turkey season

Very Nice Bird. Didi you guys see the bird shot up in North Kansas? 37 lbs.!!!
Then the young man in Missouri, who shot his very first tom, had 13 beards, big spurs, 3rd highest score in Missouri history, 9th largest in the USA. That kid is ruined for life.!!

Didn't see either of those.

We hunted this morning trying to get dad in on one. Gobbled like crazy in roost, saw them fly down. A few yelps and purrs later 2 hens followed by 3 jakes, followed by a long beard are headed our way. Some strutting. Some gobbling. Locked in, committed, all but over.

Then the hens get to the decoys and don't like something. Not sure if it was the decoys themselves, or they saw dad shift his shotgun or what. They start putting and taje off. He passed on the jakes and the gobbler was just getting in range before he peeled off and followed the hens.

Better luck in the coming weekends I guess.

Here is the turkey that I shot yesterday. Decent 2 year old. It took almost 2 hours to get him in range. He had an older hen with him, and she finally got mad and came over, with him in tow.

The bird has some really cool colors. A real copper color to him.

That is him on the ground behind the decoy. Wind was standing his tail fan up
20150425_1816251.jpg

20150425_1821041.jpg

20150425_1822311.jpg

See how much of a copper color he had.
20150425_1856071.jpg

How'd you take a picture when he was so close like that? I still think of myself as being a Novice and scared everything I do will push them away. Great pics.

Did you have a visual on him for the full two hours? If I can't see them I get impatient and think they've left. Trying to break myself of that.

How'd you take a picture when he was so close like that? I still think of myself as being a Novice and scared everything I do will push them away. Great pics.

Did you have a visual on him for the full two hours? If I can't see them I get impatient and think they've left. Trying to break myself of that.

I think the turkey in that picture is dead, that might be why he was able to get the picture with him that close.;)

Friday morning hunt was a blast. No bird but could clearly hear 6-8 different toms and they were nonstop gobbling, especially with the storms in the area and little little thunder. Love that shock-gobble.

This guy came in Saturday evening without making a sound. Caught me a little off guard and spotted me as I was raising my gun. Took him as he turned and started running at about 30 yards.

22 lb 2 oz, 11.25" beard, 1.5" spurs each
68273AAA-5B4A-4DBF-966E-0EF31E8CC83B_zpsopdfxiga.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I think the turkey in that picture is dead, that might be why he was able to get the picture with him that close.;)

I'm blaming it on the phone I was reading from. On my computer monitor I can clearly see the body laid down in front. Originally thought it was the fan as the tom was facing away. I should go delete that comment before everybody thinks I'm an idiot. :)

Chessy, it took me 2 looks on the computer to get it. It's a neat shot. Easy for you mind to want it to be strutting! cp, nice bird! Congrats!!!

There are still a few around here. One less now. Shot with my crossbow this afternoon. Two beards, 9.5" and 4.25", 1 1/8" spurs 22.25 lbs.

Great neck shot! Quite a bird too.

My first spring tom taken Saturday: Two beards totaling 10.5 inches, 5/8" spurs, about 20 pounds, and very tasty. Unable to upload photo.

Last edited:
Youths Score!

Michael Pearce, outdoor writer for the Wichita Eagle, contacted me last week saying he wanted to take 2 kids out on Saturday morning to a place he had access to near El Dorado.

One of the kids is matched to a couple, Ben and Andrea. Michael hunted in the blind with them that morning. Laquante had a shot at a big tom but missed. Then he had a shot at a jake, and just as he pulled the trigger, another jake stepped in the way...2 birds down! Andrea had taken the hunter education class with Laquante and was in the blind with him and Ben and Michael. When the 2-year olds came in to hammer the downed jakes, she got her first shot at a turkey...and just like Laquante, just as she pulled the trigger another bird stepped in the way. 4 birds down before 7am!!

Anthony is matched to Frank. Jake, the young man Michael has been mentoring for the last year and a half, was their guide. Shortly after hearing all of the shooting from Laquante and Andrea, they had a nice bird coming to their set up. Anthony put the hammer down and had a double-bearded tom!

20894_10153129264614792_294318058573546429_n.jpg

I hope everyone here has plans to take a youngster turkey hunting this spring!

Mike Christensen
Pass It On - Outdoor Mentors, Inc.

Back