Whew! It's Hot

BritChaser

Pity the poor birds in this heat. I guess they're fine if they can find a drink, but can they find a drink?

Tried to bring the birds a pickup bed full of water from Colorado yesterday. Drove in heavy rains much of my time on the loop from Limon, Kiowa, Elizabeth, Frantkton, Parker, Aurora, Ft. Collins, Greeley, Ft. Morgan, Arkon, Anton, Cope, Seibert, Burlington. Could see lots of water standing in the ditches and fields of SE Colorado in the wee hours of the morning this morning.

Sure hope the pump gets primed in these dry areas of SW Kansas.

Last edited:
Saw some parts of SW Kansas were going to be allowed to use some of next years water allotment this year to try and save some crops. That would be a tough call, this years crop may be too damaged to yield, next years could end up short on moisture if that allotment isn't available in full. Of course the bankers don't care. There ought to be a Government decree of loan extensions from the time of a disaster declaration, which stops time on ag loans till the crisis is over. In effect add months or years to the term, with payments begining 1 year from the time the disaster declaration is lifted. There is going to be a lot of stressed operators in this deal. Smart play would be to sit it out, and for all parties, to stand still until it passes. Of course this would require imaginative thought by our elected officials, and enforced forebearance upon the lenders. Even the suggestion the pinheads concieve and implement a plan like this sounds laughable, but that's what ought to happen. It would also be the cheapest way to ease through the crisis as well. It would work for flooding, and storm relief. Nobody in our infrastructure should be forced to go broke through an "act of God" event. it's tough enough as it is.

One of several reasons I don't like 'balls to the wall' irrigation' practices.

not sure I understand anything about this so called water alotment

every 1/4 mile watering system is going full blast- doubt there's a farmer here who is concerned with government saying how much they can pump or for how long- is someone saying that our Government is going to tell them when to shut off their irrigation system

Normally in NW Iowa we could hear all kinds of roosters in the early morning and late evenings as it's cool, but the last few weeks haven't heard anything. I'm getting a little worried.

not sure I understand anything about this so called water alotment

every 1/4 mile watering system is going full blast- doubt there's a farmer here who is concerned with government saying how much they can pump or for how long- is someone saying that our Government is going to tell them when to shut off their irrigation system

I heard from a farmer in Nebraska a few years back that new Pivot irrigation installations would require installing a water meter after drilling. Truth?

Okie thats correct. Its not just ground water even guys watering out of lakes have to have meters installed and keep track of how much water they use. If DWR spot checks you and its not installed, you will lose your water rights. You can only use so much water if you go over you will be fined or lose your water rights. A lot of guys in western Kansas have gave up trying to water whole circles and are just watering half because they didn't have enough water to keep up watering it all.

I will be in Kansas and Nebraska next week scouting, maybe I can find some potentially decent ground to hunt, maybe not. At any rate, I will make the long drive to get some good exercise. I even thought of driving just a bit extra to Iowa but everyone says the numbers are down in recent years.

are you traveling with your bird dogs- if you swing thru SW Kansas I might be interested in turning a Britt or two loose with yours to see if there are birds arround

My son is playing a baseball tournament at KSU stadium this weekend.
We played the 10 am game, and it was really hot and humid. We had a rain shower about 7 am this morning so the turf was moist.

It was 102*F when we got home about noon. Its not even August yet :eek:

My son is playing a baseball tournament at KSU stadium this weekend.
We played the 10 am game, and it was really hot and humid. We had a rain shower about 7 am this morning so the turf was moist.

It was 102*F when we got home about noon. Its not even August yet :eek:

Ha, we're playing a baseball tournament about 10 miles away from you in St. George. Our game yesterday was at 3:15 and it was a bear! And yes, August has yet to arrive.

Ha, we're playing a baseball tournament about 10 miles away from you in St. George. Our game yesterday was at 3:15 and it was a bear! And yes, August has yet to arrive.

What age group are the boys?

I hate to think how hot it is going to be this afternoon. Played golf this morning at 7am. When we got done at 10 it was in the mid 90s.

Okie thats correct. Its not just ground water even guys watering out of lakes have to have meters installed and keep track of how much water they use. If DWR spot checks you and its not installed, you will lose your water rights. You can only use so much water if you go over you will be fined or lose your water rights. A lot of guys in western Kansas have gave up trying to water whole circles and are just watering half because they didn't have enough water to keep up watering it all.

More Government control I suppose

What age group are the boys?

I hate to think how hot it is going to be this afternoon. Played golf this morning at 7am. When we got done at 10 it was in the mid 90s.

Same here in North Texas. Got done playing tennis yesterday morning around 10 and the temp reading in the car was 95 degrees!

Back