Lets See Your Dogs..post some pic's

Freebyrd's 4 yo Field Golden Trigg

By the looks of things, I may be the only one on this site that hunts behind a Golden. Oh well, I guess that makes me particularly lucky.... ;). I'd remove all the burrs in the world for that Golden Nose.

Hunted S.D. last week with some friends from Wisc. This is on public walk in area day before they got there. Fast Tracks Upland Chase and Gunflints all Riled Up. 3 birds in 45 minutes and flushed 4 more roosters walking back to the truck.

Max new 2 year old EP from Shady Meadows Gun Dogs.
My 5th dog from Shawn. They are pretty tough.
bobby g:)

Hi Free: I love Goldens. My first dog was a Golden, Ginger who was a great hunter. We bred her to Righty all ready of Mpls and my brother took a male pup. That dog was fantastic. He trained her to crawl along with him on pothole crawls and as a general hunting dog he was outstanding on ducks, pheasant, sharttail. Your pics are great and bring back many memories.
Bruce

Nice dogs sc, and congrats on your hunt. Have you guys done any good on the chukar this year? We've been doing well on quail, but haven't made it out to try any partridge yet. Have you ever hunted the carizo plains? I hear they have good quail and chukar hunting.

Thanks QuailHound. I have not done well on the chukar this year. First time out tripped and broke my Berreta gunstock. Hunted out in the desert by Olancha and down by Ridgecrest. Have not hunted carrizzo planes but scouted them in Sept and seen some chukar and alot of quail. I don't think its a good year for chukar. Will try it soon hopefully. Hopefully will hunt for pheasant at Mendota this weekend. I always say getting a pheasant in Ca is like getting a deer in Mn as there are so few. Its quite an accomplishment. You need to come to one of our trials in Feb in Porterville.

My two cockers...hopefully will have have a new picture with pheasants hanging out of their mouths after my KS trip next week! Rocky (Black and Tan) is only 6 months in that picture, but he's coming along well. Next week will be his first hunt...finger crossed!

downloadfile-2-1.jpg

Cockerfan

The B&W looks allot like a Springer, beautiful dogs what size are they.

They should look a little like the Springers, as they are from the same stock originally. They've definitely turned into different dogs since then, but in a lot of ways they look like a miniature Springer. Macy (B&W) is about 27 pounds. Rocky was only 6 months at the time of that photo, and now at 7 months he's about 27 pounds as well. I suspect that he will top out around 32-33 pounds. In spite of their small size, they have no problems retrieving upland birds. Rocky retrieved a Mallard to hand at 5.5 months and a rooster at 6 months. The Mallard posed some problems, but he had absolutely no problems with the rooster...made it look like he's been doing it for a long time.

Here are some more pictures of them:
DSC00160a.jpg

2010-09-25173016.jpg

CIMG8239.jpg

2010-09-10115336.jpg

CIMG8167.jpg

CIMG3139.jpg

Nice dogs, I ran into a guy in North Dakota with 2 EC and I couldn't believe how small they were, and how they could bring back a Pheasant. He brought back lots of Pheasants every night, I don't know how they get through the thick high cover.

They go under it and over it, but rarely through it:) They actually don't seem to have any problems with it at all. I make sure they are exposed to cover from an early age, and I think they learn how to get through it the easiest way possible. They're tireless too...I have hunted Macy for 9 hours in a day, and although she was completely wiped out at the end of the day, she kept going to the entire time.

Last edited:
Not so fast....

Those are some great looking goldens. I love the heads on both of them! My dad had a couple of goldens when I was growing up. My brother and I each had a lab and my dad had his goldens...we killed a lot of birds, and I don't recall losing any in the last few years that we had those dogs. They were machines. It's too bad there are so many cool breeds out there...I wish I could have one of each.

They go under it and over it, but rarely through it:) They actually don't seem to have any problems with it at all. I make sure they are exposed to cover from an early age, and I think they learn how to get through it the easiest way possible. They're tireless too...I have hunted Macy for 9 hours in a day, and although she was completely wiped out at the end of the day, she kept going to the entire time.

great looking dogs. I was looking high and low for a ECS, but ended up with an ESS. She's turned out to be a tiny one though. Fillmore at 15mos is only 28#'s! I'd love to see your cockers next to my pup. My guess is it would be hard to tell their different breeds. I think the next addition could be an ECS.

Back