how did ugude's camps do?

benelli-banger

looks like he has posted data for 3 of his camps...another 3 tbd? 2 of the 3 did well...his main camp, down near lake andes, which he states has "acre for acre, maybe the most optimized pheasant habitat in the state of SD" (something like that) had 10 guys, and they got 33 birds for 3 days, or 1.1 per man...surprising, as this locale isn't in the drought area, and the habitat must be really good. many reasons why there wasn't a higher harvest...poor shooting, lack of dog power, etc (that camp averaged 1.6 per man last year on opener...a 31% decrease...whaddya know? That almost aligns exactly with what GFP said the decline was in that area!)..his two camps in NW SD did well...good to hear. He hasn't posted here since the 7th....I will be his surrogate in the meantime. call me ULIED. He can still be UGUIDE. I know he has a good operation...no doubt...but the last 4 months or so have been a head scratcher for me...maybe it's me...probably me...his affect reminds me an awful lot like our president...say something...anything...create conflict...create debate...foment discontent...then go sit down and laugh, while sipping a nice cold beer, and watch the drama play out...perhaps someone abducted him and assumed his persona...but didn't know his persona...just went with it...maybe? You think? Y'all have a good day. ps--honing in on his data because it is probably the best source of how the state is doing overall not counting GFP brood survey, which we know was basically held up as junk by at least one guy...and perhaps for good reason, I don't know...

Last edited:
looks like he has posted data for 3 of his camps...another 3 tbd? 2 of the 3 did well...his main camp, down near lake andes, which he states has "acre for acre, maybe the most optimized pheasant habitat in the st ate of SD" (something like that) had 10 guys, and they got 33 birds for 3 days, or 1.1 per man...surprising, as this locale isn't in the drought area, and the habitat must be really good. many reasons why there wasn't a higher harvest...poor shooting, lack of dog power, etc...his two camps in NW SD did well...good to hear. He hasn't posted here since the 7th....I will be his surrogate in the meantime. call me ULIED. He can still be UGUIDE. I know he has a good operation...no doubt...but the last 4 months or so have been a head scratcher for me...maybe it's me...probably me...his affect reminds me an awful lot like our president...say something...anything...create conflict...create debate...foment discontent...then go sit down and laugh, while sipping a nice cold beer, and watch the drama play out...perhaps someone abducted him and assumed his persona...but didn't know his persona...just went with it...maybe? You think? Y'all have a good day.

Hi BB,

This is my go to forum in prep for our fall trips; there are a number of key contributors to this site, and I would name Chris (UGuide) as one of them.
I have not always agreed with some of his points, but that would be true of all of us. Does he bring value to this forum - Absolutely. His information on CRP enrollments and other such topics, are great. negativity seems to abound when the poor road site surveys get published; I brush that crap aside, although it does get personal at times, and we all can get caught up is saying things we later regret. I did go to his site Monday night, because like you, I was curious to read his reports. Sure he has a business, and people on this forum can says he is self promoting. I don't see it that way. I have never hunted on his properties, but I sure like his concept. I'm a public land hunter in SD, with the goal of establishing relationships that allow access on private land. to date the public options have served us well, although the diminishing WIA's where we hunt have hurt. I think the more recent reports, including yours, provides some optimism for the fall hunting out there. Thanks for your posts here BB, and I hope we see the same again from UGuide. Good Hunting!

he has done more for pheasants than i will ever do...that is for sure. just don't like the tone that lots of threads have taken, don't like the games, etc. whatever. just curious as to the results. again, were we, as a group, debating about whether an extreme drought would negatively impact the birds? Yes, I believe we were...how did that happen? It is kind of like debating whether or not gravity would take over if you let go of a shotgun shell from your hand...but again, that took up about a month or two this summer...read his "summer forecast" on his website...really? Just saying...good luck to you all, including UGUIDE...I'm sure his hunters will kick ass this season.

he has done more for pheasants than i will ever do...that is for sure. just don't like the tone that lots of threads have taken, don't like the games, etc. whatever. just curious as to the results. again, were we, as a group, debating about whether an extreme drought would negatively impact the birds? Yes, I believe we were...how did that happen? It is kind of like debating whether or not gravity would take over if you let go of a shotgun shell from your hand...but again, that took up about a month or two this summer...read his "summer forecast" on his website...really? Just saying...good luck to you all, including UGUIDE...I'm sure his hunters will kick ass this season.

I hunt Chris's farm on the 4th week of the season and have for many years. As he has improved the habitat the hunting improved a long with it. I can tell you he works hard at it and knows what he speaks . I'll let you know how we do. We have mostly good shooters and good dogs.

I hunt Chris's farm on the 4th week of the season and have for many years. As he has improved the habitat the hunting improved a long with it. I can tell you he works hard at it and knows what he speaks . I'll let you know how we do. We have mostly good shooters and good dogs.

not surprised by what you say....I may be a client someday. I want to hunt up at Lemmon...alot.

Hi BB,

This is my go to forum in prep for our fall trips; there are a number of key contributors to this site, and I would name Chris (UGuide) as one of them.
I have not always agreed with some of his points, but that would be true of all of us. Does he bring value to this forum - Absolutely. His information on CRP enrollments and other such topics, are great. negativity seems to abound when the poor road site surveys get published; I brush that crap aside, although it does get personal at times, and we all can get caught up is saying things we later regret. I did go to his site Monday night, because like you, I was curious to read his reports. Sure he has a business, and people on this forum can says he is self promoting. I don't see it that way. I have never hunted on his properties, but I sure like his concept. I'm a public land hunter in SD, with the goal of establishing relationships that allow access on private land. to date the public options have served us well, although the diminishing WIA's where we hunt have hurt. I think the more recent reports, including yours, provides some optimism for the fall hunting out there. Thanks for your posts here BB, and I hope we see the same again from UGuide. Good Hunting!

thanks to you too! nice post...good season to you!

looks like his faulkton camp went from 2.8 per man per day last year to 1.5 per man this year...about a 46% drop...not too far from what GFP said the drop would be in that area...that would be part of the aberdeen report...down 46%...looky there! GFP may have been kind of in the ballpark for that part of the state as well...not a surprise, that area got blistered by the drought. 16 guys shot 71 birds for 3 days...not bad, considering....

Last edited:
ULIED I agree with you about UGUIDE .I lost a little of faith in him this year
Reading all this crazy stuff he was saying about the pheasant hatch.
Especially from a man who really knows his stuff about pheasants.
I think he did more harm to his self than anything.
Why would GFP make a negative Bird count if it was not true

As of about 3 pm he still hadn't posted data re: 2 of his 6 camps...curious to see how they did. As of now, his 2 camps in NW SD limited each day...his other 2 camps that have data posted did 1.1 birds per day per man, and 1.5 birds per day per man, respectively. Nothing wrong with those #'s...and he can't control how well the dogs do, the guys shoot, how hard they hunt, how much corn is still up, etc. But his data is interesting, as it does cover a pretty good swath of SD. Someone posted yesterday about the birds being plentiful in Gettysburg, which kind of lines up from SE to NW with UGUIDE'S 2 camps that did well...Gettysburg being the SE point, running NW through Timber Lake, and up to Lemmon...probably a 60-90 mile line running through the Standing Rock Reservation. Chris is a good guy who does good things...I just can't reconcile the bombastic, disingenuous, head-scratching things he had to say...I'm sure he's much smarter than me (obvious!), and he was probably sitting back chuckling at my vehement protestations all summer/early fall...well played, UTRIED! Good luck to him, and everyone else...we are all in this for the same joys and satisfactions and pleasures...hope we all find an abundance of those this fall....

I admit I have no life. I offer nothing redeeming to society. Sub-par husband and father. OK, got that out of the way. Been sitting by the computer for the last few days expecting, anticipating, and wishing UGUIDE'S opening weekend hunting data would be posted. Yes, 4 of his 6 camps have been posted...so far, an average of 2.15 birds per hunter per day. That is good, given the situation this year. But those last 2 camps would be interesting to know about. And, even more importantly, his take on things within his universe of pheasant camps...would be very interesting...especially after all the blathering and bluster that went on around her starting in mid-summer. Hope Chris is OK, and is just busy with his business. Otherwise, we will have to rename him to "UHIDE"! He hasn't posted since the 7th. Have heard that SW ND is terrible...Selby/Java as well...Aberdeen pretty tough, including Faulkton, which is pretty close, and Chris' camp there would kind of confirm that. Heard SE ND was pretty sparse from guys that are there now...around Kulm...Verona...there was a report on this site about the great #'s around Gettysburg...that group had modest success from Frankfort down to Artesian, having road hunted and scouted a 15 mile wide swath between those 2 towns. Anxious to hear more reports!

I admit I have no life. I offer nothing redeeming to society. Sub-par husband and father. OK, got that out of the way. Been sitting by the computer for the last few days expecting, anticipating, and wishing UGUIDE'S opening weekend hunting data would be posted. Yes, 4 of his 6 camps have been posted...so far, an average of 2.15 birds per hunter per day. That is good, given the situation this year. But those last 2 camps would be interesting to know about. And, even more importantly, his take on things within his universe of pheasant camps...would be very interesting...especially after all the blathering and bluster that went on around her starting in mid-summer. Hope Chris is OK, and is just busy with his business. Otherwise, we will have to rename him to "UHIDE"! He hasn't posted since the 7th. Have heard that SW ND is terrible...Selby/Java as well...Aberdeen pretty tough, including Faulkton, which is pretty close, and Chris' camp there would kind of confirm that. Heard SE ND was pretty sparse from guys that are there now...around Kulm...Verona...there was a report on this site about the great #'s around Gettysburg...that group had modest success from Frankfort down to Artesian, having road hunted and scouted a 15 mile wide swath between those 2 towns. Anxious to hear more reports!

BB,
I’m heading out tomorrow am. Hunting N of Cresbard and South of Ipswich. This area has had rough reports.
Hunting Sun- Wed and I’ll report back late next week. Hunting all private ground all Wild birds. This is managed ground that we have always limited out for the last 10 years.
5 Dogs / 5 Hunters this year. We shall see...
Bob

BB,
I’m heading out tomorrow am. Hunting N of Cresbard and South of Ipswich. This area has had rough reports.
Hunting Sun- Wed and I’ll report back late next week. Hunting all private ground all Wild birds. This is managed ground that we have always limited out for the last 10 years.
5 Dogs / 5 Hunters this year. We shall see...
Bob

good luck!!!!!!

Not a real UGUIDE fan and read his posts with the understanding that he is in the business of commercializing pheasant hunting. He tried the same thing in ND, but I think he lacked the outfitter license for that endeavor.

It appears he posts harvests for his camps with integrity ... gotta give him kudos for that.

I hunted ND and SD often in the early 80s before CRP. We saw plenty, killed plenty most times out.

The loss of CRP and other cover is certainly troublesome for TOTAL population counts, but hunt areas with the right combination of cover and you will find birds.

Not a real UGUIDE fan and read his posts with the understanding that he is in the business of commercializing pheasant hunting. He tried the same thing in ND, but I think he lacked the outfitter license for that endeavor.

It appears he posts harvests for his camps with integrity ... gotta give him kudos for that.

I hunted ND and SD often in the early 80s before CRP. We saw plenty, killed plenty most times out.

The loss of CRP and other cover is certainly troublesome for TOTAL population counts, but hunt areas with the right combination of cover and you will find birds.

agreed...however, his hunters would hopefully call him out if he was misreporting harvest #'s...especially if the hunting was bad. He has now reported the 5th camp...in Selby...the opening weekend group shot 3 birds...total...for the whole group...for the 3 days....tough.

That is tough hunting, feel bad for the crew.

yes...but I am thinking they had an idea what was going on up there...there is a point where habitat can't help...bad winter, worst drought in 40 years coupled with extreme heat when chicks are hatching, etc...you just can't do nothing about that. the beauty of UGUIDE'S model is the geographic diversity his different camps offer. we all know we can go to preserve's, and be assured that there are birds to be shot...but that isn't what most of us want...

Back