What is the Best Pheasant Recipe Ever?

We knocked the pheasant dead this past New Year's Eve during our family hunt. Cooked some of them up yesterday in cooking bags @ 375 degrees with sliced apples and apple juice in a cooking bag for about an hour & 15 mins (Its my dad's recipe). I thought it came out really dry, there has to be better recipe's out there. Anyone have a recipe that is a solid 9 out of 10 or better? Thanks.

Regards,
The Holliday Family:10sign:

Easy, debone pheasant and cut into pieces. Fry pheasant pieces just like chicken, serve with mashed taters and gravy and sweet peas. Doesn't get much better than that.

Sweet and sour Pheasant, Hard to beat Imo. Whole phez Soaked in Sweat and sour sauce. Great stuff. No?:)

I agree with Quail hound on the frying but it is easy to dry out. Deep frying also great and easy to keep moist. I smoke 75% of the birds I shoot. Here is a recipe I used to cook some up for the people at work. I used some grouse and some pheasant with this recipe and everyone really liked it. The recipe is from allrecipe.com Tender Pheasant

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tender-Pheasants/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
4 small pheasants, cleaned and rinsed
1/2 pound sliced bacon
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions
1.Place the pheasants into a large slow cooker. Wrap and drape the bacon over the birds, covering the pheasants as much as you can. Whisk the condensed soup, sour cream, water, chopped onion, onion soup mix, and mushrooms together in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the pheasants.
2.Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or on High for 5 to 7 hours.

I agree with Quail hound on the frying but it is easy to dry out. Deep frying also great and easy to keep moist. I smoke 75% of the birds I shoot. Here is a recipe I used to cook some up for the people at work. I used some grouse and some pheasant with this recipe and everyone really liked it. The recipe is from allrecipe.com Tender Pheasant

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Tender-Pheasants/Detail.aspx

Ingredients
4 small pheasants, cleaned and rinsed
1/2 pound sliced bacon
1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of mushroom soup
1 cup sour cream
1 cup water
1 small onion, chopped
1 (1 ounce) package dry onion soup mix
1 (4.5 ounce) can sliced mushrooms
salt and ground black pepper to taste
Directions
1.Place the pheasants into a large slow cooker. Wrap and drape the bacon over the birds, covering the pheasants as much as you can. Whisk the condensed soup, sour cream, water, chopped onion, onion soup mix, and mushrooms together in a mixing bowl. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Pour over the pheasants.
2.Cook on Low for 8 to 10 hours, or on High for 5 to 7 hours.

Had this one, and is good , keep those recipe's coming. yummy.

cut pheasant into bite size pieces.
dip in egg batter, whole eggs blended by hand.
then drop pieces in big Tupperware bowl full of flour and spices
(garlic salt, pepper, dill, and onion salt)...shake until pieces coated.
drop in Fry Daddy, deep fry in peanut oil, set at 435 degrees.

come out crispy on outside, tender and juicy on the inside.

serve up with wild rice, sauteed mushrooms, buttered garlic bread and a great bottle of wine.

don't invite the neighbors, there won't be enough! :cheers:

I can’t say it’s the best recipe, but it makes some pretty good bird. I’ve used it on pheasant, turkey, and chicken. Bear in mind, the measurements are for brining a turkey and may need to be adjusted accordingly.

½ gallon apple cider
2 cups brown sugar
2 cups kosher salt
¼ cup whole black peppercorns
4 bay leaves
2 cinnamon sticks
1 teaspoon whole cloves
1 tablespoon juniper berries (optional)
11 (12 ounce) bottles/cans of beer or 1 gallon water (highly recommend using beer)

Place all ingredients in a non-reactive container big enough to hold the bird(s)/all ingredients and stir until the salt and brown sugar have dissolved. Add the beer or water last. Place birds in mixture and brine for 12-24 hours.

Cook to your liking. I slow cook on the grill using lump charcoal and finish off with apple wood.

Boneless buffalo wings/chunks

If you like boneless buffalo wings, I have used this recipe with cubed up pheasant breast. It was the hit of the party. It is a bit of work, but worth it. I used the breasts from 3 pheasants. You can make the sauce less "hot" by using half bbq sauce.

http://www.cdkitchen.com/recipes/recs/80/Boneless_Buffalo_Wings42342.shtml

Ingredients:
1 pound Skinless Chicken Breast (1" cut 1 1/4"x 1 1/4" squares)
3 cups flour
1 1/2 cup buttermilk
1 1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 teaspoon black pepper
vegetable oil (peanut oil is great for frying)
*** Hot Sauce:***
3/4 cup Frank's Hot Sauce
1/4 cup water
1 tablespoon butter
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper

Directions:

Place sauce ingredients in small pan and simmer 4 - 5 minutes until blended well. Remove sauce from heat, set aside to cool. Mix flour, salt, and pepper in bowl. Place buttermilk in separate bowl. Prepare chicken breast pieces 1" thick, 1 1/4" x 1 1/4"square. Heat oil for frying, about 360F. Dust chicken pieces in flour then dip them into the buttermilk and back into the flour, gently shaking excess flour off pieces and carefully place pieces into hot oil and fry until golden brown. Remove chicken pieces and drain. When all chicken breasts have been fried and drained, place them a bowl and cover with sauce that has been prepared. Place a lid on bowl and gently shake or stir until all nuggets have been coated. Place boneless buffalo wings on non stick baking sheet and bake in a preheated oven at 350F for 20 minutes. Serve with blue cheese and celery.

I like the Ka-Bobs.
(I posted this before I think)
Onion - mushrooms - green peppers
Phez soaked in Italian salad dressing four a couple hours
Bannana peppers wrapped in bacon. Quail works really good also.
Enjoy on the beach.
Man I'm getting the winter blues:mad:

fathersday10023.jpg

july071.jpg

I make some of birds into sausage and then made the Bacon Explosion using pheasant sausage and it was incredible. The pheasant sausage is leaner than port sausage and it made the bacon explosion better.

Google BACON EXPLOSION and you can find out how to make it. It is pretty much 16 pieces of bacon weaved together in a mat and then 2lbs of sausage spread on it with BBQ sauce and bacon bits. Then roll up the sausage and then roll the bacon mat around it. Smoke or put in oven and then coat in BBQ sauce.

As for the sausage I have a hand grinder but have done it with a knife before too (just a lot more work). I grind 5-6 birds then grind 1 pound of bacon, some dried apricot, jalapeño, salt, pepper, and fennel - then mix really good. I put mine into 1/4 pound patties and freeze. The bacon adds moisture to the pheasant.

IMG_1562.JPG

IMG_1566.JPG

The other dish you see in the first photos is pheasant sausage with cream cheese and parmisan cheese put into jalapeno halfs. Another tasty dish.

I have also done a beer can pheasant on the smoker and it has turned out really good. The beer keeps the pheasant moist.

Bon Apetite!

IRONWIRE
I may have to plan a trip to CO this year for supper:D
That looks really good.
I've done the jalapeno pepper before and thats also wonderfull.

I too enjoy pheasant kabobs nothing better! I also mix in a little cubed deer steak marinated in an A1 steak sauce marinade. I will also cube pheasant and make a breading with flour, chili powder and what ever spices you like and fry them in butter with onions and mushrooms, now Im hungry!!

Last edited:
Pheasant Parm Subs:
Cut the breasts of three birds into 1/2" by 2" strips.
Remove all bloodshot meat, and membrane or tendon.
Soak in milk for a bit.
Make your favorite red spaghetti sauce.(I like 1 can diced tomatoes and green chiles, 1 can diced tomatoes and lime, two cans tomatoe paste, one onion fully chopped, 1-2 jalepenos, 1-2 green peppers, 1 package pre sliced mushrooms, 4-6 diced cloves garlic, 2 tbsp honey, 1 tbsp black pepper.)
Dip phez chunks in egg, and then bread in Italian breadcrumbs.
Fry phez chunks, careful to not overcook. Set aside.
Buy high quality hoagie rolls, and fill with phez chunks.
Add amount of sauce you like.
Cover liberally with mixture of parm, mozz, and asiago cheeses.
Wrap in tin foil and bake for 30-45 minutes.
Serve with steak fries and COLD beer!
Enjoy.

I just finished your pheasant subs and I must say they are very good. I followed the recipe to the T, right down to the steak fries and two ice cold Mooseheads. I made two extra to take hunting with me tomorrow. Thanks for sharing.

Here's one I like. In fact I'm making it tomorrow night and having some friends over for supper.

BBQ Pheasant

2 pheasants (deboned breast & thighs)
½ medium onion, diced
¼ cup marg or butter
¼ cup brown sugar
2 stalks celery cut in inch pieces
1 small can mushrooms drained
1 14 oz can diced tomatoes
½ bottle of your favorite BBQ sauce

Lightly dredge pheasant pieces in flour. In large skillet, lightly brown pheasant pieces with butter on medium heat. Set browned pheasant aside. Using same skillet (with drippings from browning) sauté onions and celery until tender crisp. Add mushrooms, tomatoes, brown sugar and BBQ sauce. Simmer 5-10 minutes. Remove from heat. In 9 x 13 baking dish layer pheasant pieces with sauce. Cover with lid or aluminum foil. Bake at 275 degrees for 3 hours.

This thread inspired me and I just threw together and ate the following:

Pheasant Burgers
3 pheasants
1/2 package of bacon (I had "smoked bacon" on hand)
Bread crumbs
Canadian Steak seasoning
1 package of dried onion soup mix

Directions: Grind pheasant and bacon together in a food processor. Place in a large bowl and mix in the onion soup mix. Add seasoning as desired, and bread crumbs until you're happy with the consistency. Fold everything together, pattie, and grill. I then topped some with american cheese, some with swiss cheese, and left some plain. Made 6 patties.

Was mmmmm good! Should have taken pics for you.

Pheasant Poppers.

I made pheasant poppers for the in-laws who had never had pheasant this Christmas.

Pretty simple.

Ingredients:
Pheasant - as much or little as you want.
1 Jar of jalapeno slices
1 lb of bacon
1 pkg of bamboo skewers (or whatever you have.)

Directions:
1. Soak the skewers in water.
2. Cube the pheasant meat.
3. Marinate the pheasant in jalapeno juice.
4. Cut bacon strips into thirds.
5. Place a piece of pheasant on bacon and add a jalapeno slice or two.
6. Wrap the pheasant and jalapeno in bacon and slide onto the skewer.
7. Cook on the grill until done.

It's a great appetizer! I have also had them where people add a dollop of cream cheese on before they wrap them in bacon.

Old SD Family Recipe

Our old family recipe makes for some delicious phez:

1. Debone both the breast and thighs
2. Cut into uniform pieces
3. Dip in beaten egg
4. Coat with finely crushed soda cracker crumbs seasoned to taste
5. Pan fry or deep fat fry in your preferred cooking oil.
**Do not overcook

After our first day of hunting we usually find 3 or 4 birds that are a little more shot up and cook them up this way for breakfast. Sausage and bacon gets ignored until the pheasant is all gone!!! :D

Our old family recipe makes for some delicious phez:

1. Debone both the breast and thighs
2. Cut into uniform pieces
3. Dip in beaten egg
4. Coat with finely crushed soda cracker crumbs seasoned to taste
5. Pan fry or deep fat fry in your preferred cooking oil.
**Do not overcook

After our first day of hunting we usually find 3 or 4 birds that are a little more shot up and cook them up this way for breakfast. Sausage and bacon gets ignored until the pheasant is all gone!!! :D

Very close to how I do it. I cut the deboned pheasant into bite size pieces and then before dipping in the egg/milk mixture I roll/coat the pieces in seasonded flour. Then the egg and soda cracker crumbs. Also makes a great appetizer. Everyone I serve them to can't get enough.

What I do is fry them then bake in the oven for 15 min. in cream of mushroom then serve.

Or season with cinnimon, and red and black pepper, and a little salt roast them in the oven till well done and nice golden brown, be sure to put it on a broiling pan and cover with tin foil, bascily cook them like a turkey or chicken.

Boomer, I cut my Pheasant into strips and chunks and do what your recipe instructs. They are just like eating chicken Tenders and Nuggets. I get no complaints on them. My son eats them cold just like chicken.......Bob

Last edited:
Back