Favorite shotgun?

I've shot my 1100 LT20 for half my adult life that my dad gave me when I was of age. Best gun I've ever shot, the action is butter smooth after all these years.

I actually just picked up a new 11-87 20 gauge because I feel bad taking my old one into the brush.

I have too many to dedicate to just one favorite.

Their all near and dear to my heart. I'm a classic era man. When "real" guns were built like a Auto 5, model 12, model 97, model 37 Ithaca, Superposed, Etc. No stamped toaster parts and hair springs. Real Walnut and no plastic. When men that were taught a trade built our guns instead of house wives and fresh out of high school kids. When "Made(or owned) In USA" meant something. When a box of 22LR was as common on the shelf as bread and butter and people weren't clawing each other eye's out to get a box, paying 20 folds for them. When Christmas ad's in the Sears and Wards catalog showed children opening a new gun as a present. Those days are gone and I fit into today's world like a square peg in a round hole.

I'm with this fella. I'm only 30, but most of my guns are from my father's era. Anything newer I've bought, I've been disappointed with and eventually sold, except for my old reliable Winchester 1300 which I use for non-toxic shot.

For grouse and woodcock, I usually grab the 20ga browning BSS sporter. For our trips out west, I prefer my 1954 Sweet Sixteen Auto-5. My wife uses the 1950 20ga Superposed most of the time. I like that gun too, but I can rarely get it out of her hands for a hunt.

I've been looking for just the right 16ga Model 12. One of these days I'll find it.

Browning Citori 725 Field model in 12 ga, with a Beretta A3901 Semi-Auto 12 ga as a backup. I always take two. I never miss with my Browning:)

Finally. after looking for years, found one of these at a price I could (kinda) accept. B Rizzini Round Body EL (original engraving pattern). 29.5", 20 ga, 6.4 lbs, choke tubes. I shoot lefty so I had the gun fitted and the stock bent for cast. It is beautifully balanced and I shoot it well. In inclement weather, I use the Weatherby Athena 20 ga, 26" but it weighs a bit more than the Riz. The short barrels on the Athena provide an advantage when hunting quail in woody edge cover.

1-29-11%20Ellsworth%20011%20bright%20amp%20contrast%20corrected_zpseuljsf4w.jpg

1-29-11%20Ellsworth%20009%20crop%20amp%20auto%20correct_zpshfcmzmfb.jpg

Nice gun, at least those birds were not killed by an old beater gun. Coming across the gun that you were really looking for and finding the price to be something to work with is a rare gem.

Franchi Instinct 20 gauge is my fav right now, have a 20g CZ mallard double trigger that i love also............Looking at a Franchi Auto in 28g too, very nice:)

I have a CZ Mallard 12 gauge that is an O/U that I use for my weekly trap shooting from the 16 and 27 yard line, never had a issue with it, very light and I would buy another if I ever needed to. It will shoot as well as any 5-15 thousand dollar trap gun on the range.

I have a CZ Mallard 12 gauge that is an O/U that I use for my weekly trap shooting from the 16 and 27 yard line, never had a issue with it, very light and I would buy another if I ever needed to. It will shoot as well as any 5-15 thousand dollar trap gun on the range.

Twenty-seven yards ? Congratulations, my dad shot from there a few years, I've never made it that far.

Benelli Montefeltro 20 gauge hands down. Light, shoots like a dream and is the perfect "tool" for the job. Can you buy nicer guns heck yes. But it is great if you want to kill any upland game birds.

My absolute favorite is my Westley Richards hammer double 12 wit a load of 90 grains of FFG and 1 1/8oz of nickle 6's when the birds are flushing with strong winds, most of the time a only shooting 80 grains ad 1oz out of it though
This is my goto bird gun, shot more birds with it in the last ten years or so than any other gun I have ever owned.:)
I had it restored fr my 60th birthday a few years back
DHT

A5 Magnum Twenty I have a Belgium and a Japanese. Found the Belgium first and have loved it, then came across the Japanese and had to have it for a backup... The Belgium gun fits better and I shoot it better I thought they would fit identical but they seem slightly different?? Also have an old Riverside arms SxS 410 patent date April 20, 1915 really enjoy taking that little guy out too!!

My Benelli M2 is a life taker. An awesome tool.
I bought a Franchi Affinity last year as a backup for our group but I like hunting with it almost as much. I use the Franchi for lead and the Benelli for steel since it will hold (5) 3" shells with the extended magazine tube I added.

Last edited:
Beretta 686 Onyx 20ga. I have beat it to hell, hunting anything and everything from timberdoodle to goose. Light, fits me and always works.

After 20 yrs I cleaned the internal workings for the first time. When I bought it I never cleaned it up, just took it out and started shooting. Probably shouldn't have even bothered but I'm a more respectable person now. :eek:

Favorite

Geez it seems like I shot a different gun or gauge every season since I started a few years ago. B-80, 870, M2, A5, SX3. This season Fabarm L4S. I liked em' all when I threw the shotstring out in front of the bird. They all sucked when I didn't.

I like my browning a5 mag, 30 inch full, made in 1929. Big hump back sight. Always cycles flawlessly, even at 20 below.

Back