Cross dominance shooting

kuk kuk

I am cross dominant (right shouldered shooter; left eye dominant) I have always had to close my left eye to hit anything. Anyone out there who has the same problem and what methods did you use to help overcome this? I've heard and tried the tape on the left side of my shooting glasses, but I never could get used to that. Any other suggestions?

How it's Done

Here's a suggestion. I was a firearms insturctor for over 20 years. This is how we trained staff to handle your situation.

Patch the dominant eye while shooting. While shooting, keep both eyes open even though one is patched. A cover over the glasses like you tried before will work. After a time, your mind will switch the dominance to the other eye and you will not need the tape/patch. How long this takes varies but it works. You can practice this with an unloaded gun at home without firing.

Lock and Load :D

I have a suggestion!! The more lead you throw in the air the better your chances! Works for me!!!LOL On a more serious note , this can be a problem! Closing your eye is a good method!!! The patch helps with practice, but you are not going to wear that in the field!!! Choices are shoot left handed or close your eye!!! 1% of people are both eye dominant and it ain't me!!!! Good luck!!

I, too, am left-eye dominant and right "shouldered" but my dad made me shoot with my left shoulder from the time i picked up a gun and said I would learn to be smooth with that shoulder... he was right. had a right-handed pump for a long time and would flinch every time i ejected a shell as it flew only a couple of inches from my eye every time so I bought a bps and have been happy ever since. in short... embrace the eye! Shoot lefty!

I didn't know this problem even existed until 30 or 40 yrs of mastering things the wrong way - too late fer me to start over now! The only suggestion I can add is while a guy like Bleu is getting ready to fling lead in the "air" - just make sure you beat him to the draw - werks for me!!! :D

Seriously though, I know it's the proper thing to do - but switching things up at this stage of the game for me is a little bit akin to messing with a batters lifelong stance or trying to understand the game of cricket after a lifetime of baseball! Wish I wud have doned it right in the first place, but oh well...Focusing intently on the motto, "One Shot-One Kill" seems to help me make up a little slack for bad form! ;)

I have a suggestion!! The more lead you throw in the air the better your chances! Works for me!!!LOL On a more serious note , this can be a problem! Closing your eye is a good method!!! The patch helps with practice, but you are not going to wear that in the field!!! Choices are shoot left handed or close your eye!!! 1% of people are both eye dominant and it ain't me!!!! Good luck!!

Kuk Kuk - I'm with BlueBijou, shoot fast and shoot often! Kidding. Since I struggle with the same issue you've described, I've found that I'm a very "streaky" shooter. Some days I'm on, some days I couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. The eye-patch idea is one I've actually been considering next summer at a trap range.

If Tommy Lee Jones made Nicholas Cage do it in "Fire Birds", it must be real right???? ;)

On another note, Kuk Kuk, I'm originally from Duluth. How are things back home?

Last edited:
Just this year I joined the ranks of left shoulder shooters. I had a heart pacemaker reinstalled, after a staph infection, new one went in the right side. To much scar tissue to reuse the left side. I got the Surgeon to do the implant as far toward center as practical to leave me some shoulder, but I am uncomfortable with the idea of the recoil shock on or near the instrument, whch is frowned upon by the manufacturer. So I am now a left shoulder, right eye dominant shooter. If I were a right shoulder left eye dominant, I would use an english crossover stock, but I can't find one for left shoulder, right eye, which is my issue. Retraining after a lifetime of shooting is difficult, about half the time I try the wrong shoulder. Ironically I am a left handed thrower, batter, writer.

When I do those eye dominance tests, neither of my eyes are dominant. I am left handed but I shoot right handed. And for the record...not a very good shot.

I am cross dominant (right shouldered shooter; left eye dominant) I have always had to close my left eye to hit anything. Anyone out there who has the same problem and what methods did you use to help overcome this? I've heard and tried the tape on the left side of my shooting glasses, but I never could get used to that. Any other suggestions?

If I had learned anything in Weapon Qual training as a police officer, shoot with both eyes open. however this is a problem for a rifle with a scope or laser sight scope. (when I was in LE, i had an AR-15 with a laser scope) it made it hard to focus if i had to shoot with my right. I am Left shooter Left eye Dominant. during qual training, we had to shoot right and left with all the weapons we are there to qual. AR-15 was a tough one for me. what i found helpful was this, when i had the rifle in my right arm, i used right eye sight even though the left was trying to take over, i then used my left eye to look at the target beyond the scope if i could, and right eye to match the scope laser to the target. its not 100% accurate but it helps.

strangely enough, i am left hand in everything except when i kick a football.. i kick right foot.

this is not a strong advice, but you may want to learn to shoot left perhaps? all i have to say as long as you can hit the target with a nice tight group, you should be okay. i know its tough, believe me, my first time doing weapon quals was tough but i passed it.

after practicing and training from a good firearm instructor, i was able to do 256 out of 260 score for my weapon quals was my best one til a few years ago i got to 258 out of 260. practice does take time and hopefully not years. but it does show accuracy with patience and practice.

other ways of doing it, patch your eye dominant eye, and slowly force your opposite to take control of dominant, after several times doing this, you may gain a right eye dominant.

ive gotten used to shooting with a weaver stance with both eyes open except when shooting a rifle with a scope. shotguns and pistols ive used both eyes open.

Last edited:
Kuk Kuk - I'm with BlueBijou, shoot fast and shoot often! Kidding. Since I struggle with the same issue you've described, I've found that I'm a very "streaky" shooter. Some days I'm on, some days I couldn't hit water falling out of a boat. The eye-patch idea is one I've actually been considering next summer at a trap range.

If Tommy Lee Jones made Nicholas Cage do it in "Fire Birds", it must be real right???? ;)

On another note, Kuk Kuk, I'm originally from Duluth. How are things back home?

Economy sucks, but it always has, so I guess that hasn't changed. Weather usually sucks and that hasn't changed either. Another words, it's great here! Since I posted my situation I got an email from someone who has the same problem. What he did was buy a magnetic light bar that goes on the vent rib. Then he put a magnetic cross over bar on the rib that doesn't allow the left eye to see the end of the barrel and forces you to sight with the right eye. What I was told by this "expert" is that if you close your left eye a split second too late you are actually lining your shot up with the wrong eye. That probably explains your streaky shooting (as well as mine. One day I can't miss, the next the opposite) I'm 60 years old and I started declining in my shooting ability about five years ago. I thought it was age, but it may be the "closing the left eye too late" deal. Anyway, look on Meadows Industries for the light bar and crossover bar. I am ordering those two items tonight, it's worth a try.

When I do those eye dominance tests, neither of my eyes are dominant. I am left handed but I shoot right handed. And for the record...not a very good shot.

If you like to pheasant hunt, which it sounds like you do, go spend the $$ for professional help. No different than any other sport, you need to practice. I got pro help 15 years ago and went from a 7 (out of 10) to a 9 or 9 1/2. The feeling of being confident when a bird flushes is awesome. It makes for a much more enjoyable hunting experience. Now, I am struggling again, but I may have figured out why in regards to my cross dominance problem.

Here's a suggestion. I was a firearms insturctor for over 20 years. This is how we trained staff to handle your situation.

Patch the dominant eye while shooting. While shooting, keep both eyes open even though one is patched. A cover over the glasses like you tried before will work. After a time, your mind will switch the dominance to the other eye and you will not need the tape/patch. How long this takes varies but it works. You can practice this with an unloaded gun at home without firing.

Lock and Load :D

I am 60 years old and have had to close my left eye for the past 50 years, Do you think its possible that as I age maybe I am closing my left eye a fraction of a second too late? I used to be a crack shot, but the past 5 years I have seen a reduction in my shooting. I am willing to try anything after my latest trip to SD. I shot horrible. I think I will put tape on my left lens of my shooting glasses and shoot some clays and see what happens.

Maybe

It could be. Here's something you can try. Get a target trap and a friend to help. Find a place where you can launch the targets over water. This will show real fast if you are right, left, over, etc. Just keep the targets low over the water. This trick also helps a new shooter start hitting.

Another thing may be that you are "Peeking". This is a common error (and one I tend to make) of lifting your head to see the target just a little better. When you do, you over shoot every time. A person tends to start doing this if they have a couple misses.

Patching the dominant eye will work........it just takes time, don't expect it to change in a couple trips to the range. It's never too late to learn to shoot with both eyes open. You can change your brain!

Lock and Load! :D

If learning to shoot from the left side is out of the question check into the Easy hit fiber optic sights. Here is a demo video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEh1AhvJAXU

The object of the sight is that you will only be able to see the light if the correct eye is looking straight down the barrel. There not expensive and worth a try. It has helped people who are cross dominant.

go lefty

As some others have suggested go lefty. I had same problem, was a very poor shot, then changed to left handed. Go to the range as often as possible, you will be surprised what a good shot you become and how fast you adjust. I do everything right handed except shooting.

good luck

I have been teaching shotgunning here in AR for several years and it is definitely better if you shoot off the shoulder of your dominant eye. One of our conservation agency programs is Becoming an Outdoorswoman and a couple of others and myself have taught shotgunning for 10-12 years at the workshop. For a beginning shooter, like most of those women, learning to shoot properly, with the dominant eye and proper gun mount, is the key to early success.

Now for the rest of us who are set in our ways - I am somewhat left eye dominant and I have to close my left eye to shoot off my right side. Lots of practice both on the range and in the field have helped but there are still times when my left eye tries to take over. Usually it is in the excitement of ducks in the timber or birds flushing that this happens. I just try to slow down and make a very conscious effort of squinting my left eye and it works for me. Again, nothing beats practice, whether at game or at targets.

I'll keep this short...I have the same issues 10 plus years ago. GO lefty. Keeping both eyes open will NOT work in your situation. And dont be the guy at the gun club with tape on his glasses. Since went lefty ive shot several perfect rounds of skeet with O/U, SxS, and autos loaders. Doesnt take long to adjust. Im right handed in everthing except shooting.

There is true cross-dominance and then there is dominance that occurs from tiredness, perscription failures, etc.
Shoulder changing works with true CD but can be problematical for some, especailly in a field situation...age is the kicker.
Squinting can help but reduces vision.
Tape, vasoline, etc. are bad ideas.
The Dot if cut down is a good idea that works and there is a new Dot available from England for $20 or so that is a supposed improvement on The Dot.
While not truely CD, I used the Dot for years and it helped with an eye tiredness issue.
I also find that my right dominant eye changes in perscription faster than my left thereby parroting CD.
Some bird angles are still challenging as the non-dominant eye picks them up first.
You may be truely CD and maybe not...I have little faith in the CD test that everyone uses...may be fine if all other factors affecting vision are normal....otherwise, CD is widely misdiagnosed.

Have your vision checked, consider The cut-down Dot, try squinting as another route to The Dot and after a year or so of diligence you might even consider switching shoulders.
There will be a best route for you which only you can determine....sift off-location keyboard advice and anecdotes well.

david0311

lost almost all sight in right eye at 29 ---just went left handed out of necessity --practice u can get used to it--not that tough--now shoot shotgun--rifle--pistol--and bowhunt left handed--actually had harder time getting used to rifle shooting than any other--good luck--

Back