NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Maynard, surely you got something tonite out of that solid line currently showing on the radar @ midnite across Ulysses, Garden City, Dighton/Ness all the way up to Hays & north, with scattered remnants even down near Hugoton/Liberal & trailing a solid mass all the way back to Lamar & Springfield, CO??? :confused:

If not, guess I need to ratchet up my prayers another notch & maybe start the rain-dance "wave" from over here...Could become the latest FOX/CNN newsrage on repeat/circle-loop, with people wondering why all the naked farmers & hunters suddenly popping-up/whirlygigging from the foothills across the southern plains of CO all the way thru thirsty/parched southern KS! :eek: :p

Been mostly bluster & fuss so far @ my house too w/a lot of lightning & thunder & very little meaningful rain - a complete opposite story on the northern half of the CO eastern plains/farmland from I-70 up (they're practically swimming)... :(

If that big High-Pressure that's been parked right on top of your head (providing moisture for CO) will move a wee bit east, maybe the earth-recharging floodgates will really open up for ya...

Last edited:
Just looked at the radar here and it looks like your rain dance is finally working. If the forecast is right, you ought to be getting rained on for almost six hours. That HAS TO add up to something! Hope you get a good soaking. :D

Just looked at the radar here and it looks like your rain dance is finally working. If the forecast is right, you ought to be getting rained on for almost six hours. That HAS TO add up to something! Hope you get a good soaking. :D

I hope you are right. Have to make a parts run this morning, then I will be headed to the ranch. Told my hired hand yesterday, "Here we are down in a waterway with the disc jacked up changing bearings, what if we get a downpour and we are up to our knees in water?" He said, "BRING it on!"

Will know in a few hours.

There were rain spots about every 3 inches on the daughter's car this morning, but the rain gauge had nothing to say. You in the same boat Maynard?

Don't know yet. I have parts to gather, then make the run to the ranch. Hope I have to lock the hubs in getting there.

Sorry you didn't get any.

No rain at the ranch last night, not even a sprinkle to settle the dust for a moment.

The cattle issue at the ranch is going critical. I think within the next few days I will have to seek emergency grazing on two CRP patches adjacent to my pasture, purchase hay and start feeding, or haul cows and calves to the sale barn. I hate to graze that CRP because it is my lesser prairie chicken area, but once approved all I have to do is open the gate. I have to work in eastern Colorado tomorrow, but Saturday I will do some driving in that CRP and see if I find any birds residing there, then make my decision on Tuesday.

A soaking rain would settle the issue in a most positive manner. I pray for that.

Yeah, Maynard, I have a similar problem except it isn't my cattle or income. I took the biologist around with me on my area yesterday to look at the grass. We are getting some response from the 3/4 inch of rain from Sunday, but it will be short lived with the forecast of 5 out of 7 coming days over 100 and no chance at rain. I'm going to have to decide when I have to remove cattle off of the W/A. I about bet we can't keep them to the end of the season on August 31. I hate to do it, but I'm responsible for these acres.

I hear you. Really not anything promising on the horizon. I have made it this long because I am down half in numbers, but it has run out. I likely will give FSA a call in the morning on my way west and see what I have to do. The easiest CRP patch is small and they would grub it out pretty quickly. Would need a back up plan to use another CRP patch that would take a little fencing, or purchasing hay. I had to purchase hay to finish out the winter because I didn't raise enough last year and this year I don't have any in the ground yet, but hope to have a little 35 acre irrigated patch ready to plant within the week. I am ready for the heavens to open up and pour out some much needed moisture.

If you guys didn't have bad luck, you would have none at all :eek: How the heck did that miss you.
We got another 1.5" last night. We look like Ireland.

Hang in there, its got to get better!

Better ain't where it's headed Steve! Every day is a step in the other direction. The averages won't add up. Evaporation from here on won't be offset by current moisture. We needed it already in the soil!

Oklahoma Drought is gettin worse

I've been following this thread and I must say that things look very bleak for all of us. :mad:

I've been following this thread and I must say that things look very bleak for all of us. :mad:

Not good and over a pretty large area. Will take one of those wet winters that tax you to the hilt with caring for the cattle, but I will gladly take it and start to put some moisture down deep. I am not one to complain of moisture in any form in this country.

I think atleast for OK it is to late. But agree, we will take anything at this point. Stock ponds are going dry, no hay and wheat crop and any row crops planted will not produce enough to put fuel in the tractor. We also had a crushing ice storm this past winter and a late frost that hit all fruit and berry trees. No acorns, no pecans, no wild plums.....wildlife will take a huge hit this year. Maybe some rain coming up from the gulf in the next few weeks may help stop the extreme fire danger.:mad:

We picked up .27 last night in 3 little showers. It'll help if it lasts longer than this afternoon! Maynard, did you get any of that popcorn shower stuff last night?

PD,

It came through last night about 10 as I was leaving the ranch. Don't know total, but from radar I would say a quarter inch at most.

Dang Maynard, looks like my prayer powers as a man of the cloth are in serious question...I'm livin in a tropical rainforest every day over here in the Denver foothills, looks like all the phez on the eastern CO side of the prairie north of I-70 must have grown webbing in between their toes & learned how to swim by now if they made it & you guys can't even get nary a drop with endless hideous temps to boot :confused: ...Why is it the Almighty never seems to take my advice on how to run His world??? :D :eek: :rolleyes: :(

We have had about 10 straight days of rain here in the NW corner. Getting pretty green around here. Actually mowed the grass twice this week.

I started making rain at 9PM tonight. I have 35 acres of poorer soil that I don't irrigate often, but it is the only possibility of raising winter hay for the cattle this year.

Was 108 today.

I have seen rain recently in SE Colorado, the Colorado foothills and NW Kansas, so I still remember what it is, just not at the ranch.

I was blessed with a beautiful sunset and an awesome moonrise.

I started making rain at 9PM tonight. I have 35 acres of poorer soil that I don't irrigate often, but it is the only possibility of raising winter hay for the cattle this year.

Was 108 today.

I have seen rain recently in SE Colorado, the Colorado foothills and NW Kansas, so I still remember what it is, just not at the ranch.

I was blessed with a beautiful sunset and an awesome moonrise.

At least it is a DRY heat. The new birds will be far and few in between this season.

Back