Two Toms Bagged!

BritChaser

Our morning set up in Graham County did not yield a shot. We wanted the two toms out of range but they busied themselves chasing away other males rather than wooing our decoys. I was solo after lunch and saw three or four toms with just two hens at another field. I snuck through the trees to get closer, set the decoys, and started calling. A single tom broke off from the group, gobbled once very close, then emerged from the trees. Unit 1 tag filled. Nine inch beard.

Later in the day I set up in my cousin's alfalfa field along the Republican River in Republic County. Two toms came out at the south end of the field over half mile away; they would look but not come in. A single tom in the trees to the west began gobbling to my calls, came out and strutted, but went back into the trees. Meanwhile another tom came out from along the creek about 500 yards away, fed for awhile and then began slowly working his way toward me. While waiting for him I heard something to the west and there was the strutting tom who had gone back into the trees closing on my decoys and within range. He strutted up to the jake decoy and got chest to chest with it in a very angry, hissing, mood, but stationary. Second tag filled. Ten inch beard. Great day of hunting.

Last edited:
I'll be heading out (God willing) in two weeks for our IL turkey season. Got some nice Toms that moved into one of my deer hunting areas. :thumbsup:

Hopefully we'll be posting some pics up in a couple weeks. Good luck to you with those Kansas gobblers;)

I start chasing mine this weekend with stick and string. Hopefully all goes well and I will get a couple Sunday. I have been watching a couple nice groups rather religiously with some nice bird in it. I love spring turkey hunting! Hope to tag out before I have to start guiding for the regular season.

I'll have my bow & vid cam and the boy will have the 20ga going sunday morning. I wonder if the warm weather will help us?

my thinking it may since some of the hens will have been breed and sittin on nest by the time shotgun opens:thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents. I guess we will find out soon enough?

I'll have my bow & vid cam and the boy will have the 20ga going sunday morning. I wonder if the warm weather will help us?

my thinking it may since some of the hens will have been breed and sittin on nest by the time shotgun opens:thumbsup:

Just my 2 cents. I guess we will find out soon enough?

I am out with the bow as well. Miss those days with my son in the blind, at seeing his face when you hear the first gobble:)

I am out with the bow as well. Miss those days with my son in the blind, at seeing his face when you hear the first gobble:)

Yep this is the 2nd of my 3 boys who wants to kill one. The oldest wacked a gobbler on his first hunt with me:). I shot one too that afternoon:D So I will never forget it. I can;t get the pic to upload:confused:

April 30th in Maine for me... can't wait!

I'll be out with my daughter and her 20ga. I'm not hunting myself. Just calling for my daughter to shoot one.

Do you think these turkeys will still cooperate being that this warm weather is about a month ahead of schedule? What does everyone think? because ill be out opening day next week!

Do you think these turkeys will still cooperate being that this warm weather is about a month ahead of schedule? What does everyone think? because ill be out opening day next week!

Dang, I hope so. You think maybe the turkey spring fling is over?

It's Jellyhead time! I was out scouting last weekend and saw 15 plus Toms strutting and acting dumb over a 2 county area. I still think this will help us by getting some of the hens out of they way early so hopefully they will respond to calls and hopefully won't be hen'ed up. Will be out with the boy Sunday and will hunt the opener next week too:thumbsup: Hope to tag out by 9 and crappie fish the rest of the day:cheers:

A little south of you, but hens in SW Oklahoma have been sitting on nests for over 2 1/2 weeks. Makes for a great afternoon hunt when the Toms have been away from hens all day.

The old wise Toms will be tougher than usual to call in this year. Been seeing breeding flocks for a few weeks already, and there will probably be hens sitting by the time firearms start.

I really wanted to get out for the opener last Sunday, but I was busy with these things...

474538_10100488761679641_17024101_47484758_1018609178_o.jpg

I cannot believe these damn things were already hard on the bank March 31. The eggs in the females were already soft to boot! Cleaned 46 between a buddy and I over the weekend. They started letting water out of the lake Sunday, which really slowed things down.

Can't make it out this weekend due to Easter, but I'm taking next Friday off and headed out with the bow for the weekend. As far ahead of schedule the seasons are this Spring, it might come down to the boomstick with the super mags on Sunday though.

Jv team scoes thunder chicken!!!!!

Well the 2nd annual Easter morning hunt was a blast! a 20ga Blast that is!!!!!!

Collin and I went to my friends farm near Paola yesterday morning. We got there at 6am and set up between 2 timber's with a old bean field next to it. I got the boy tucked into a tree and I sat up next to him. We had 2 hen's and a jake decoy set up at 25 yards. It took all of a minute for him respond to my slate. He hit the ground running and 34 minute and a 1/4 mile later he was at 22 yards. The boy took him out with a 20ga #5 to his jellyhead:thumbsup:

HAPPY EASTER COLLIN:cheers:

Well the 2nd annual Easter morning hunt was a blast! a 20ga Blast that is!!!!!!

Collin and I went to my friends farm near Paola yesterday morning. We got there at 6am and set up between 2 timber's with a old bean field next to it. I got the boy tucked into a tree and I sat up next to him. We had 2 hen's and a jake decoy set up at 25 yards. It took all of a minute for him respond to my slate. He hit the ground running and 34 minute and a 1/4 mile later he was at 22 yards. The boy took him out with a 20ga #5 to his jellyhead:thumbsup:

HAPPY EASTER COLLIN:cheers:

Well done, Collin!

Thanks, he is hooked now....I hope I can do it again Wednesday morning for me. Will be up in Jefferson County hunting with a buddy.

Good Luck Britchaser!

Congradulation to Collin. Great to see a new one have success.:10sign:

Nice Turkey, good job!

Good lookin' feesh there too, Wildcat.

Hopefully I will have my own pictures of both to post before long!:thumbsup:

Back