I like this guy

Status
Not open for further replies.

birdman652001

Lawmaker: If Health Care Required, Why Not Guns?
Published: February 1, 2011, 10:34 AM

PIERRE, SD - If the federal government can require every person to buy health insurance, a South Dakota lawmaker says the state can require every person to buy a gun.

That's the logic behind a bill proposed by Rep. Hal Wick, a Republican from Sioux Falls. Wick's proposal would force every South Dakotan over the age of 21 to buy a firearm for self-defense. He argues that such a requirement makes sense to "provide for everyone's protection," just as supporters of the health care legislation say all Americans need coverage.

Wick says he believes the bill won't pass but he introduced it to make the point that the health care mandate is unconstitutional. South Dakota is among 26 states that have sued the federal government over the health care overhaul.

i agree with him.

Stupid analogy ----

How much does it cost the tax payers of South Dakota because not every person has a gun to self defend themselves??? I would guess --- ZERO!!!!

How much does it cost the tax payers of South Dakota because people don't have health insurance?

2009 -- 629 million
2010 – 673 million

Not having heath insurance in most cases is irresponsible. Some peoples' priorities are ridicules.

I have heath insurance, long term care insurance, accidental insurance, disability insurance, mortgage disability insurance.
Yes, it seems like a lot of money each month but, I have the peace of mind that somebody else doesn't have to pay for my hard aches.

Now, I don't agree with federal healthcare, but this guy wasting time on the is really stupid.

at one point. if you didnt have health care by mandatory, you go to jail or a hefty fine. for those who cant afford health care and isnt working, how are they going to pay a fine if they cant afford health care?

Im not saying DONT get health insurance, but what im saying, if you can afford it, go for it, if you cant, then dont get it. ppl like yourself that have insurance, awesome.. I have it only through work. If i was un employed, i probably wouldnt buy it since paying or missing bills can ruin your credit. when people are under paid, its hard to maintain things like that and food on the table is more important than Health Insurance if you dont go to the doctor that often. I only go if i get a major pain, employee requirements, other than that, ive only been to the dr once last year.

i mean if I was to shell out health insurance, i want them to pay 100% dr visit, emergency visit and i expect them to pay 100% of my pills. since they dont, screw that. whats the point of having insurance if they wont cover 100%? I'll stick to my insurance i have through employement. if i get fired or quit, i dont have to be sitting in jail with a clean record that i have.

Last edited:
In Iowa, you are required to have auto insurance to drive. To answer your statement that's why you need a public option to make it affordable for everyone and to protect those who can't afford health insurance, have limited coverage, or are denied once they become sick. We can't keep our heads in the sand forever. That's great you have insurance through your employer, but not everyone has that option.

Social Security is another federal program that most people have no choice but to follow.

These "unconstitutional" arguments are interesting--they are awfully selective!

Yea something needs to be done and I am glad the gov is going to take charge because they do everything great.

The simple fact of the matter is it would be nice to guarantee health insurance for every one, but we can't afford it. Just like it would be nice to drive a new truck but I can't afford it so I can't have it.

I think people underestimate the dampening effect on the economy that lack of quality/affordable health care leads to.

How many brilliant people, or people with fantastic ideas and tremendous work ethic--are working menial jobs--because of the health insurance they can get through that employer?

How many don't even think about starting their own business due to health insurance cost fears?

How many would invest more if not for concerns over the cost of their health insurance?

How many brilliant people, or people with fantastic ideas and tremendous work ethic--are working menial jobs--because of the health insurance they can get through that employer?

How many don't even think about starting their own business due to health insurance cost fears?

How many would invest more if not for concerns over the cost of their health insurance?

Probably a very true statements. But I still like an act “to provide for an individual mandate to adult citizens to provide for the self defense of themselves and others.”

I also think it is quite funny that you are allowed to "acquire a firearm suitable to their temperament, physical capacity and personal preference sufficient to provide for their ordinary self-defense".

Last edited:
Before enacting "free health care", the government, in their infinite wisdom should enact legislation that requires medical insurance providers to be not-for-profit organizations. Institutions and investors who make a profit off of medical insurance in my opinion is absurd, and the tax payer shouldn't be responsible for lining the pockets of these companies.

I had thought about starting up a towing business here, but i didnt start because of this health care. it could hurt me and put me farther in debt for that reason. So i didnt pursue the business yet.

Oh my, no matter how I would explain just what would happen to you, should you become sick and unable to work, you would still think you know it all and you have prepared yourself. You have a big surprise coming to you.. Many think they know everything on this matter and have made all the plans should it happen to them. You are so ill informed. First thing, your employer/union will do is, stop paying your insurance Prem. the first month you can't work. Hmmm, when do you really need your insurance? in case of catastrophic health issues...most of the time, you will be unable to work in such a situation. Next, you will get a letter telling you, you can pay your own Prem. In most cases, it will run you $700.00 to as much as $1500 per month. Just how you going to pay that, you are unable to perform your job, you have no income? Next, you have credit life disability on your loans. No problem right? wrong! They will require you to visit a doctor each and every month to have disability forms filled out. Many times, the doctor can cost you near what the payment would have been. The insurance company with go back 10 or more years, looking for some pre-existing condition that would let them deny you coverage. It can take months, as much as a year for them to start paying. Meanwhile, you are expected to keep the accounts current. The current system is geared for you to fail in every way possible and for no insurance company to have to pay one single claim. Who needs catastrophic health care coverage that won't continue when your catastrophically ill? Many have high deductible($3,000). Well you pay as much as $1600. a month for family coverage. Many never use up the deductible in a year. Never getting a single benefit. Then when you become ill enough to need it. They stop paying your Prem. CROOKS!!!! Take your money with promise of protection. Then don't have to pay anyways. Theft by swindle. Unless you had a team of lawyers who read your phone book thick policy. You are in for such a lesson, it's unreal.

Good to hear some logical responses on this thread. While there are MANY variables and externalities that contribute to our clusterf#@k that is healthcare, in my opinion, there is one singular conflict of interest at heart: Health insurance companies are FOR PROFIT. They will continue to scam people until a better system is devised which I believe is happening. At least we have a start.

I just wanna' die like granpa',.." peacefully in my sleep".. unlike his screaming passengers.

This Health Care crap that was pushed through by the Democrats was completely unconstitutional. But that doesn't seem to matter to them anymore because their all about big government. Making people less responsible, punishing people that work, and redistributing wealth. They didn't even read the health care bill, they had to pass it just to see what is in it. Half the states in the country now have a lawsuit against Obamacare. Good. I applaud the bill in SD that was brought up, the guy was just trying to prove a point. I'm tired of my health insurance going up, to pay for everyone else this administration makes look like a victim. They are spending other peoples money, and that's perfectly fine with them, because those that choose not to do anything with their lives, and live off the rest of us, are the victims, right?

As far as I'm concerned, I thought people in this country were beginning to wake up to what this president is trying to do. His SOTU was rediculous. I mean the guys comparing us to China and basically telling us their better than us. Please!!!!! All his Green Job talk is nonsense. He needs to find solutions for permanent jobs, not stimulus money to pay for temporary jobs.
Solar Shingles and Sputnik, my goodness. He's comparing them......

Go invent people, invent stuff, sure we will, because I guess he say's so. America will not pull out of this recession because of anything this administration does, we will get out of it because of the Americans that work hard everyday and make this country what it is and always has been. There's my two cents.
:cheers:

So Labman, what's your advice to those that had full coverage health insurance, got sick, lost it's coverage, due to it becoming cost prohibitive. What should happen to these people? Now they have preexisting conditions and are not insurable.

Last edited:
Well, since I work in the health care industry, I see how medicare and medicaid are bankrupting the system. Sure, there needs to be reform onpoint. I don't disagree. But as average American citizens like you and me. Whether your democrat, republican, independent, liberatarian, whatever, you can tell me straight to my face and the others on here, that shoving a complete health system overhaul down our throats without our own people reading it, that's not disturbing to you? I know people that have no insurance, and one that needed knee surgery but her and her husband chose not to have health insurance, went in, had her knee surgery, 1 income I guess, nearly retired, and they didn't have to pay a dime. She was tickled about it. Well, who gets to pick up the tab. So regardless of people having insurance or not, these people that can't afford it, they are still getting the care the rest of us have but were paying for it, it gets passed onto taxpayers. It's a broke system. I have insurance through my employer and it has gone up the past 2 years. My co-pay is $60, that's getting pretty tough to do, especially living pay check to pay check. My 15 week old baby just spent 3 1/2 days in childrens hospital with pneumonia, I have some major health care debt, but I pay what I can. I want to take care of my family, do you understand, my family, it's hard enough to do that, let alone have a president come in here and pass some health care crap that he say's isn't going to increase our premiums, well, your supporting a complete liar then, as everyone's are going up that I know of. I guess that's how I feel. No offense to you onpoint or anyone that disagrees. :cheers:

Have you ever been turned away and refused service?

I have been diagnosed with possible cancer by a CT scan from a trip to ER. They tell me I need exploratory surgery to confirm. I was scheduled for a Pre OP this last week. When I went in, I was turned away because I have lost my insurance. They demand payment first or me and my possible cancer can go grow together. Have you ever drove home with your wife balling, wondering if she's going to loose her husband? Heath care for profit is a complete failure.

This goes on, well we supply full coverage national health care for the entire countries of Iraq and Afghanistan. Paid for by U.S. war efforts.

Health care that also covers those trying to kill our sons and daughters over there fighting.

healthcareworld.jpg

Check out the countries in orange

It was said this week, we give Egypt over a billion dollars in aid every year.

I think it's time we spend our tax dollars on a national health care system that "All" our citizens could benefit from. I'll agree I'm against the demand that you buy health care coverage. It should be run much like Switzerland's or Canada

http://www.politicolnews.com/republicans-deny-children/
"The good news is: Republicans want you to pay for Iraqi citizens to have health care coverage. Over and over again for the past 8 years -the US taxpayer has paid for an “oil rich country” to have universal health care for all citizens."

Last edited:
I think people underestimate the dampening effect on the economy that lack of quality/affordable health care leads to.

So how is Obamacare going to help anyone starting a business???
If you are working a menial job just for insurance benefits you are not brilliant. You do not have any good ideas either. How about a little fortitude and additude. Tremendous work effort will get you well beyond a menial job. Sorry, but you are off 180 degrees.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back