What is the Best Pheasant Recipe Ever?

My absolute favorite is to make pheasant noodle soup.

I take bone in pheasant pieces and brown them well in a very little bit of oil in the bottom of a stock pot. This is the key step. Don't short cut it. You want all that dark brown stuff on the bottom of the pot. Add about 4 qts water or more and slowly simmer covered for a couple hours. Don't boil our you end up with a cloudy stock. skim off the foam as it comes up.

Remove pheasant and let cool.

add:
2 carrots peeled and cut up
2 stalks celery cut up
1 large yellow onion cut up

Simmer for 1/2 hour

add de-boned and cut up pheasant

salt to taste

couple of handful's egg noodles

just before noodles are done add about a tables spoon of dried dill (sort of a nod to Jewish chicken noodle soup- it adds alot)

I've added chicken stock/chicken bullion cubes/chicken soup base but pheasants have so much more flavor than chicken I don't think it's necessary.

This is a great one from Emeril

Roast Pheasant with Whisky-Cumberland Sauce

Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2001

Prep Time:
20 min
Inactive Prep Time:
--
Cook Time:
1 hr 0 min

Level:
Intermediate

Serves:
4 servings

Ingredients

* 1/4 cup Scotch whisky
* 2 oranges, cut into 1/8ths
* 4 sprigs fresh thyme
* 2 (2 to 2 1/2-pound) pheasants
* Salt
* Freshly ground black pepper
* 6 slices bacon, halved

Whisky-Cumberland Sauce:

* 1 cup Scotch whisky
* 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
* 2 tablespoons grated orange zest
* 1 cup red currant jelly
* 1/4 teaspoon salt
* Pinch cayenne
* Serving suggestion: Wild rice

Directions

For the pheasant: Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.

In a bowl, toss the oranges with 3 tablespoons of the whisky. Rub the pheasants with the remaining 1 tablespoon of whisky and lightly season with salt and pepper. Stuff each pheasant with the oranges and 1 sprig of fresh thyme, and close the cavities with skewers. Wrap the breast of each pheasant with the bacon and set in a roasting pan. Roast the pheasants until an instant-read thermometer inserted into the thickest part of the breast registers 160 degrees F., about 45 minutes. Remove from the oven and let stand 10 minutes.

For the Whisky Cumberland Sauce: In a medium saucepan, combine the whisky, orange juice, and orange zest, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until reduced by 50 percent in volume to about 3/4 cup. Add the currant jelly, salt, and cayenne, and stir well.

Cook until thickened, about 2 to 3 minutes. Remove from the heat and pour into a decorative bowl. Cool slightly before serving.

Remove the bacon from the pheasant breasts, if desired, and cut each bird in half. Discard the oranges and thyme in the cavity. Serve hot with Whisky-Cumberland Sauce and wild rice.

This is a really easy, excellent pheasant recipe

* 1 (2 1/2 lb) pheasants, dressed
* 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
* 1/2 cup butter or 1/2 cup margarine
* 1 onion, chopped
* 1 stalk celery, chopped
* 1 cup chicken broth
* 1 cup whipping cream
* 3 whole allspice
* 2 tablespoons sherry wine
* 1/2 teaspoon salt
* 1/2 teaspoon pepper
* 2 cups cooked wild rice

Directions:

Prep Time: 20 mins

Total Time: 2 1/2 hrs

1. 1 Cut pheasant into quarters.
2. 2 Dredge pieces in flour.
3. 3 Melt butter in oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat.
4. 4 Add pheasant, and cook until browned on both sides, turning once.
5. 5 Add onion and next 7 ingredients.
6. 6 Put oven-safe skillet in oven.
7. 7 Bake, covered, at 350°F for 1 1/2 hours or until tender.
8. 8 Remove pheasant from skillet, and keep warm.
9. 9 Cook pan drippings in skillet over medium-high heat until reduced to 2 cups.
10. 10 Serve with pheasant and rice.

Here's the best recipe I've eaten (with minor adjustments as borrowed from another forum):

Game birds in a sun dried tomato/tarragon cream sauce

The filleted breasts & thighs of 4-5 pheasants
4 tbs butter
4 shallots (minced)
1 cup dry white wine
1 cup (8.5oz) sun dried tomatoes in oil (drain off the majority of the oil
and coarsely chop the tomatoes)
2 tbs FRESH tarragon
1 pint heavy (whipping) cream
Parmesan cheese

Heat butter in a pan and sear lightly salted/peppered meat on both sides over medium-high heat. You are not trying to cook all the way through, but maybe 2/3 done with a nice brown to each side. Remove from heat and cover. Pour off the majority of liquid and add some more butter. Add shallots to the pan and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add the white wine and deglazed the pan. Scrape up any brown bits from the pan. Add the tarragon, coarsely chopped sun-dried tomatoes and cream. Bring to a low simmer. Do not boil. Add meat and any juices from the platter. Allow to simmer until all is heated through and juices have mixed (5-10 minutes plus or minus- for the greater part, the meat finished cooking while resting on the tented platter).

Serve over linguini (16 oz package- serves 4 to 6 hungry adults). Sprinkle with shredded parmesan. Probably will need to be salted. Goes well with a crusty bread to sop up any extra sauce. Best enjoyed with hunting partners at the table and dogs at your feet.

ratt

Nice thread!!!! Mmh, MMH - I think I'll spend the next couple months slowly emptying out my freezer trying them all one-by-one! :thumbsup:

I really enjoy a very simple thrown-together recipe I call "Drunken Pheasant Vinagrette": marinate overnite or few hrs in white wine & vinaigrette, slit pockets along each side of center breast bone & insert slivers of pepper (roasted-red, bell, jalapeño, green chile, whatever - your pick) and white cheese (Monterrey jack, asadero, ect.), drape a couple half-slices of bacon over top for added flavor/moisture, then slow-cook on the grill @ low to medium heat, not high...Make sure to save part of the bottle of Sauvignon, Grigio or Chard used for the marinade as a perfect pairing! :cheers:

I'll try some of these, once I get thru the first step (which was problemmatic in the wind yesterday)"

1) Harvest a Pheasant . . .

Anyone try taking a few breasts pounding them with a mallet, seasoning to taste, dip in egg than coat with Panko, and fry until brown. Very easy and good the Panko is the secret.

This is not mine I got it from a guy in ND and he eats lots of birds:):)

Anyone try taking a few breasts pounding them with a mallet, seasoning to taste, dip in egg than coat with Panko, and fry until brown. Very easy and good the Panko is the secret.

This is not mine I got it from a guy in ND and he eats lots of birds:):)

I pound the breasts flat, dip in seasoned four, then egg/milk mixture and then soda cracker crumbs. Fry in oil until nearly done, then top with marinara or pizza sauce and mozzarella cheese, cover until the cheese melts and serve.

Stuffed Breast of Pheasant En Croute

OK, so this isn't a whip it up in 15 minutes recipe fella's but after all the different one's I've tried, it takes the cake. Just ignore the calorie, fat, and sodium percentages and eat salad for a week after. ;)

Servings:4

Ingredients:
4 pheasant breast halves
1 tablespoon butter
3/4 cup brie cheese, diced
1 tablespoon shallot, minced and sauteed until translucent
1 teaspoon garlic, minced and sauteed until translucent
2 tablespoons tomatoes, concasse (peeled, seeded and diced)
2 tablespoons green onions, chopped
2 tablespoons cremini mushrooms, finely chopped
1 teaspoon sage, finely chopped
4 slices bacon
salt and pepper
4 sheets puff pastry, 5 x 5 inches
1 egg, beaten

Prep Time: 25 minsTotal Time: 40 mins

Directions:
1Season breast with salt and pepper.
2Sear well in a pan with butter and let cool.
3Mix Brie, shallots, garlic, tomato, onion, mushrooms and sage.
4Season to taste.
5Stuff ¼ of cheese mixture under the skin of each cooled breast.
6Wrap each with a slice of bacon.
7Wrap with puff pastry.
8Brush top with beaten egg.
9Bake at 425 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
?Have a question about this recipe? Ask the community.
Spot an error? Submit a correction.

I've come up with an idea while in SD. I had a "pork fritter" sandwich in St. Pierre and I thought it would be great with pheasant as well. Haven't tried it yet but here's my idea.

Pound pheasant breasts 1/2" thick
Dredge in egg wash and bread crumbs
Fry golden Brown
Serve on a fresh bun with homemade honey mustard, grilled onions and maybe some diced, sauteed apples (optional).

When I try it I'll post pics and a review.

Really wish I could get some Shiner bock around here to have with it.:cheers:

Last edited:
In the UK & Ireland we are quite fond of our pies, so this is my go-to recipe with regards to Pheasant and also works with rabbit:

- Cut pheasant breasts into cubes. Dust with flour and brown the meat off.
- Fry off some streaky bacon or lardons until crispy.
- Now chop all veg. I use Leeks (instead of onions), a few sticks of celery, carrots, mushrooms.
- Put all the chopped veg in a large pot along with the fried pheasant & bacon.
- Add a pint or 2 of chicken stock and simmer.
- During simmering add: mixed herbs, salt, pepper, worcester sauce, splash of tobasco, pearl barley (couple of tablespoons to thicken up the mix).
- Let it simmer until the pie filling is the required consistency, I normally wait until it is thick enough to eat with a fork.
- Let the mixture cool and transfer to a oven dish and cover with puff pastry.
- Cook in oven until the puff pastry is cooked.

This is excellent!!!

I've come up with an idea while in SD. I had a "pork fritter" sandwich in St. Pierre and I thought it would be great with pheasant as well. Haven't tried it yet but here's my idea.

Fry golden Brown
Serve on a fresh bun with homemade honey mustard, grilled onions and maybe some diced, sauteed apples (optional).

As far as a review, I can give you all one right now. :thumbsup:
You can use boned half breasts to.
And kick it up another notch and use finely ground saltine crackers instead of the bread crumbs.
Want a real adventure, :) Sharptail Grouse cooked up like this in the back country. :cheers:

My "popper" recipe

Pheasants cut into large bite size pieces.

Marinade:
Equal parts of Italian dressing, La Choy soy sauce (way better for marinading than Kikiomann) and Worcestershire sauce.
1 can of EVAPORATED Milk.

Wrap: bacon strips, cut in half
slivered, unseeded, unribbed, jalapenos. (leave the ribs and seeds if you want more heat.)

Wrap pheasant and jalapeno in bacon, secure with toothpick and grill until the juices run clear of the pheasant. Watch out for flareups from the bacon. You will not go wrong. I promise.

Mine is pheasant breast marsala which calls for both marsala and sherry wines. got the recipe off the internet. The breading is flour laced with salt, pepper, and oregano; the saute is butter and olive oil. Serve over rice or pasta.

Two favorites from Hank Shaw's blog: Pheasant and Dumplings
http://honest-food.net/2012/01/24/pheasant-and-dumplings/

and

Prickly Pear Pheasant (I use maple syrup)
http://honest-food.net/wild-game/ph...cipes/roast-pheasant-with-prickly-pear-glaze/

I've also been playing around with game pot pies with a mixture of birds, deer, etc. So far so good... comfort food for January! :)

Hank Shaw 's recipes are Awesome. Try the General Tsao's pheasant, you won't be disappointed.

My "popper" recipe

Pheasants cut into large bite size pieces.

Marinade:
Equal parts of Italian dressing, La Choy soy sauce (way better for marinading than Kikiomann) and Worcestershire sauce.
1 can of EVAPORATED Milk.

Wrap: bacon strips, cut in half
slivered, unseeded, unribbed, jalapenos. (leave the ribs and seeds if you want more heat.)

Wrap pheasant and jalapeno in bacon, secure with toothpick and grill until the juices run clear of the pheasant. Watch out for flareups from the bacon. You will not go wrong. I promise.

If you mix bleu cheese, cream cheese and diced onions and fill the peppers before you wrap with bacon they will sing songs about you.....trust me. I have people eating pheasant that swear they never would.:10sign:

Fry golden Brown

I've done this for years but I make it into pheasant Parmesan. Served under a little red sauce with some fresh grated Parmesan. (with our without the pasta).

Works best with bread crumbs that are seasoned and don't forget to salt and pepper the breasts/egg wash and bread crumbs. For the crumbs I add some parmesan, fresh basil, dried oregano, onion and garlic powders. Would be good as a sandwich.

Back