turkey season

The timing of turkey and quail nesting is quite different. Turkey are several weeks earlier, then pheasant, then quail. There is about a 10 day difference in the peak of pheasant and quail. You noted you wished the "state" paid more attention to the listed problems. The "state" is very aware of what is going on, but it is happening on private ground and anything that might be done to address it has to be asked for by the owner/tenant. Many of the problems are causes by deliberate management or deliberate mis-management. Often, short-term profit is a goal. Unfortunately, some of the practices make long-term degradation. Overgrazing in this drought is a good example. Doing so for 1 year may take more than a decade to repair. The loss of hedge rows, grass stands, water ways may be a permanent lost!

sorry, what I meant was for the state to get more involved with the private corporate farmers. Something thats not going to happen,( to much money involved) maybe on the environmental side of things. Not to allow a repeat of farming practices that let up to the dust bowl years.

It is unfortunate that a lot of today's farming practices are a product of the chemical companies lobby efforts. From what I see, true farmers that use rotations, cultivation, cover crops, and all the time-tested methods of farming, are being lost to chemical applicators that grow crops. Herbicides need to be more of a last option, not first! In either case, someone else has the producer's ear!!!

Last night down at the farm I had 9 Jakes "talking" with me as one group.
Jakes are so much fun to get gobbling back at you.

They crack me up. I tested the smoke alarm in the garage a week ago and had turkeys down the road gobbling their heads off. :laugh: It's infuriating how dumb they are when it is not turkey season, but how they get smart right about the time turkey season starts.

they get smart real quick. Sometimes we try and call the jakes in just to see if we can piss an old tom off. one afternoon, several years ago, windy as hell, my son and I started to have a hen fight. Never heard a thing. I was looking at him, trying to get his attention, past him out ran 13 jakes. We had all of them within 20 yards, I did a fight purr, and the battle royal was on. it was all we could do not to laugh out loud. Guess we should of tagged a couple, but it was still early in the season.

The flock at the farm I hunt is way down... moved a bunch of hens though, and a group of three males I'd barely call Toms. Another Tom moved off to the East and didn't go with the flock. He looked a little bigger.

I don't think habitat is the issue where I hunt. I've been coming across some awfully big cat tracks down there over the past two years. A friend of mine sent me a picture of a downed mountain lion last year, taken just a half hour away in Garnett. I'm afraid we have one too. Will be turkey hunting Sunday a.m. then shroom hunting the afternoon with an AR on my back. Sent an email to the KDWP, but of course no response. Bet they show up if I call and say I shot me a mountain lion.

There are still a few around here. One less now. Shot with my crossbow this afternoon. Two beards, 9.5" and 4.25", 1 1/8" spurs 22.25 lbs.

IMG_0836.jpg

IMG_0838.jpg

Going to put pontoons on my boots and try hunting in the rain Thursday. Hopefully there is a break in the clouds.

My nephew shot his first turkey this weekend. Actually it was the first time he'd ever been hunting for turkeys, as well as my brother in law. On Friday he was asking me how you do it. They went and bought a call and a decoy Friday, on Saturday they had two toms gobbling and strutting into their decoy about 10am. I told them they were ruined for life now, thinking that it always will go that easy.

A buddies daughters got their toms this weekend to over here in Missouri. Some say you have to use a 10 guage or 3 1/2" shells. These lightweights think a .410 does the job just fine.

Cheesy, those kid pics are worth a gozillion bucks! I'm partial to sweetpeas in camo! Gotta love that! That's worth more than me killing 100 turkeys!

job well done. Cheesy your right that was beginners luck. Or two horny toms that where without dates.
where at in Kansas are you going? We are going tomorrow am, then shroom hunting. If you don't fill your Kansas tag, maybe we can meet up, might be able to find a tom or two.
they are pretty scarce. at least where I hunt
good luck

:cheers:

job well done. Cheesy your right that was beginners luck. Or two horny toms that where without dates.
where at in Kansas are you going? We are going tomorrow am, then shroom hunting. If you don't fill your Kansas tag, maybe we can meet up, might be able to find a tom or two.
they are pretty scarce. at least where I hunt
good luck

I'll be over around Neodesha/Independence in the morning for a day hunt. Forecast isn't too favorable. Our honey hole is a river bottom field, I'm sure the rubber boots will have 50# of mud on each one trying to get over to where they usually fly down at.

Of course the wife scheduled a trip to Branson on opening weekend, which is why I'm hunting tomorrow. Dad's been getting some hens on his trail cams, and seeing some in a couple of spots, but not getting many tom's on a consistent basis. I'm sure they're around somewhere.

I'm open for meeting up, but it will probably be in May before schedule allows it. You can get them all located and tied to a tree in the mean time.

not a nice morning today either saw a couple, but they where gay.
morels are really popping, so will concentrate on them while it lasts. Good Luck tomorrow.

Back