Your favorite pheasant O/U

I'm going to say my browning 725 feather 20ga is my favorite. Under 6lbs making it easy to carry and shoot all day.
I've been kind of wary of the 725, because I bought a Beretta and couldn't hit anything with it, switched back to a 20 ga white lightning and was back to my usual mediocre shooting, and my understanding, at least, is that the 725 handles more like a Silver Pigeon, but I may be way off base about that. Did they make any 725s with the round knob? I don't think I'd buy a Browning without the round knob at this point, and it's hard to keep up since Browning produces slightly different iterations of their O/Us about every 6 months inconsistently, with no rhyme or reason, and for reasons I cannot fathom.

I've been kind of wary of the 725, because I bought a Beretta and couldn't hit anything with it, switched back to a 20 ga white lightning and was back to my usual mediocre shooting, and my understanding, at least, is that the 725 handles more like a Silver Pigeon, but I may be way off base about that. Did they make any 725s with the round knob? I don't think I'd buy a Browning without the round knob at this point, and it's hard to keep up since Browning produces slightly different iterations of their O/Us about every 6 months inconsistently, with no rhyme or reason, and for reasons I cannot fathom.
Don't think they have a 725 with a round know. You gotta get what fits you best, I've also got a 525 20ga field and I really don't notice much difference between it and the 725 that I have.

I've owned many U/O guns. But my all-time favorite has to be my 1st. I was young and single. I shot a 1100 special field 12 at the time. Weight wasn't an issue then. I kept a journal and wasn't happy about my birds lost rate which was running about 14-18 quail per 80-100 a year. I only counted birds that hit the ground not pulled feathers. I was also just starting to receive gun dog magazine. One day I opened the magazine up and there was a full-page picture of the new 16-gauge Citori lightning. I sold all my shotguns and bought it. I loved it. I became addicted to skeet and sporting clays. My cripple rate dropped to 6-8 per year. My kill rate was much better and shot half the shells. Flash forwards a decade or so. Again, I saw an ad for the new Berreta ultra-light onyx. I ordered it and had to wait months before any were available. An older, local guy heard I had one and came by to see it. During the conversation he offered to buy the Citori which was probably the reason he was there. I didn't know it, but Browning had quit making them. I sold it to him. He sent it back to browning and had it refurbished. He's been dead for years now. I'll always wonder what happened to it! I hope someone is taking care of it.

My brother-in-law came across Belgium made Browning Superposed 12 ga in Mod/Full. His son is using it to shoot trap, but we did a European shoot and he used it there. It’s about as good as it gets. I like my Beretta too, but that superposed is special.

My dad is a over under guy but i like automatics. Benelli SBE. The old kind you could get extra shell in the action.

While I am more of a SxS guy, I did hunt this year with my new Browning Citori White Lightening 16ga. I had to do a bit of work on the pitch of the butt stock to get it to fit me. Once I did the work, it shoots really well. I do still greatly favor my London sidelock, but this O/U is nice to carry and shoot. Bonus... it's a 16ga!

While I am more of a SxS guy, I did hunt this year with my new Browning Citori White Lightening 16ga. I had to do a bit of work on the pitch of the butt stock to get it to fit me. Once I did the work, it shoots really well. I do still greatly favor my London sidelock, but this O/U is nice to carry and shoot. Bonus... it's a 16ga!
LC I have the same Browning white lightning 16. I love it! Light mounts great for me, and like you said it is a 16, kinda cool to shoot them.

LC I have the same Browning white lightning 16. I love it! Light mounts great for me, and like you said it is a 16, kinda cool to shoot them.
I am not sure about yours, but mine has some really exceptional wood. The description says Grade III / IV and I believe it.

I am not sure about yours, but mine has some really exceptional wood. The description says Grade III / IV and I believe it.
When I found mine they had two of them. One was more shiny and the wood was not what I was lookiing for. The other one was dark more of a matte finish and exactly what I wanted. I love it but I use it alot. Spent a couple of sessions shooting sporting clays with it to get used to the gun then I started to shoot it at game farms. I went exclusively to the gun for wild birds when the population of burds increased a few years ago. Since then I haven't felt like the 16 has limited me in any way from a 12. Good luck with the gun, you will love carrying the lighter weight!

When I found mine they had two of them. One was more shiny and the wood was not what I was lookiing for. The other one was dark more of a matte finish and exactly what I wanted. I love it but I use it alot. Spent a couple of sessions shooting sporting clays with it to get used to the gun then I started to shoot it at game farms. I went exclusively to the gun for wild birds when the population of burds increased a few years ago. Since then I haven't felt like the 16 has limited me in any way from a 12. Good luck with the gun, you will love carrying the lighter weight!
I really enjoy carrying it. I am looking to get a couple new Briley choke tubes in different constrictions. The pictures don't do a great job of depicting the really nice wood, but they aren't bad.

Attachments

• stock2.jpg
    stock2.jpg
    324.1 KB · Views: 23
  • stock1.jpg
    stock1.jpg
    417.2 KB · Views: 23
If you are debating between O/U, semi or even a SxS or pump ask around if some buddies would let you try theirs and figure out what you like!

I bought my Weatherby Athena grade III 12ga O/U just for pheasant hunting and that's really all I have used it for. It has shot a ruff grouse or two and took a few shots at some snows well pheasant hunting one time but other then that. It has been strictly a pheasant gun.

Another favorite would be my Browning custom shop Superposed 20ga O/U. A true dream to carry.

The sixteen gauge is a favorite of mine to carry for pheasants. I have three that do get time in the field. Two A5's and a model 12 pump

My Sweet Sixteen A5 28" mod vent rib

My model 12 16ga pump 28" mod choke

American Browning A5 26" Imp Cyl

My Benelli Montefeltro 20ga 26" or my Cynergy Feather in 20/28/410 28"

There's numerous others. I like to use every gun I own. I bought them to put stories and memories behind them all. When I'm dead and gone. I want my children to tell my grand children the stories about grandpa and thumb through the photo's when the family gathers together. I want those kids to hunt with grandpa's guns and cherish them as much as I did. I want them all to stay in the family for ever!

If you are debating between O/U, semi or even a SxS or pump ask around if some buddies would let you try theirs and figure out what you like!

I bought my Weatherby Athena grade III 12ga O/U just for pheasant hunting and that's really all I have used it for. It has shot a ruff grouse or two and took a few shots at some snows well pheasant hunting one time but other then that. It has been strictly a pheasant gun.

Another favorite would be my Browning custom shop Superposed 20ga O/U. A true dream to carry.

The sixteen gauge is a favorite of mine to carry for pheasants. I have three that do get time in the field. Two A5's and a model 12 pump

My Sweet Sixteen A5 28" mod vent rib

My model 12 16ga pump 28" mod choke

American Browning A5 26" Imp Cyl

My Benelli Montefeltro 20ga 26" or my Cynergy Feather in 20/28/410 28"

There's numerous others. I like to use every gun I own. I bought them to put stories and memories behind them all. When I'm dead and gone. I want my children to tell my grand children the stories about grandpa and thumb through the photo's when the family gathers together. I want those kids to hunt with grandpa's guns and cherish them as much as I did. I want them all to stay in the family for ever!
Would love to see pictures of the Custom Shop Superposed.

1957 Beretta s3 12 gauge Double triggers, straight stock, 28.5 barrels, solid rib and briley choke tubes with a skeet in the bottom and improved mod in the top

Back