New Browning A5 in 16 ga.

If anyone is interested, Mr. Wakeman posted his review of the Sweet Sixteen, http://randywakeman.com/REVIEW2016BrowningSweetSixteenPartTwo.htm. If he's reviewing it, it must not be too far from reaching the public.

I will say that I have been looking at either the V3 or Montefeltro for my first shotgun and this one really intrigues me because for the next 5-10 years, I'll need one shotgun to serve the purpose of pheasant and ruffed grouse hunting.

He sure doesn't paint a real rosey picture of the new Sweet Sixteen. But sounds like trigger work and new chokes will take care of the issues. I think these guys are too critical of trigger pull in a shotgun. Totally different than when dealing with a rifle or pistol.

First post and I just moved to South Dakota a few months ago. Anyway, I bought an A5 Ultimate last year before hunting doves in the Imperial Valley of California. I killed many doves with it, but the Invector DS chokes had my really confused and wondering what I was doing wrong. After Buying another 5chokes to figure out what in the world was going on, I figured it out.

In the shotguns of my past: Remington, Winchester and older Brownings mostly, both with and without choke tubes; a Modified, was a Modified, was a Modified. That's what I wanted for my choke so I could shoot effectively from 20-50 yards without need for adjustment. In the new Invector DS choke system, you can save a lot of money and time spent by just "choking up". Meaning that a Modified marked Browning Invector DS choke does not perform like a traditional Modified, but pretty close to a Light Modified or maybe even an Improved Cylinder. I now shoot a Browning made Improved Modified to get the desired effect. The aftermarket Carleson and Trulock chokes marked "Modified" were tested by me and performed tighter than marked. The result was that I was chewing up everything I hit inside of 30 yards. The Carleson and Trulock chokes were more like a traditional Improved Modified choke. But maybe that's partially due to them being extended chokes and adding an inch to the barrel length. Aftermarket chokes don't come in flush fitting for Invector DS that I've found.

I respect Randy Wakeman's articles, but my trigger brakes at just over 6 pounds on my A5. Maybe that's too much, but I don't really notice a shotgun trigger pull unless I'm shooting slugs and really aiming vice pointing. I don't think a pound and a half should make a difference for upland shooting.

The new A5 was only a good gun for me the first season that I used it for 2 simple reasons. First, the improperly marked chokes; second the hefty pricetag; period. Now that I know what my chokes are actually doing despite the markings and my bank account has recovered, this year's pheasant season will determine if the A5 is a good or great shotgun. I have had zero function issues through about a case of shells. It handles great and looks great. On another side note, I would however prefer the old magazine cutoff vice the new one, but it's OK. Right now, I'm on the fence if my A5 will be sold or not. There is nothing wrong with my old Browning Auto 5's and my Gold.

Last edited:
birdbustr, welcome to the site. Not sure if you were aware that this thread was about the new A5 Sweet Sixteens that are not yet available. Anyway, interesting on the chokes but my guess is that most choke manufactures vary a little. Before choke tubes is was always kind of common knowledge that Browning guns were chokes a little tighter than others.

Now, back to the new Sweet Sixteens. I visited with my local gun shop today where I have one on order and they had just visited with the Browning rep. It appears they should be seeing them right after the first of the year. But don't hold your breath. Maybe, since it's not coming out until 2017 they should call them a "Sweet Seventeen". :D

Randy Wakeman is about as negative a person as you can find. He hasn't got a good thing to say about too much. I pretty much skip anything he writes.

I been shooting a new A5 3.5" Camo all fall for ducks. It took a little break in and since then. It has been flawless. Just came home from a week in South Dakota hunting ducks. Love the gun. I also use FP-10 lube on the rails exclusivity. Operates butter smooth and never misses a beat..Best modern auto I have used and I have had or shot pretty much all of them.

I just bought a new gun, would have liked the Sweet sixteen but the dealer has eight on order and no information when they will be shipped.

Looks like the company could communicate better with the dealers, if I knew it was going to be a month, or two months I probably would have waited, but an unknown time frame isn't what I was looking for.

Fp-10

Never tried or heard of fp-10. I use CLP breakfree and it sems to work pretty good. I'll give the other stuff a try. Just got back from SD and two of the group had A-5s and liked them.

Shooters Choice FP-10..working temp range from -49 to 500 above. You tube it. Some amazing test results under a load..

I was looking for information on the A5 Sweet 16 today and came across this thread. Good stuff. I'll be interested in your opinions of the gun when Browning ships them.

browning is HORRIBLE about getting any new firearm to the public on time. my local browning dealer told me to hold my breath until febuary-march 2017. he has always been right in the past. I'm kinda hoping they will bring out a blonde sweet 16. and I sure hope the 16 is a lot more tame on felt recoil than its 12 gauge big brother.

16 gauge were difficult to find to say the least, in my area of Indiana since getting a 16 gauge LC Smith and asking if the stores had any ammo, I can now get ammo for it at least at 5 different stores. I don't have to order it any more!

Long time since I've posted anything on this forum but couldn't resist joining this thread. I'm a long time A-5 fan and am fortunate to own a few good ones including a Sweet 16 (Miroku, not Belgium) and I've got to say that while I'm excited to see Browning is reviving it, I have to ask, WHAT HAPPENED TO THE REVERED MAGAZINE CUT-OFF???!!

It's one of the best features for auto loaders and frankly I've always wondered by other manufacturers never including that feature...

Magazine cutoff: I second the previous writers comment about the cutoff. A great feature and would assume fairly inexpensive to mfg. Anything that makes unloading a gun easy is a nice feature to have!

They must be out there. I think they are talking about carrying and shooting at least one on the 16ga forum. I saw a couple on Gunbroker but the profile just doesn't ring my bell. Good Luck!

Sweet 16 RE - Introduction

SAW my first one life in a gun store. the Clerk said they just received one gun from their opening order. Handled it, liked fit really well. The gun looks nice, and fit and finish looked good , one thing Not Wild about the glossy Epoxy finish... they had it on sale 1499.00, less another 10% Christmas special.

I have a a-5 made in the 20's, that I used a lot back in the day. 30 inch, full, no vent rib. Great gun!!! Seeing this post, makes me want to take it out.I havnt used it in years.

Back