Winner Area Opening Weekend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

P4PLABS

I was hoping someone had a cancellation, an opening in their group, etc for opening weekend. I just received a call from my lease holder that she apparently got a big check for the property for opening week and she was sending me my money back. Pretty crappy, but other than hunting ROW's, Id rather get in a group or pick up a cancellation. It would be myself and my 70 year old dad. I have finished dogs, just need an opening. Please shoot me an email at P4PLabs@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

I was hoping someone had a cancellation, an opening in their group, etc for opening weekend. I just received a call from my lease holder that she apparently got a big check for the property for opening week and she was sending me my money back. Pretty crappy, but other than hunting ROW's, Id rather get in a group or pick up a cancellation. It would be myself and my 70 year old dad. I have finished dogs, just need an opening. Please shoot me an email at P4PLabs@yahoo.com.

Thanks.

That sucks!! Nothing like pulling the rug out from under you. Wish I could help.

Thanks.

sounds like prices are going up.......and integrity going down, i have experienced that a time or two as well............some people's word or promise is for sale to the highest bidder.......or best deal that happens to come along.

Yup, a lot of big boys around that makes it tough for everyone. Cabela's did the same thing years ago where I hunted in Nebraska, bought up many farm leases for phez and deer in prime spots. Then all the neighbor's think their farms need to be 'pay for use'.

Yup, a lot of big boys around that makes it tough for everyone. Cabela's did the same thing years ago where I hunted in Nebraska, bought up many farm leases for phez and deer in prime spots. Then all the neighbor's think their farms need to be 'pay for use'.

talking about big coroporations now......it's called habitat for sale to the highest bidder......a lot of deals are made when a firm or provider is after a big contract......the guy who ultimately accepts the deal or service is bribed with hunting trips or whatever the provider has to offer to close the deal......follows right along with the oldest profession in the world......as they say, "we already know WHO/WHAT you are, we are now just trying to establish price".........:cheers:

This is why Cabela's sees nary a cent of my hard-earned dough.

Pay to hunt

You know this pay to hunt thing is getting crazy, what ever happened to a hand shake and thank you possibly a gift certificate or a bottle?

Let's not forget the turkey or the ham. They go a long ways to help put braces on the farmer kids teeth. Sorry rookie. Just had to bite on this one.

Sorry Chris but I am the first non- farmer that will always defend a guys right to charge for his land. But braces? I will have to find my violin for that one! :D:thumbsup::10sign::cheers:

Last edited:
After reading this thread as well as the "Is public land going to be anygood" I thought I would post a response. I have been traveling to Eastern South Dakota since 2007 and have had great success hunting public ground. I usually plan my trips from the last week of November through the first week of December and rarely see anybody else hunting, maybe a rig or two on the weekend driving around looking for ditch chickens, but rarely anybody on the weekdays. If you are willing to walk 8-10 miles a day and shoot better than 50% I would put my money that you will walk back to the truck with a limit of pheasants everyday. I have also had decent luck getting permission to hunt in South Dakota. I avoid asking to hunt on the large parcels that are obviously somebody's pay to hunt land and never show up in more than one rig. On these smaller track of land you wouldn't want to hunt with more than one other person anyway.

I just wanted to make my point that hunting can be great if you don't dig your own grave and show up and a farmers house early in the season with 2 suburbans full of hunters and expect to get permission to hunt. I don't make the 1100 mile trip to South Dakota to line up with 8-10 other hunters (most of them yelling or whisling at the dogs) and pay $200-400/ day to have others in the group shooting cross court at birds getting up in front of you. Meanwhile your dog(s) are playing grab ass with the 8 others. My opinion is that this type of hunt is more common practice of the pay-to-play areas and it is unfortunate that a majority of these hunters that pay don't get to enjoy the real meaning of the hunt, which for me is, walking back to the truck at dark usually just me and a couple of dogs with a heavy bird vest, looking forward to a well-deserved cheesburger and adult beaverage at the local pub and a good nights rest in a $40/night hotel room.

After reading this thread as well as the "Is public land going to be anygood" I thought I would post a response. I have been traveling to Eastern South Dakota since 2007 and have had great success hunting public ground. I usually plan my trips from the last week of November through the first week of December and rarely see anybody else hunting, maybe a rig or two on the weekend driving around looking for ditch chickens, but rarely anybody on the weekdays. If you are willing to walk 8-10 miles a day and shoot better than 50% I would put my money that you will walk back to the truck with a limit of pheasants everyday. I have also had decent luck getting permission to hunt in South Dakota. I avoid asking to hunt on the large parcels that are obviously somebody's pay to hunt land and never show up in more than one rig. On these smaller track of land you wouldn't want to hunt with more than one other person anyway.

I just wanted to make my point that hunting can be great if you don't dig your own grave and show up and a farmers house early in the season with 2 suburbans full of hunters and expect to get permission to hunt. I don't make the 1100 mile trip to South Dakota to line up with 8-10 other hunters (most of them yelling or whisling at the dogs) and pay $200-400/ day to have others in the group shooting cross court at birds getting up in front of you. Meanwhile your dog(s) are playing grab ass with the 8 others. My opinion is that this type of hunt is more common practice of the pay-to-play areas and it is unfortunate that a majority of these hunters that pay don't get to enjoy the real meaning of the hunt, which for me is, walking back to the truck at dark usually just me and a couple of dogs with a heavy bird vest, looking forward to a well-deserved cheesburger and adult beaverage at the local pub and a good nights rest in a $40/night hotel room.

The words of a man who has this thing figured out. I'd hunt with you any day,my friend.

Couldn't have said it any better. That's exactly the way it's done ID. 90% of the time I hunt alone with my dogs, during the week if I can and I prefer it that way.

I have said it for years that pay to hunt is over rated and limits can be made on public ground doing, true hunting. I will be hunting public this year and will limit on my birds every day!

perfect plan, perfect day.....great post.

well said

:10sign: i go to hunt the wild birds on the public ground also. at first the cost of the out of state lis. turned me away. but now it doesn't bother me after i started going and got hooked on the state of s.d. the public land is great! with a small group or alone it's a great time once you get things figured out:thumbsup:.:cheers:

thats the best post ive read on this forum. "8 dogs playing grab ass":cheers:

i agree 100% public land is the way to go & a true hunt not just a pheasant shoot & party all nite at the lodge!!!

this yr will be my 1st trip to SD to hunt all public lands for pheasant i chase turkey all over the country all fair chase public lands open to you & me alike & no $$$ changes hands the way it should be... for years & years my family & i shot down the SD pheasant scene as we have friends in SD & they say each & every yr is get n worse & pheasant hunting is just get n to commercialized to enjoy a hunt on private lands any more in SD also we/i could never ever ever think i would have to or would ever shell out 150$-200$ a day to enjoy some private lands in SD that to me takes all the fun out of it 4 me!!!??? then what do i get for that $$$ i get a guide marching me & the others in the group around like we are soldiers & put n you there & you there & hurry hurry hurry to the end of the field & hurry hurry hurry to the vehicles or bus & lets do it again just let n the big groups #s kill the birds rather then hunt them & have it take all day like most DIY hunts on public lands go...

i mean if you are like a few of these guys on the forum that say stuff like MONEY IS NO OBJECT TO ME & MONEY ISNT A FACTOR IN MY HUNT then more power to you but just know you guys are the guys making monsters out of the greedy farmers with there hands out asking 150$-200$ to hunt just because they had a friend do the same thing down the road!!!??? i have zero respect for a farmer that dose things like that id rather the man just say no id rather you not hunt my land cuz i have family coming next wk the same old B/S you get in every other pheasant hunting state by guys that want to keep there land to them-selfs... them same $$$ is no object guys are the guys make n it rare to find a good ol boy that says go ahead have at it & hunt my land with out asking for your check book...

im lucky or spoiled as i have a few areas on the SD border that i would not have to pay to play on & i also have a few land owners that feel disrespect if you try to pay them to have the land to your-self to hunt man i love them guys thats how it should be you should feel dumb for charge n friends to hunt ur land...

also its hard to feel sorry for somebody that was paying another to hunt there land then another group said they would pay more $$$ then your group thats what happens when you make monsters out of land owners its a kind of karma we DIY public land hunters at least dont have that probs A??? but private land is just that private land & they can do what they want with it i just cant imagine paying 150$-200$ per gun per day to hunt something we can hunt for free???

i only wish all the guys who pay would boycot them that keep uping the $$$ & maybe that crazy price would come down a little back to reasonable price???

Well, lost control of this thread, but still looking..... Really interested in a place to stay near Winner#1 priority. I would be content sleeping in my truck for a couple nights, but the old man probably would'nt be able to get up the next morning. I have hunted public in the past and do just fine (great dogs) but with my 74 year old dad who has had 2 knee replacements in the last 3 years the small private patches I worked hard for to gain access for years works out much better. To the latter RANT....wow! If you don't think I'm a "true hunter" because I worked a deal out over the years to have access to a private WORKING FARM, you're a moron. Do I wish you could knock on a farmers door and get permission like when I was a kid? You betcha.... won't change things now. Do I agree the $$ amounts are out of my league, again yes, but you cannot hold that against the farmers.... supply and demand, I'm sure you learned that sometime.... These folks have been struggling for years and this is a good way to get some extra cash in their pockets for the holidays. I don't blame the land owner for doing it, just as I told her, 1-month prior to the opener is a killer, especially when you book a plane ticket from upstate NY for your dad to finally give WILD pheasants a shot. Anyway, I REALLY appreciate the guys that have reached out and offered up 2nd weekend and further drives, but for a 2-day hunt it is tough to justify the extra miles to the NE part of the state. Still hoping to at least find a place to sleep, let me know if you know of anything.
Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back