NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

the radar shows Dodge might have got another shot of rain/showers? how's that buffalo grass lookin' out there, Maynard?

Watching the radar. Looks like the Ponderosa has gotten some. My hired man and I will be headed that way soon. We have had a couple days of nasty wind. I have been watching my twelve year old trees and the leaves were showing distress from the high winds. Temps with the winds were just short of a hundred, which was better than last year. This country here is still in a deep drought and any relief of cooler temps and moisture is deeply appreciated.

No real response of the buffalo grass yet.

As always, thanks for your concerns.

0.30" this morning. Wind lightened today and it was really a nice day. Finding a few forage soybeans poking through in the deer food plots.

We got another good rain last night. Really help the situation here. Its amazing what a couple of 1-2" rains will do.

Hope that you guys to the SW start getting some every week or so.

Been gone for two weeks gettin' my son hitched. Had 1.04, .64, and .11 while I was gone! The CRP and pastures are looking better. On the down side, the farmer behind the house has already plowed and disked his stubble down to bare dirt. UGH! Then again, their birds may just move to my wildlife area.......hehe!

Maynard, if I may go off course, I'll tell you a story.

The son's new mother-in-law came over to tell us this story. She had reserved a block of rooms at the Quality Inn for the family and guests of the two families attending the wedding. One of her relatives came over to her at the wedding. This female relative said that she had been concerned about the accomodations after arriving at the motel. She said that there were three young men wearing swimming trunks and cowboy boots loitering in the hall of the motel. She was concerned that they might not be safe or perhaps their property might not be safe with these soddy looking men about. She said that her fears were somewhat relieved when she arrived at the rehearsal dinner and all three of the young men were at the head table with the soon-to-be mother-in-law and one happened to be the groom ( my son ) and his two groomsmen! I thought that was the take all story of the whole swaree!

We drove out, took about 4000 miles of driving round trip. We did swing by Yellowstone, the Grand Tetons, and Rocky Mountain National Park on the drive back. Other than the photographer being in the wrong town at the wrong park for the pictures, most everything went off without a hitch......other than the hitch we were there for.

Last edited:
That's funny stuff there PD! I remember wearing my swimming trunks and cowboy boots at every hotel we stayed in during my HS years. Never really noticed the funny looks but I'm sure we got some......don't think anyone ever stuck their foot in their mouth by telling mom we looked like potential criminals either:D That's a classic in-law story if I ever heard one.

That is awesome!:):D

Sounds like a wonderful trip. I went by the Grand Tetons and was in Yellowstone once. Don't remember the year, but I was there during the big fire. Was quite interesting to actually be in the park while the fire was going on and being there as a tourist.

Man the heat and the wind is really zapping things here. The forage soybeans I dusted in the deer food plots are starting to emerge from the rain last weekend. Hope to get some rains from time to time to bring them along. Some nice racks in the making. First time I have tried forage beans for the deer.

I have seen a few roosters and a few hens, heard some quail calling, but no hatches have been seen at the ranch to date, except an early turkey hatch. CRP grass is showing more green, but will probably back slide if heat and winds keep up. There will be the first American plum crop in the shelterbelt that was planted in 2000. Might have some acorns this year, if they don't abort like they did last year.

Better than last year, for sure, but still dry.

I really hope the weather forecasters are dead wrong about the upcoming weather forecast. 110*? 108*? Yall need some rain up there in a bad way and I pray you get it soon. I'll be hunting Kansas this year no matter the outlook. It's better than looking for non-existent quail in Texas.

I really hope the weather forecasters are dead wrong about the upcoming weather forecast. 110*? 108*? Yall need some rain up there in a bad way and I pray you get it soon. I'll be hunting Kansas this year no matter the outlook. It's better than looking for non-existent quail in Texas.

Thanks for the prayers.

I know there will be plenty of "hunting" opportunities in Kansas this fall---now successful bags, well, maybe not.

Interested in a guided hunt for Big Foot?:)
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2012/03/29/bigfoot-explorer-stomped-with-hefty-fines-for-lack-permit/

just got an email from my buddie who farms north of Russell.....109 yesterday, 107 today........same for rest of the week. :(

I drove from Manhattan to Colorado Springs and back Friday and Saturday. Hot windy and didn't see any pheasants along I-70.

Going to be a brutal day

20120626WX.jpg

Back