What is the Best Pheasant Recipe Ever?

If you mix bleu cheese, cream cheese and diced onions and fill the peppers before you wrap with bacon they will sing songs about you.....trust me. I have people eating pheasant that swear they never would.:10sign:

I would do this but I only use a sliver of jalapeno when I make these "poppers." They aren't really poppers by the definition but they seem to go over rather well. I made 58 for the office Christmas party, and didn't bring any home.

Fill a 12 quart kettle almost full of water and bring it to a boil. Place 1 whole pheasant, about 3 pounds, in the boiling water. The water will stop boiling in just a moment or so. Using wooden spoons so that you do not tear the skin, remove the pheasant from the water and place it on a tray. Cover the pot and bring the water back to a boil. Put the pheasant back into the pot, cover and turn off the heat. Leave the pheasant in the pot and the pot on the burner, but you will need no more heat. The water will be hot enough to cook the bird. After 1 hour the pheasant is done. Remove and cool and debone it. Some of the poaching water can be used to cover the meat or use the meat for other pheasant dishes that calls for cooked pheasant.

If you mix bleu cheese, cream cheese and diced onions and fill the peppers before you wrap with bacon they will sing songs about you.....trust me. I have people eating pheasant that swear they never would.:10sign:

don't ballads usually involve a man of broad shoulders and great height with unmatched skills of quarterstaff and fist:D

Last edited:
Dang Browndogs, I mean one of my NY's resolutions was to lose some weight but you didn't have to rub it in like that. Vicious! LOL :D Guess I better go run! Esp after reading some of these damn fine recipes! :thumbsup:

2 pheasants boned, about 5-6 cups

1 red pepper 1 yellow pepper chopped
1 whole yellow onion chopped
3 large carrots chopped
3 celery stalks chopped
1 pablano pepper chopped
6 jalapeno peppers finely chopped
2 quarts chicken broth - I used swanson in the box

1 tablespoon cumin
1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons honey
1 bunch of cilantro
Couple of limes
Sour cream

1. Brown the pheasants in a large soup pot with olive oil. Remove from pot.
2. Brown the veggies in the same pot with olive oil. When browned add the pheasant back in.
3. Pour chicken broth in the pot. Just make sure everything is covered, usually a box and a half should do it.
4. Add the cumin, cinnamon, and honey
5. Let simmer for at least 1 hour
6. Serve with chopped cilantro, squeeze in a wedge of lime and add a 1/2 tablespoon or so of sour cream.

Very close to what I do, but haven't tried mixing in the bleu cheese - interesting thought. I also top my "stack" with a water chesnut, mostly for crunch. They are indeed excellent. I made @ 60 of them for Xmas, and several in-laws told me they were the "best thing they ever tasted", or words to that effect. I do think an entire half-jalapeno is pretty mandatory - they loose a lot of heat in the grilling, so not as hot as you'd think.

1 pheasant - boned, preferably shredded a little bit.
1 Jar of homemade black bean and corn salsa.
1 can of cream corn.
1 Can of black beans.
I also through some onion and some tomato in there.
Serve in a taco shell or over rice or in a bowl. Serve with guacamole and/or sour cream.

We are really big on pheasant pies at our house , but sometimes do lasagna and pheasant cutlets as well.:)
The wife even taught me how to make the pastry from scratch!:D

David

Matte's Butter Fried Pheasant.

1-Pheasant cut into small pieces (whole legs and thighs)
1- Stick of un-salted Butter
1-Season salt to tast

Melt butter in cast iron but not to the point it caramelizes. Fry on medium heat for about three-five minutes.

10926367_10152964786960549_7595706710862970669_n.jpg

Very close to what I do, but haven't tried mixing in the bleu cheese - interesting thought. I also top my "stack" with a water chesnut, mostly for crunch. They are indeed excellent. I made @ 60 of them for Xmas, and several in-laws told me they were the "best thing they ever tasted", or words to that effect. I do think an entire half-jalapeno is pretty mandatory - they loose a lot of heat in the grilling, so not as hot as you'd think.

The bleu cheese gives it some tang. Try serrano peppers they have pretty good heat and are usually the right size. I go on a fishing trip with about 15 guys and they will pound a 100 or so on saturday afternoon while we are frying fish. I have quite a following with these things. They aralso good with duck, but i 1/2 cook the bacon first cause duck must be rare.

Thigh Pate'

(certainly can be done with breasts also)

Fillet and season thighs and grill till medium .
2012-10-15_20_31_02.jpg

Cool and grind along with some onion.
2012-10-17_18_46_15.jpg

Add Miracle Whip, a few drops of Liquid Smoke, some gourmet mustard, and if you want a little heat, add crushed red peppers to suit taste buds.
2012-10-17_19_22_16.jpg

Combine it all and cool. Serve with Ritz Crackers, or on bread with a leaf of lettuce for a sandwich.
2012-10-17_19_26_09.jpg

It wont last long. Excellent party or game snack. The batch I brought to the office this morning, is gone..

Hank Shaw 's recipes are Awesome. Try the General Tsao's pheasant, you won't be disappointed.

I did the roasted whole pheasant on Sunday. I barely winged my last bird of the year - 3 pellets in total - so figured I'd hang it (7 days) then pluck it and roast.

Dry plucked and it went very easily actually. Was surprised. Only one little tear of the skin. The flight feathers are a little tougher to get out but that's because it was 10 degrees and I had on crappy gloves.

Brined it for four hours then trussed and roasted high for 15 min then low for 35 min per the recipe.

It was awesome. Should have taken pictures of it. Golden brown skin, moist and tender breast meat.

My alltime favorite follows:

4 pheasant breasts
9 strips of fatty bacon
1bottle favorite Italian dressing
Marinade injector
1cup rice
1 TBSP OLIVE OIL (NOT VEGTABLE)

start by injecting the breasts with Italian dressing. Let marinade with additonal dressing on top for four hours. Wrap bacon in a gift wrap fashion (+ design) around each breast. Pin in place using toothpicks. Place in oven safe pan, with extra strip of bacon, and cook covered for 45minutes at 375?. Then, uncover, and cook an additional 15 minutes. Remove from oven, and pan sear the bacon to crisp it up, in a hot pan with olive oil added. This is simply to brown the bacon, and should be done for approximately 15 seconds on each side if the pan is HOT. Serve over a bed of rice. Thank me later. Serves 2.

Last edited:
Pheasant With Creamed Morel Mushrooms

Pheasant With Creamed Morel Mushrooms
Ingredients:
? 4 Boneless Pheasant Breasts
? 2 Cups Water
? 1 Ounce Morel Mushrooms, Dried
? 1 Ounce Butter
? 1/8 tsp Garlic, Minced
? 8 Ounces Heavy Cream
? 1/2 Chicken Bouillon Cube
? 1 tsp Tomato Paste
? Salt and White Pepper, To Taste

Bring the water to a boil and add the morels. Remove from heat and allow the mushrooms to soak for 1 hour. Remove the mushrooms and reserve the liquid. Rinse the mushrooms thoroughly under cold running water and pat dry with a towel. Strain the liquid to remove any dirt particles and cook over high heat until reduced to 1/4 cup; reserve.

Saute the mushrooms in the butter and garlic for 2 minutes; do not brown. Add the heavy cream, bouillon cube and tomato paste and bring to a boil. Reduce the cream by half until it is quite thick. Adjust flavor with salt and pepper; keep warm.

Roll pheasant breast in seasoned flour and pan fry in vegetable oil.

Place Pheasant breasts on plate and top with morel cream sauce.

A few smoked chickens for dinner tonight. Can you tell which one came from a ditch?:D

I've come up with an idea while in SD. I had a "pork fritter" sandwich in St. Pierre and I thought it would be great with pheasant as well. Haven't tried it yet but here's my idea.

Pound pheasant breasts 1/2" thick
Dredge in egg wash and bread crumbs
Fry golden Brown
Serve on a fresh bun with homemade honey mustard, grilled onions and maybe some diced, sauteed apples (optional).

When I try it I'll post pics and a review.

Really wish I could get some Shiner bock around here to have with it.:cheers:

I also finally made my "pheasant fritter" sandwich the other night, quite good I must admit.:cheers:

Back