inside or outside

Maggie&Max-GSP

Does a dog that is kept inside hunt better than a dog that is kept outside? or the other way.

one of my dogs are inside and my opnion is that she's better than all of my other dogs that are kept in the kennel. whats your input?

Does a dog that is kept inside hunt better than a dog that is kept outside? or the other way.

one of my dogs are inside and my opnion is that she's better than all of my other dogs that are kept in the kennel. whats your input?

My grandfather always told me "You'll never make a good hunting dog keeping it inside." In my experience I've found him to be wrong. However, my dad has a dog that is a sister of my male GSP (he lives outside). My male is a good dog for his age. There was no difference in potential in their first 5 months of training, even the first couple hunts she was on, she was just as good as him. After be spoiled rotten in the house for 9 months and gaining way too much weight, she's been useless in the field this season. She just doesn't seem to care at all to hunt now, but she'll fetch a newspaper like nobody's business. It is important to note that the guy that owns her (the guy that raised me) has had siblings to other good dogs of mine in the past and he's ruined every one of them. He doesn't abuse them or anything....I take em' for their puppy months and train em' w/ mine, then after he has em' for awhile they're terrible (the first one was an outside dog and still failed miserably). I've had a rough day at work, so I hope I got enough of the story out it is worth your while.

To sum all this jargain up for ya, I don't think inside or outside is as critical as all the other inputs to be considered!

my dad was the same way. He used to have great dogs, always said you would ruin them if they were let inside. I never questioned that until I went to Iowa with a friend and his dog which slept in bed with him and his wife most of the time. I never saw a better pointer in my life. That dog worked hard and loved to please. I treat my dogs well, inside with a bunch of kids spoiling them now. When it is time to hunt they hunt. I think some good training is the best investment.

I'll disagree that a inside dog is not a good hunter. I have had both and have come to this conclusion. What is in the breed-in genes determines a dogs ability to hunt. To me it is as simple as that. Good breeding produces good hunting dogs......Bob

I think it depends on the dogs. Certain breeds have a tendency to need more human interaction then others. Many ES's for instance could care less about human interaction, as long as they are hunting. Many britts need that interaction to reach full potential IMO. If I wanted an outside hunting dog who was a just a hunting tool, Id lean towards an ES. If I wanted an inside dog who was a great hunting dog and a family friend, Id lean towards a Brit or a GSP. With that said, I will always believe that a dog who is raised in a loving and carrying family enviornment will outperform dogs who are left in kennels all day. I believe that a dog who you have a good bond with will perform better because they want to hunt for you and make you happy.

I like Bob's assumption that good breeding produces good gun dogs and not indicative of whether they live indoors or out.

As for trying to decide which is best for you. I must say, for some, hunting dogs maybe just a tool. To pull out of the kennel during the fall months to help chase our passion. But for the vast majority of us they are part of our families. We share each others lives together 12 months of the year and hunting is only but a few months. IMO pups that are started out indoors and allowed to live their lives in and around the family members develop a closer bond. Their pack animals by nature and the family is looked upon as their pack.

Nothing wrong if someone doesn't wish to keep them inside, some may not have a choice. I just feel you'll never truly see their personality for what it is, if they are kept outdoors.

FWIW

There is some very discussion here. I like Jetjockeys reasoning, it does make a lot of sense. Keep this going I for one like it........Bob

As long as you work with the dog it bears no meaning either way. Both will be great if you work with them. You may have one better then the other, and he may be inside, but put him out side and bring the other in and now your best dog is out side. You simply get out of them what you put into them.

I am sure that dogs kept outside hunt just fine, I just would rather have them around. I think my son agrees.

:coolpics: Jeff. I agree! Our bird season is 5 months long, I hunt my dog a few times for rabbits starting in July and hit the preserve a few times in Feb and march. Even though I can hunt something for 9 months a year I still love having a couch potato for the other 3. All he needs to get amped up is to see a shotgun or briar pants and he is all business.

I think it depends on the dogs. Certain breeds have a tendency to need more human interaction then others. Many ES's for instance could care less about human interaction, as long as they are hunting. Many britts need that interaction to reach full potential IMO. If I wanted an outside hunting dog who was a just a hunting tool, Id lean towards an ES. If I wanted an inside dog who was a great hunting dog and a family friend, Id lean towards a Brit or a GSP. With that said, I will always believe that a dog who is raised in a loving and carrying family enviornment will outperform dogs who are left in kennels all day. I believe that a dog who you have a good bond with will perform better because they want to hunt for you and make you happy.

thats the way i feel.

All my dogs live inside and sleep in bed with me. I wouldn't have it any other way. They perform just fine.
I will say, though, that the advantage that outside dogs have to my guys are that the outside dogs may be better acclimated to the weather.
Not to say inside dogs won't hunt just fine in the cold, because they will, but outside dogs coats are going to be a bit thicker then, say, mine.

Taking a dog that used to 70degrees and putting him into 35de water or a wind chill of below O can be real hard on them! You need to be careful!

I also had heard the story of if you didn't keep them kenneled up, all they'd do is run rabbits and not be fit to bird hunt. When I was growing up dad had a half shorthair/half irish seeter (or brittany, not really sure...). That dog was dad's bird dog, but he was the family farm dog first. Only time he saw a chain was when it was deer season and dad needed to slip into the timber behind the house for a few hours. The rest of the time he spent doing whatever he wanted, traveling between our house, grandpas house, and great grandmas house, all within 1/2 mile of each other on the farm.

When the shotguns came out, it was game on. Dad never field trialed, but I'd put that half-breed shorthair against anything out there. He'd retrieve like there was no tomorrow, as long as he didn't have to swim. Wading was ok, but no swimming.

My 1 1/2 year old shorthair lives in the house when we're home, she is outside when we're at work. I lost track of the number of points she had this weekend on a local pay as you go place.

Taking a dog that used to 70degrees and putting him into 35de water or a wind chill of below O can be real hard on them! You need to be careful!

Very true, my dogs are all house dogs. I wouldn't have it any other way but I do have to be careful during late season especially if the hotel is not dog freindly. Learning the signs of hypothermia is just plain smart no matter where your dog lives.

one of my dogs are inside and my opnion is that she's better than all of my other dogs that are kept in the kennel. whats your input?[/QUOTE

I have to many to keep inside. 4 EPs and 4GSPs and 3 Beagles. They have a super nice kennel. Thing is getting them out ALOT. I clean the kennels twice a day and spend some time with them all . 2 get worked or just out everyday. Sundays unless field trialing they all get some time in the field. They get to point and retieve birds all year long, we really dont have any down time on the farm.They know when the gate opens or the polaris pulls up its go time. I keep a 6 dog trailer hooked up on the tractor or the polaris so I can take 6 at a time if I feel the need. I do have a litter due in May and that may be a trick. But I own the company and can move my time as needed.;):thumbsup:

Very true, my dogs are all house dogs. I wouldn't have it any other way but I do have to be careful during late season especially if the hotel is not dog freindly. Learning the signs of hypothermia is just plain smart no matter where your dog lives.
A veterinarian friend of mine all most lost his German short hair retrieving ducks out of a river he had to carrie the dog to his truck turned the heater on hi and worked on her to save her. If a vet can miss the sines any one can!

Back