New Browning A5 in 16 ga.

Northern Firearms on www.gunbroker.com has 8 new A5 Sweet Sixteens listed for sale at $1699 each.

They are Reeds Sporting Goods out of Walker Mn. Price may be higher at the retail store.

Just a heads up guys and ladies. :cheers::)

I can't quite wrap my head around that price. That's just really damn steep for an autoloader. It's not like it's this tried & true, nostalgic shotgun that's been proven to be the bee's knees for the past umteen years. My opinion is that if Browning needs to get that much for them to make some money, they're building them wrong. Great gun or not, I'll bet that at that price, they're discontinued relatively soon.

I can't quite wrap my head around that price. That's just really damn steep for an autoloader. It's not like it's this tried & true, nostalgic shotgun that's been proven to be the bee's knees for the past umteen years. My opinion is that if Browning needs to get that much for them to make some money, they're building them wrong. Great gun or not, I'll bet that at that price, they're discontinued relatively soon.

Yeah- that's outrageous . You can buy a really nice a-5, for 700.

Yeah- that's outrageous . You can buy a really nice a-5, for 700.

Not a Sweet Sixteen. If you want a really nice Belgium made A5 Sweet Sixteen you are going to pay approx. $1,200 and up. I think most of the new Sweets are selling in the area of $1,475. Reeds is a little out of line on their price. Once they discover they can't get that kind of money for them the price will likely drop. Generally Reed's is pretty competitively priced. I bought a 16 ga. Cirtori from them years ago cheaper than an I could find any place else.

Look at these new Sweet Sixteens this way. They are a brand new item to the market and have been in short supply. That usually demands a little higher price. Once the newness wears off and they are more abundantly available the price will come down.

They'll sell a few in the $1400-$1600 range, but not enough to continue production. That's my guess. $1200 for a really nice REAL S16 isn't apples to apples. There you're buying a great gun, but it's a classic, a collector's item. I'm a die-hard 16 shooter, but most guys are still going to want a 12 or 20, & I can't say I blame them. Some 3" 20 gauge loads are awful potent. This one new gun won't bring back the 16's popularity & it won't affect the ammo market. The only way that's ever going to happen is if there are a few good, reasonably priced 16's on the market.

In my opinion, the best a-5's, are pre 1959.After that, still good, but not as good.

Those of us that don't HAVE a Belgium-made A5 justify our Japanese models this way. Besides the obvious (screw-in chokes, steel-shot-ready barrels, etc.), we assume the Belgian gun makers of old PROBABLY spent the entire day sipping some real strong Belgian brew, and were reasonably schnockered by day's end. There's NO WAY one of these old guns, produced so irresponsibly, could hold a candle to the well-known superior modern production capability of the Japanese - with their CNC machines, morning calisthenics, and such. Just NO WAY!! Right? (and that, said very tongue-in-cheek, has to be good enough for us)

Lol- good one.I have an old a5,one time while floating the east gallatin, I dropped it in the river. Luckily,it wasn't deep. I fished it out, and on the next bend, a flock of mallards got up.I pulled the trigger, and banged off three shots.Amazing.

Let's see George my be looking to sell something for his new 16 and you would like to own a gun he has --

I think there may be a transaction in the making:):cheers:

Think I'm going to have to pass on the new Sweet Sixteen for this year. Spent my load on Elle before putting her down last fall plus the expense of a new dog. Little short on "hunting cash" right now. Besides, my 1960 Sweet is a heck of a gun and I have no intentions of selling my 16 ga. Citori. Now I do have a couple of rifles that I don't use any more that could be up for sale. Both Winchester Model 70's. One in .338 Mag and the other in .222 Rem.

David0311

Think I'm going to have to pass on the new Sweet Sixteen for this year. Spent my load on Elle before putting her down last fall plus the expense of a new dog. Little short on "hunting cash" right now. Besides, my 1960 Sweet is a heck of a gun and I have no intentions of selling my 16 ga. Citori. Now I do have a couple of rifles that I don't use any more that could be up for sale. Both Winchester Model 70's. One in .338 Mag and the other in .222 Rem.

When we meet up--may have to talk about the .338 mag.:rolleyes:

Neighbor here in AZ. Has 166 thousand acres in Oregon--tons of Elk--checking on license availability through land owner allotment if possible:cheers:

My family purchased the new A5 3.5" camo auto from Reeds. Cheapest price of anywhere.

As far as the price on the new Sweet Sixteens they are selling. They have 8 of them...That's unheard of by any other dealer. It's new and it's "Hot". Shot Show gun of the year. "And" if they are only made for a few years. They will demand very high prices for those who bought them, should they ever decide to sell it.

Benelli is pretty proud of their auto loaders. $1700 and up is common on many models.

As far as nice Belgium Sweet Sixteens, specially vent rib models. Check out Gun Broker. Many are commanding over $2,000 now. I wouldn't part with mine for nothing. I have a super rare model 37 Ithaca 16ga with AAA wood with a special order high rib trap barrel and a field bird barrel. Both with choke tubes. I have never ever seen another as neither has any other dealer. It is mint and stays in the gun safe, unless somebody wants it bad enough.

On another note, I NEVER pay high prices for any gun. I'm a very patient person. It took me several years to buy my Sweet Sixteen. Hours and hours on gun auction sites. "Tip" auctions ending on 3 day holiday weekends can be very good. A majority of people are distracted with the happenings of the holiday, specially summer outdoor holidays. Memorial, 4th of July and Labor day are great weekends to shop and stay alert to your auction. I have made some extremely good buys on those weekends.
:cheers:

I too looked for quite some time before finding the Sweet I was looking for. Mine is a 1960 Belgium with a 26" vent rib barrel choked IC. Gun was in good condition with some wear from use. Bluing was very good, wood has a few marks and most of the gold was worn off the trigger. But I was looking for a shooter not a wall hanger. I got it at a very good price because the stock had been cut and an ugly red rubber recoil pad added. I changed out the recoil pad for a black Browning one and that made a huge difference in looks.
SweetSixteen2.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Let's see George my be looking to sell something for his new 16 and you would like to own a gun he has --

I think there may be a transaction in the making:):cheers:

No dealing I got a 16ga Elsie, so I'm set......still may shoot Zeb's white lighting:cool:

No dealing I got a 16ga Elsie, so I'm set......still may shoot Zeb's white lighting:cool:

I can see we are going to be swapping 16's this fall. But that double trigger may turn Elsie into a single shot! :) What have you got for 16 ammo? For pheasants I've got mainly Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 5 or 6 shot.

On another note, I NEVER pay high prices for any gun. I'm a very patient person. It took me several years to buy my Sweet Sixteen. Hours and hours on gun auction sites. "Tip" auctions ending on 3 day holiday weekends can be very good. A majority of people are distracted with the happenings of the holiday, specially summer outdoor holidays. Memorial, 4th of July and Labor day are great weekends to shop and stay alert to your auction. I have made some extremely good buys on those weekends.
:cheers:

How much would a full side plate beretta sell for?

How much would a full side plate beretta sell for?

We're getting way off the subject on this thread. Want to talk Beretta? Start a new thread.

I can see we are going to be swapping 16's this fall. But that double trigger may turn Elsie into a single shot! :) What have you got for 16 ammo? For pheasants I've got mainly Fiocchi Golden Pheasant in 5 or 6 shot.

New to the 16 game so right now just have rst 2.5" for now and nothing for pheasants, just grouse and woodcock loads. You will get the hang of the double trigger.

I snapped and bought one

My Scheels had a couple for 1500. One had super nice wood and with the rebate of 100 off I ciouldnt walk away. Mine is 28 inch barrels. Another Browning in the old safe, I'll give a review once I shoot it, the many reviews out so far have been favorable. For me super light guns have caused muchas' misses in the past, hopefully the Sweet Sixteen is different. If not I'm keeping it anyways.

Back