Winner Area Opening Weekend.....

Status
Not open for further replies.
moron here just to let you know nobody said you were not a true hunter? i said fair chase public lands with no fees no pay to play is the way it should be as is a knock on the door a hand shake & knock your self out coming from the land owner... but many many well off hunters from big cities with deep pocket books has/is changing that for the worse... not to mention these so called hurting farmers are get n greedy no other way to put it!!! we are just making there X-MASS gifts that much more $$$ & bigger for them??? i hunt all over in the spring for turkey OK,KS,NE,MN,WI & drive threw way more SD,MO,IA,IL & i have yet to see a starving farmer even the amish are doing good now this drought has hurt plenty of good farmers & there familys...

i to wish i had some EZ walking private ground for my 60 father who has major heart probs & has to breath with treceoscopy to hunt but the way SD is now days we wont even bother looking for any we will just try to get to public lands B4 the others do??? my dad is the main guy saying im not paying for that S*** they are crazy to ask that much to hunt pheasants he would rather just hunt MN & save the money??? im the guy who wants to show him a great pheasant hunt... & we both agree we are going the DIY public land route & yes we will be all sore & stiff from sleeping in our truck or van over nite but then again that just adds to the hunt we dont need some lady cooking & waiting on us hand & foot like at many big $$$ lodges do if thats your thing IMO but you can keep it im with IDpheasantkiller except for the walking 8-10 miles a day thing thats crazy lol

Ok lets say there was no paid hunting. How good would the hunting in South Dakota be? Well I would say about the same as most of the other states everyone complains about. If a Farmer isn't going to make money on the hunting side do you really think that the habitat is going to remain anywhere close to what it is? I know farmers that do no paid hunting and you can hunt on their land for free. You don't want to because everything is farmed property line to propety line and all the grass is baled with no CRP. Please tell me you don't really think a farmer should leave a bunch of income on the table, by leaving crop stand, not hay until nesting is over, don't use drainage, ect, and then get nothing in return.

Do you turn down overtime, profit sharing or a bonus from your job? I also bet you wouldn't give up part of your normal wage in ordered to get your bonus.

Ok lets say there was no paid hunting. How good would the hunting in South Dakota be? Well I would say about the same as most of the other states everyone complains about. If a Farmer isn't going to make money on the hunting side do you really think that the habitat is going to remain anywhere close to what it is? I know farmers that do no paid hunting and you can hunt on their land for free. You don't want to because everything is farmed property line to propety line and all the grass is baled with no CRP. Please tell me you don't really think a farmer should leave a bunch of income on the table, by leaving crop stand, not hay until nesting is over, don't use drainage, ect, and then get nothing in return.

Do you turn down overtime, profit sharing or a bonus from your job? I also bet you wouldn't give up part of your normal wage in ordered to get your bonus.

This is the same old argument, and you will never convince guys like this. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Seems like guys that come on here blasting people with their first posts don't last long anyway. I for one appreciate the guys that save a little and charge a little. Works for me.

You are my new hero.

If you don't mind a bit of a drive from Winner,give Dan a call @ the Iversen Inn in Murdo.He doesn't jack his rates come hunting season.It's 79 miles but all good road.Any place that I can think of will be booked,or scalping.

times & people are different its all about the $$$ like wirehairs says... i mean there are a few good folks improveing habitat on there own for the better of game & a few states out there trying to bring back hunting with out the everyday hunter having to come out of pocket to the landowner directly NE KS MN those states its not all about jacking up hotel prices & every farmer has a hand out for $$$ if they have a half way decent peace of land...

i never said that these farmers have to leave $$$ on the table & leave crops for strangers to hunt at there free will & to manage it like the state would if it were public like many many say once somebody says that farmers now days are crazy for asking 150-200 a day per gun & that it kinda takes the fun out of things to do so... also i makes these so called hurting friendly farmers out to be money hungry when they under cut folks who were out bid by another well to do hunter... i cant cry for them as thats how it goes when you pay somebody to hunt there land THEY NEVER HAVE ENOUGH $$$ & ALWAYS ASK FOR MORE & MORE thats what i have a BIG prob with like i say i wish all of us hunters would just hold onto our wallet for a season & see if them farmers are really hurting for $$$ as they may rethink there price range???

i had a drunk farmer who had let us hunt his land for yrs tell me when he found out i also hunt public land why dont i just pay his taxes if i want to hunt on his land next season??? i think thats alot of well off farmers mentality F U PAY ME & thats there write its there land but its get n worse and worse nowdays & i can notice it & im a young buck!!! hunting is going to go to those of us with the big money someday very much like the south is today you really have to pay to play to hunt a lot of species in the south... its sad to see...

i think MN would get a bad rap for doing the same thing if out of staters had to buy a out of state license then have to pay 150-200 on top of that each day to go out on a give n body of water to fish... then on top of that they would say u cant fish till 11:00-12:00 i could see folks in KS or ND asking that price or some wear in that ball park as you can hunt from sun rise to sun set in them states i mean thats a bang for your buck...

Lets see if this makes sense to you. If all you hunters hang on to your wallet for a year or even two, the price won't come down the habitat will go away. The CRP will turn into cropland and so will the food plots. Instead of the price going down there will be less hunting and less wildlife to hunt. The money that is paid is used to create habitat, it is really that simple.

it really puzzles me how i can go to states like kansas/nebraska & see no till planting & use of shelter belts the hight of the weat cut managed in some areas for nesting hens & hardly anybody there sticks there hands out there if you ask to hunt unless they are leased by a guide witch is a factor but i mean there is still nice farmers out there that dont throw the i need money to do good for the wildlife thing in your face every damn time you ask 2 take a walk on his land i think that mentality has more to do with that the farmers know they have a monopoly on things in SD & can make $$$ come pheasant season thats fine its just not all for the betterment of wildlife like you said the farmers would just assume plow property line to property line & tile it all up to make more $$$ if need be but it isnt as bad as it is in SD any of the other top 5 pheasant hunting states when i comes to the play to pay thing... now i see why some guys just go to game farms & hunt pheasants its the same mentality in a way...

its hard to compaire KS & SD they did get 750,000 pheasants there in KS last season & they can hunt from sun rise to sun set i think n on KS more & more after hearing it will be a mad house come opening day in SD & its basicly a pay to play state & we need to just suck it up & pay out the pocket book to hunt there its all coming back to me now why we never hunted SD for pheasants yet

its hard to compaire KS & SD they did get 750,000 pheasants there in KS last season & they can hunt from sun rise to sun set i think n on KS more & more after hearing it will be a mad house come opening day in SD & its basicly a pay to play state & we need to just suck it up & pay out the pocket book to hunt there its all coming back to me now why we never hunted SD for pheasants yet

I think the folks in KS would love to have you.

i think so as well kansas is great people & great habitat & its always good to go to a gas station out of state & get helpfull friendly people to talk to that offer land to hunt at no fee plus you dont have to dodge the slot machines in the gas station lol i see the mentality in SD not good it just sucks to wait till nov.14 or so to go out of state to hunt pheasant...

have a safe fun yr in SD boys dont think ill make it to that overly friendly state this season...

Not hard to pick out the Obama supporter in this thread. Could you greedy SD farmers also leave your house unlocked so I have somewhere to stay and the keys in your truck, no need in me wasting my gas. Make sure the refrigerator and liquor cabinet are also stocked. Some people always want something for nothing. I appreciate those farmers who improve the habitat and I am more than willing to pay a fair price for your hard work and loss production. It is simple economics. Supply and demand will dictate the market rate.

i think so as well kansas is great people & great habitat & its always good to go to a gas station out of state & get helpfull friendly people to talk to that offer land to hunt at no fee plus you dont have to dodge the slot machines in the gas station lol i see the mentality in SD not good it just sucks to wait till nov.14 or so to go out of state to hunt pheasant...

have a safe fun yr in SD boys dont think ill make it to that overly friendly state this season...

I sincerly hope you and your father have a good year. The state of South Dakota tries hard to provide public hunting, and most years I think they do a good job. Even the South Dakota can't avoid the effects of drought. For what it is worth I have farmers from Kansas that are coming here to hunt this year.

Hahaha.... nice post Georgia! Where are you from down there? I did a construction project on FT. Benning from 2007-2010 and lived up in Harris Co. (Fortson). Anyway, I always enjoy myself in SD, see smiling faces with some killer biscuits & gravy at the gas stations and diners and even lived there (Rapid City) from 2003-2005, working on another construction project at Ellsworth AFB, met my wife there and get up to hunt/fish as much as I can. Not sure where MN goes to, but as many of you said a strip here and another strip there is $$ out of a farmers pocket. The hunting income is what makes that worth it for the farmers, who have good numbers on corn finally and great analogy on the overtime and bonus... I know I don't pass them up, that's why I have NO summer hobbies and pick up the extra cash for supplementing my "hunting problem", as the Mrs. would say.
Hope to see some of you in a few weeks!
Martin

david0311

Being from MN myself I find your posts and rants embarrassing --I have never met a better bunch of people than those in South Dakota--

I have tons of private land to hunt due to contacts and friends made over the years--But still get plenty of birds off public /walk in lands--no cash has ever changed hands--gifts and appreciation of course--it would not be unusual though to see me picking corn-beans-flowers-hauling hay-working cattle or what ever, to help out when needed. A lot of it is attitude my friend--

And example o the great people--a couple of years ago while exploring I stopped on a road watching pheasants by dozens flying in to a small wetland area on private land-after watching bird after bird flying in I started to pull away as I did not have permission--A pick up pulled up along side (obviously the owner of the land) After saying hello I assured him I was just watching the birds and not going in there--he informed me he had been watching from his home place to see what I was going to do--and now I should go in there a get some of those birds--and I could hunt over there on some more of his land if I wished---

I'm afraid you fit the stereo type of the GUYS FROM THE BIG CITIES--it won't work out there--

Enjoy KS--we will try and make do in SD without you:)

Being from MN myself I find your posts and rants embarrassing --I have never met a better bunch of people than those in South Dakota--

I have tons of private land to hunt due to contacts and friends made over the years--But still get plenty of birds off public /walk in lands--no cash has ever changed hands--gifts and appreciation of course--it would not be unusual though to see me picking corn-beans-flowers-hauling hay-working cattle or what ever, to help out when needed. A lot of it is attitude my friend--

And example o the great people--a couple of years ago while exploring I stopped on a road watching pheasants by dozens flying in to a small wetland area on private land-after watching bird after bird flying in I started to pull away as I did not have permission--A pick up pulled up along side (obviously the owner of the land) After saying hello I assured him I was just watching the birds and not going in there--he informed me he had been watching from his home place to see what I was going to do--and now I should go in there a get some of those birds--and I could hunt over there on some more of his land if I wished---

I'm afraid you fit the stereo type of the GUYS FROM THE BIG CITIES--it won't work out there--

Enjoy KS--we will try and make do in SD without you:)

I am not from minn and I too am embarrased by his post. Anytime you lump everybody in one pot you are an idiot. I too have witnessed this type of kindness in SD. Last year I came to a great looking field. After asking if we could hunt it, I was told no because he had cattle in the cut corn next to the grass. He did let us hunt his stuff across the street that was marginal. While we were hunting it he moved his cattle and came and told us it was now fine to hunt there. We shot several birds and thanked him. He did this for 5 guys from Kansas who he had never met.

sorry i dont like to get robbed to hunt like most of you & i dont like the hole bend over & take it or the next hunter will mentality they have in SD... this got started when i said i couldnt feel sorry for a guy who pays to hold down a farm so others cant hunt then some other party offered more $$$ to the landowner so they said find some place else to hunt... that is B/S & not a good quality to have in a land owner why stand by there word its all about the $$$...

also im not a big city boy for all you MN guys out there talking out ur butt i live on a farm with a garden & crops & animals & deer/turkey in my back yard im not in a row house comunity in IGH or EAGAN we have lived in this house for over 30 yrs since there was still wild pheasants in dakota county ive never had any probs talking with or make n friends with rual country folk from oklahoma to florida red state of blue no big fancy SUV in my drive way & there is dirt under my finger nails so dont bring politics & or wear u think i live into the simple topic of SD is charge n way to much for a PAY TO PLAY hunt...

i see a few from the south didnt like the hole PAY TO PLAY comparison to SD
its common place in the deep south for guys to have to PAY TO PLAY due to no habitat left so thus its kind of a RICH MANs sport to be part of a hunt club in the south i see SD fast becomeing that way fast if its not there already...

i dont know how many of u have PM me saying u used to hunt SD public land but now you only hunt private due to the crazy pressure & lack of public lands
??? thats sad to hear happened because i thought SD did a great job of manageing there public lands but i guess thats not all true from many of the SD veteran hunters point of view???

to be honest im not embarrassed at all to say that SD pheasant hunt prices are crazy & way to high & that there is a few other states around that manage there public and private lands much better then SD dose & on top of that you dont have to pay to play in a lot of these other regions & states that have habitat that is as good or better then SD & better for wildlife like the drill planting & no plow pratices ETC. & when you ask to hunt the land the land owners dont pull the hole i need braces for my kid thing & then ask for $$$ out write...

also its hard not to lump SD residents that charge damn near the same fees from winner to mobridge & from onida to watertown there is good folks out there in SD but i have had SD resident tell me its just get n out of hand in SD for pheasants now days & has been for yrs now...

to be honest im not embarrassed at all to say that SD pheasant hunt prices are crazy & way to high & that there is a few other states around that manage there public and private lands much better then SD dose & on top of that you dont have to pay to play in a lot of these other regions & states that have habitat that is as good or better then SD & better for wildlife like the drill planting & no plow pratices ETC. & when you ask to hunt the land the land owners dont pull the hole i need braces for my kid thing & then ask for $$$ out write...

also its hard not to lump SD residents that charge damn near the same fees from winner to mobridge & from onida to watertown there is good folks out there in SD but i have had SD resident tell me its just get n out of hand in SD for pheasants now days & has been for yrs now...

If that's the case, why were you considering a South Dakota hunt in the first place?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back