how did ugude's camps do?

UGUIDE'S 6th camp data is in...it is in Highmore, I believe...6 hunters bagged 21 birds for 3 days...about 7 a day for the group, an average of about 1.2 per day per hunter....grand total, for the opener weekend, spread across the good pheasant territory of SD, and all 6 camps that he has, his guys averaged about 1.6 birds a day...again, not terrible...to me, the thing I value the most about my bird hunting, is the ability to walk nice ground and not have to worry about hunting pressure...that is why I love sharptail hunting...but I digress...so having private land to hunt is a real treat, and that is what UGUIDE provides. If you are lucky like me and can do much hunting midweek, the public areas are pretty decent Tue-Thur...but not always! Scouting and experience are valuable...and contacts...and time studying the weather trends...best of luck to all, including the remainder of UGUIDE's hunters this season...

I hate to say this but if I was booked to one of his camps that got hit hard
This year because of drought or hail and could not get my money back and
Had flight plans etc.I would request that he plant some birds so at least
You could get some dog work and have a little fun.Certainly would Not
Book For Planted Birds.The Best Case Would Be if he returned money
For that camp.Looks like he has a couple of camps that are not good this year through no fault of his own.

I hate to say this but if I was booked to one of his camps that got hit hard
This year because of drought or hail and could not get my money back and
Had flight plans etc.I would request that he plant some birds so at least
You could get some dog work and have a little fun.Certainly would Not
Book For Planted Birds.The Best Case Would Be if he returned money
For that camp.Looks like he has a couple of camps that are not good this year through no fault of his own.

I hear you...I guess that is one of the downsides of being "locked in" to a specific geography/farm...I have kind of been locked in for my 27 years of bird hunting in SD...mostly it has been OK...a few years not so much! Maybe it is all coincidence, but this is first year I sensed kind of a different approach from UGUIDE...looking back, it may have been a desire to keep his hunters booked...duh, I guess...eh?....and his hunter success data in the past week was disseminated with the best results being published first...the two camps that limited, and maybe his main camp where they did 1.1 bird per hunter per day...then it kind of trickled in from there, which may just be how it happened, but this data can be computed in 15 seconds with a phone call on the last day of the hunt...understandably, perhaps a bit reluctant to put that data out...maybe not...maybe I am being a bit harsh. Bottom line, I have thought about this next point ALOT over the past 3-4 months: You may not like me, you may not want to hunt with me, you may not want to have a beer with me. Fine. But I will tell you that I have NEVER misled anyone on this board...I have never used it for my personal gain...I have always tried to be helpful to whoever needs it (ok, I won't give away my sacred spots!)...I operate in good faith here, though we can disagree or debate in a robust fashion at times. But we are all remarkably similar in our interests and our beliefs (mostly!). So, if I sense someone is playing games, being disingenuous, misleading, etc, it really bothers me. Seems to me that there was ALOT of this back in July and August and September...and now, it has been 23 days since one of the most active participants on this board has chimed in for some reason. Probably busier than heck, yes, but it just seems odd. And I take no pleasure in the fact that bird #'s DO appear to have been hammered by the drought...wish it weren't the case. Hope everyone in the hunting biz weathers the storm, especially those that don't release birds!!!

I hear you...I guess that is one of the downsides of being "locked in" to a specific geography/farm...I have kind of been locked in for my 27 years of bird hunting in SD...mostly it has been OK...a few years not so much! Maybe it is all coincidence, but this is first year I sensed kind of a different approach from UGUIDE...looking back, it may have been a desire to keep his hunters booked...duh, I guess...eh?....and his hunter success data in the past week was disseminated with the best results being published first...the two camps that limited, and maybe his main camp where they did 1.1 bird per hunter per day...then it kind of trickled in from there, which may just be how it happened, but this data can be computed in 15 seconds with a phone call on the last day of the hunt...understandably, perhaps a bit reluctant to put that data out...maybe not...maybe I am being a bit harsh. Bottom line, I have thought about this next point ALOT over the past 3-4 months: You may not like me, you may not want to hunt with me, you may not want to have a beer with me. Fine. But I will tell you that I have NEVER misled anyone on this board...I have never used it for my personal gain...I have always tried to be helpful to whoever needs it (ok, I won't give away my sacred spots!)...I operate in good faith here, though we can disagree or debate in a robust fashion at times. But we are all remarkably similar in our interests and our beliefs (mostly!). So, if I sense someone is playing games, being disingenuous, misleading, etc, it really bothers me. Seems to me that there was ALOT of this back in July and August and September...and now, it has been 23 days since one of the most active participants on this board has chimed in for some reason. Probably busier than heck, yes, but it just seems odd. And I take no pleasure in the fact that bird #'s DO appear to have been hammered by the drought...wish it weren't the case. Hope everyone in the hunting biz weathers the storm, especially those that don't release birds!!!

I agree with you BB.the difference to me would be with uguide you have a relationship with him not farmer.Look at Haymaker that guy is a stand up guy.He tells his hunters what is fact.his hunters certainly appreciate That.
I would to and I would not worry about money as his hunters
already have stated.They want to help out during this bad spell.
HATS OFF TO HAYMAKER

Last edited:
I agree with you BB.the difference to me would be with uguide you have a relationship with him not farmer.Look at Haymaker that guy is a stand up guy.He tells his hunters what is fact.his hunters certainly appreciate That.
HATS OFF TO HAYMAKER

much agreed....much agreed.

BTW, where is Uguide? Haven't seen him on here lately. He was quite vocal before the season but since it started he's been conspicuously silent.

my point exactly...don't know...don't want to bash him, but much of what he had to say this summer was utter BS...Do we call him "UHIDE"? "ULIED?" Ok, I am stooping to low levels...my apologies...but those are such slam dunks, I had to "go there"...yeah, he's been gone since 10/7....strange time to vanish...I'm sure he'll reappear and provide interesting anecdotes. I hope his operation does well, it is much needed. I did revisit his rates for 2018...hadn't looked for a while...about $1,000 per trip, +/-...earlier are a bit more, later are a bit less...two camps run 4 day hunts, the others are 3 days...for the latter, you get 4 nights lodging, and 3 hunting days...I was just in Huron last weekend, and paid $50 a nite per guy at a moderate hotel...but I liked it a lot, actually...so, that would equate to about $265/day for land access using UGUIDE's pricing....not cheap...if you don't have to take a trip in the spring or summer to scout, and you spare yourself those $, this is not bad. Especially since you are hunting pretty first class land, from what it appears in the descriptions. Nothing you can do about this year...mother nature had her own plans for the high plains!

Last edited:
Well, since this is his busiest time of the year, I'm sure he's a very busy guy!!!!!

Benelli Banger, you say your a stand up guy and always tell the truth on here and shoot straight with people?

I find it interesting how you have so much time on your hands to continually bash some guy on here and the moderators do nothing about you!!!

Your all tough and think you know it all sitting behind a keyboard, evidently.

BTW, where is Uguide? Haven't seen him on here lately. He was quite vocal before the season but since it started he's been conspicuously silent.

Well, since this is his busiest time of the year, I'm sure he's a very busy guy!!!!!

Benelli Banger, you say your a stand up guy and always tell the truth on here and shoot straight with people?

I find it interesting how you have so much time on your hands to continually bash some guy on here and the moderators do nothing about you!!!

tough? Not at all. I find what he had to say all summer reprehensible...have you read the "forecasts" he put out on his website? Chris is a guy I have chatted with for over 10 years, mostly via this forum...we did chat on the phone I believe about 7 or 10 years ago to try and hunt together. If you read carefully, I say lots of nice things about his operation as well. If he has a problem with my comments, or the moderators, please respond to me! I don't like game players. I am not playing games. Your comments and critique about me are welcome...that is your opinion, that is OK. Hey, I screw up all the time, and don't mind being told of it. So far you are the first to object to my comments in a while...seems like there are quite a few who side with me. I am leaving tomorrow for another hunt, not home til Sunday...then I leave the following wednesday, not home til sunday...then i leave the following wed, not home til sunday...you won't have to put up with too much of me for the next 3 weeks...enjoy! good hunting to you all...

Last edited:

does having time on my hands make me a bad guy? I am not tough, but I am 2-0 in the fights I have been in....

Sitting behind the keyboard does nothing in terms of my knowledge of bird hunting...or guns...or dogs...or cultivating land for bird habitat...hunting over 40 days a year in the Dakota's annually for the past 20+ years helps...as does having had 2+ hunting dogs for the past 20 years...as does being a landowner in SD who has worked hard at creating wildlife habitat...and also, assisting a farmer friend of mine with the hunting ground that he has...guys like Chris (U Guide) know a heck of a lot more than me in probably all these categories...but in my opinion you need to be straightforward if you're going to participate in forum's like this. If the moderators or UGUIDE want to ban me or admonish me or ask me to cut him some slack, I sure will. Hasn't happened yet. Like I said, I still have 6 SD trips left, weather permitting....you won't have to put up too much of me for the next 2 months. Hope you have a spectacular season, Birddog 23.

Well Good for You!!!!!!!

I also have a lot of those same credentials growing up in SD and hunting there for 35 years. I have family with private land and, I've helped farm it.

I just think it's a Joke how you can get on here and bash somebody's business! That's my only point.

Maybe you should work harder on creating wildlife habitat, rather than sitting behind your keyboard bashing on another guy that sure the hell is out there trying to create wildlife habitat and run a business. I'm sure everyone of his customers study up on if they should go hunting or not at UGUIDES camps each year. That's their business.

does having time on my hands make me a bad guy? I am not tough, but I am 2-0 in the fights I have been in....

Sitting behind the keyboard does nothing in terms of my knowledge of bird hunting...or guns...or dogs...or cultivating land for bird habitat...hunting over 40 days a year in the Dakota's annually for the past 20+ years helps...as does having had 2+ hunting dogs for the past 20 years...as does being a landowner in SD who has worked hard at creating wildlife habitat...and also, assisting a farmer friend of mine with the hunting ground that he has...guys like Chris (U Guide) know a heck of a lot more than me in probably all these categories...but in my opinion you need to be straightforward if you're going to participate in forum's like this. If the moderators or UGUIDE want to ban me or admonish me or ask me to cut him some slack, I sure will. Hasn't happened yet. Like I said, I still have 6 SD trips left, weather permitting....you won't have to put up too much of me for the next 2 months. Hope you have a spectacular season, Birddog 23.

actually I wish I was banned...I spend way too much time here...like I said in an earlier post, I am a substandard husband, father, etc...I could be so much better if I didn't spend so much time on this board and UplandJournal.com...and 16gauge.com...and DoubleGunshop.com...and Doubleshotguns.com...and DogsandDoubles.com ...and Shotgunworld.com...

Well Good for You!!!!!!!

I also have a lot of those same credentials growing up in SD and hunting there for 35 years. I have family with private land and, I've helped farm it.

I just think it's a Joke how you can get on here and bash somebody's business! That's my only point.

Maybe you should work harder on creating wildlife habitat, rather than sitting behind your keyboard bashing on another guy that sure the hell is out there trying to create wildlife habitat and run a business. I'm sure everyone of his customers study up on if they should go hunting or not at UGUIDES camps each year. That's their business.

with all due respect, sir, you need to read...or re-read, what i have consistently said about UGUIDE's operation...it isn't the operation I have bashed...it is the disingenuous crap that has come out of his mouth. I have done nothing but compliment his operation...I think you have been focusing on a few recent sound-bites...I bet I have said 20 times that I think he does a great service and runs a terrific operation, and that I suspect I will be a customer of his someday. If you feel so strongly about this situation, please refer me to a moderator and ask him to ban me. That would be okay with me. But I do, for some reason, gravitate to this board, and mostly enjoy it. Thanks for attempting to make this a better board, and also, for your constructive criticism of me. I will definitely take it under advisement...Again, hope you are having a stellar season.

BB

I think you have an awful lot of credential to add to this forum.

When you say 20 good things about UGUIDE, but then continue to put him down, doesn't that kind of cancel things out?

Disingenuous crap out of his mouth? Yikes, I don't know about that.

I had a good opening weekend pheasant hunting SW of Mitchell, I won't say exactly where, but to me, the bird numbers seemed about the same as the past couple years. We got 7 birds the first day, and we should of had 14 birds due to crappy shooting........ The weather hurt, as well as the corn. But at the end of the day, all kinds of birds flying out of the corn into their roosting areas. I'll be back out there again later in the season, so we'll see how that goes.

Good Day Sir

you are right...I am going to leave it be. I have found his "harvest by camp data" informative simply to get a feel for what is happening around the state...I don't want to come off as a monster. but do yourself a favor and read his "summer pheasant forecast" on his website...is it just me? I really had a problem with that, and many, many other things he wrote here about how weather and bird #'s, for example. Sorry, but he has spewed ALOT of propaganda around here...and it doesn't sit well with me, as you can certainly tell. I looked for a link to the moderators...I want to know their thoughts...actually, I doubt there has been much oversight as of late...whatever. Sorry if I have offended anyone, most notably UGUIDE. But to be clear, I was offended dozens of times this summer by stuff he said...last time I checked, we have the right of free speech...I am exercising it...so is he...so are you. Glad we are able to...

BB

I think you have an awful lot of credential to add to this forum.

When you say 20 good things about UGUIDE, but then continue to put him down, doesn't that kind of cancel things out?

Disingenuous crap out of his mouth? Yikes, I don't know about that.

I had a good opening weekend pheasant hunting SW of Mitchell, I won't say exactly where, but to me, the bird numbers seemed about the same as the past couple years. We got 7 birds the first day, and we should of had 14 birds due to crappy shooting........ The weather hurt, as well as the corn. But at the end of the day, all kinds of birds flying out of the corn into their roosting areas. I'll be back out there again later in the season, so we'll see how that goes.

Good Day Sir

hey, thanks for the nice note...glad you had some good hunting...and that the #'s were similar to last year...kind of my experience, too. One night we sat and watched the birds migrate back into the roost...that was the calm day of opening weekend...sunday...good #'s of birds...yes, lots of corn up yet...should just get better....thanks again for that last note...

HATS OFF TO HAYMAKER

Thank you for your kind words. This is a tough year to be in this business. I have been complimented on the habitat by everyone that has been here, but it is not as much fun.

Back