post there....very funny indeed and a big reason I love this forum!

I sure hope you Kansas folk get some damn moisture and right soon!
Those pics of the fields and pasture all dried up are vivd and sad!

I have hunted kansas since the mid 90's.....
Love your hospitality and great hunting.

I hope to be making annual KS trips many moons from now!

We have had a little shower in Dodge and some promise for tonight at the Ponderosa. I pray that tonight's the night.

Anybody guess where Byrd is? He hasn't been on since last night when he posted about possible showers. He must be out mowing the grass:)

Just getting in from the ranch. A long hot day. Some showers around, but not a single drop at the Ponderosa.

I have got a momma chicken that I have my eye on. Hope she can pull off a clutch and I can get some pictures of them. She is using one of my deer food plots, which had triticale, Austrian winter peas, forage oats, turnips and other brassicas. The triticale has gone to seed and is standing about three foot tall. Might be just the perfect spot for her to make it happen. I hope soon to hear the pitter patter of little feet running around the ranch.

Last edited:
You guys ever come home and find something in your rain gauge? Got home tonight, lighting flashing all around, has been for a couple hours I guess, and there is 1/4" of liquid in the guage.

There is a little stuff west of you that might get you wet.
We are getting some pretty good rain up here, hope you get your share soon.

Back