Your favorite pheasant O/U

I realize this is off topic, but I wouldn't want to use a lightweight shotgun for turkeys, solely because of magnum shells and recoil. I tried using my Monty once for turkey loads and that was awful. It kicked like a mule. IMO you're better of going with a heavier shotgun for turkeys, one that helps reduce the recoil from using a magnum turkey load.

I use a Benelli Supernova in camo pattern for turkeys. It has a comfortech recoil system built into the stock and really helps reduce the recoil from shooting cannon-style loads at turkeys.
That's true, I forget most people hunt open fields. My 12-gauge turkey and pheasant shell are the same. I've only shot two with 20 gauge 3 ''. My favorite set up is a 20 double with one 2.75 for under 30 and a 3" over 30. I try and not hunt farm fields and make them hunt me if possible. Most of my birds are 20 yards or less. Thier last thought is what the hell are those two littel black holes!

Did you ever end up with an o/u?
Not a field one. I do have a 12ga CSX browning, but too heavy for field work. After my initial post I did lay my paws on a 725 feather 12ga. 28" barrels that I really liked. I thought it was a good looking gun and also it did truly appear neutral, which is really important for me because I shoot off the left shoulder. The problem with Berettas is that they come with right hand butt stocks, so a lefty is at a disadvantage, unless you purchase left hand wood. I have no problem doing that, but there isn't a major beretta dealer anywhere near me, so I in essence would be buying a gun sight unseen with a custom stock. Kind of an expensive endeavor. That and I have no idea what my stock measurements are. So right now leaning towards the browning 725 feather unless I find a gem on the used rack at Ahlmans.

I bought one Beretta 686 and could not hit a thing with it at the sporting clays course. I had never really bought the "either you shoot Brownings well, or you shoot Berettas well, but not both" saw, but it proved true enough in my limited experience that I sold it and bought another Citori...and immediately went back proficient shooting. The difference was so stark I'm skittish to even try a Citori 725.

Try a Winchester 101 or Classic Double sometime, I have one 12ga Waterfowler that fits me well on birds and clays. It has been very reliable and has a dull finish for waterfowling. Both sons have spoke for it.

Hi Wind River,

While I appreciate beautiful guns as much as anyone, I buy guys to hunt.

I'll buy a 687 III 28 gauge with 26" barrels. If It's not seasoned after its first season, I haven't hunted har enough.

Bob, consider the new model (last 10 years or so) Win 101. My fair weather pheasant gun is a maple stocked 12g 101 that weighs 7 lbs 1 oz. My fouls weather pheasant gun is a Browning Maxus camo composite that weighs 7 lbs 2 oz. The maple 101 was about $400 more than the walnut 101 but it called out to me. My 8 lb Citori 12 g white lightning is my back-up SC and traveling clays gun. I do hunt sometimes with a 20 g Citori Lightning. The maple 101 was about $1500 and I had it shipped in.

Attachments

• Winchester 101-70.jpg
    Winchester 101-70.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 12
I have a Beretta 687 12 g Ultralight that I shoot when hunting in grainfields, but I shoot my Beretta 686 20 g if I am hunting anywhere I might run into pheasants and quail. I shoot my 20 better than my 12 just because I am a little quicker with it.

My go-to is a Franchi Sl 16g Pheasants forever hun of the year edition. My daughter won it at a banquet, so I said I would take good care of it for her 😁

Attachments

• 264B9FFA-1381-40A5-BEBE-6AFFFA567272.jpeg
    264B9FFA-1381-40A5-BEBE-6AFFFA567272.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 16
Browning Cynergy Field 20; however, my new model Browning Sweet 16 is a very close second.

Back