Bird dog qualities

515wingshooter

This is just a fun question i know there is serious breeders on here i dont mean to offend anyone. If you could combine different qualities from different breeds what breeds would you cross and why?

The question was answered in the last American Hunter Mag(NRA). PUDELPOINTER! Actually the dog was created from the German Wasserpudle and English pointers about 140 years ago.

Why, I would cross one Brittany with another Brittany. :p

The question was answered in the last American Hunter Mag(NRA). PUDELPOINTER! Actually the dog was created from the German Wasserpudle and English pointers about 140 years ago.

I bet the wessle pointer guy chimes in and says the same thing.:D:cheers:

The only reason I can see a English Pointer guy wanting to cross with a Poodle is in hopes to get rid of that long tail,to be more like a German Shorthaired Pointer! :D:D:D

The only reason I can see a English Pointer guy wanting to cross with a Poodle is in hopes to get rid of that long tail,to be more like a German Shorthaired Pointer! :D:D:D

No self respecting EP guy would ruin it by crossing it with a Poodle. :D

Uncle buck how do you like the pudelpointer. i had a gwp what are the similar and different traits in both?

OK GUY'S THE GERMAN SPELLING IS PUDEL!

I have owned a number of Shorthairs. One of my 2 favorite upland dog's. The Pudelpointer is GENERALLY better in the water, easier to train and makes a better pet for family. GSP GENERALLY has better style and shorter hair. If you get a GSP bred from two NAVHDA parents, it will probably retrieve in water. Some as eagerly as PP, some not.

I would like to mix the retrieving aspects of my golden with a little bit of the pointing aspects of a pointing breed. That would equal tons of drive, tons of energy, tons of retrieving abilities and tons of fun walking up to a giant rooster! BTW my Golden does point at imes when she can't figure out why they don't run, it is awesome.

If you get a GSP bred from two NAVHDA parents, it will probably retrieve in water. Some as eagerly as PP, some not.

that is an interesting statement. Can you elaborate?

Last week I was with a couple buddies having a dog play date. A couple labs, my GSP, and a labradoodle (sp). My dog was without a doubt the most eager and lasted the longest in both the water and in retrieving in general. One of the guys made a comment at the beginning of the day when someone asked me "how does he like to retrieve?" the guy said "well, they ain't no lab, but I have heard that they will retrieve for a while". I chuckled knowing full well that my throwing arm has never outlasted his eagerness.

by the end of the day, he ate a little crow:p

The biggest thing is that a lot of people like to stereotype a breed to certain behavior or qualities. Most of the time you can look within your own preferred breed and find one that is bred for the qualities you are looking for. Your lazy in the house GSP that you are looking for, I have a bunch of them.

Mine love the water and retrieving just as much as any lab does too. This one has not had any retrieving training and I intro'd her to water by just bringing her there.

http://youtu.be/LHmI0KvD5Mc

The biggest thing is that a lot of people like to stereotype a breed to certain behavior or qualities. Most of the time you can look within your own preferred breed and find one that is bred for the qualities you are looking for. Your lazy in the house GSP that you are looking for, I have a bunch of them.

Mine love the water and retrieving just as much as any lab does too. This one has not had any retrieving training and I intro'd her to water by just bringing her there.

http://youtu.be/LHmI0KvD5Mc

That's a great picture.

What Buck is saying is the majority of GSP's are not strong retrievers as related to other strong retrievers. ( My daughters pom-chi will retrieve her small ball back to me as often as I will throw it. Heck I bet she could take the Labradoddle too:D ). I have watched my Lab's, and others, consistently smoke pointing breeds in the field to the point of submission. They mark well, and crash cover with reckless abandon.

I don't think there is a perfect breed. My last couple Lab's have not been great house dogs. They are a little high strung. Don't get me wrong they will eventually settle down in the evening. They take that energy to the field and marsh, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

This is just a fun question i know there is serious breeders on here i dont mean to offend anyone. If you could combine different qualities from different breeds what breeds would you cross and why?

I know your talking in hypothetical, but there is a flaw with this logic in that many breeds whether they be pointing or flushing may excel at what their bred to do. To say for example you want to cross a flushing breed with a pointing breed to get the best of both worlds, this doesn't work. Yes, you may have a pointer or flusher that points and retrieves, but likely you WILL NOT have one that excels at either when compared to a purebred pointer or flusher. You want a pointer get a pointer, you want a flusher get a flusher. You want one of each, get one of each.

What Buck is saying is the majority of GSP's are not strong retrievers as related to other strong retrievers. I have watched my Lab's, and others, consistently smoke pointing breeds in the field to the point of submission. They mark well, and crash cover with reckless abandon.

Careful.... I sense a breed feud fueling with those remarks. ;)

I would be interested in cross-breeding one dog with a poor memory for my mistakes with another that carried the forgiving nature of my maternal grandmother....other than that, I see no plusses outside of existing breeds.

What Buck is saying is the majority of GSP's are not strong retrievers as related to other strong retrievers. ( My daughters pom-chi will retrieve her small ball back to me as often as I will throw it. Heck I bet she could take the Labradoddle too:D ). I have watched my Lab's, and others, consistently smoke pointing breeds in the field to the point of submission. They mark well, and crash cover with reckless abandon.

I don't think there is a perfect breed. My last couple Lab's have not been great house dogs. They are a little high strung. Don't get me wrong they will eventually settle down in the evening. They take that energy to the field and marsh, so I wouldn't have it any other way.

Interesting.

I was more wondering why he thought that NAHVDA played a roll in a dog wanting to retrieve or go in water.

Last edited:
Back