Truth to Rumor

Yes and it is beneficial but living in Wyoming, being the least populated state in the nation our service, whether cell phone or computor link up is not what others enjoy. With our weather, communication can be in jeapordy at any time and repair of it is not always instantaneous. Snow with our wind is a life threatening for all. Never the less when it works it is great, truly maybe a little gift from heaven. I also realize technology is improving but some of us are not as saavy as others. My point on changing dates is sometimes the ability, but more importantly the concern for whatever changed our plans to go hunting took precident and we didn't get the job done. Granted our responsiblity but in the heat of the moment there are often times bigger priorities. With a season long license I'm not asking for anything special other than I'm willing and I think others would as well like to have a little more freedom on the dates and we are willing to pay a reasonable fee for that freedom. I am not suggesting that you have the shorter license as it stands now be terminated but just anouther option on the table.

I agree with this dissertation...

Gasoline, shells, motels and "fees to hunt" are going to drive how many times one hunts vs license day's. This sport is getting very expensive!! At least for me...

Ditto, the license fee is one of the cheapest aspects of the hunting trip. I am never ceased to be amazed at the excuses I hear from NR's about the price of the NR license, but yet, these same guys shoot $1,000+ shotguns, spend $1,000+ on their dogs and dog training/accessories, hundreds of dollars on clothing, gas, food, and motels, but that damn expensive NR license....if you truely are interested in helping an economy, stay home and spend your dollars in your own state, I am sure your own hotels, gas stations, resturants appreciate your business too....and think of the tax money that is now staying home...more money for your habitat projects or maybe you would have better internet access like the rest of us....:cheers:

Last edited:
I can certainly see where you guys are coming from as a non resident myself, but to think that they are going to implement a season long licence for $110, or even $250, wont make the state any more revenue. I may look at this from the opposite side as you, but I see the NR license fee as one the least expensive component of small game hunting in South Dakota. Think about it. $11.00 per day for the right to hunt. $110/10.

If they implemented a season long NR license it would cost you about $1.38 per day.

Even at $250, it only amount to $3.12 per day. The cost to drive about 9 miles in your truck.

I understand that youre not going to hunt all 80 days of the 2012 season.. but... realistically, how many are you going to hunt? If you hunt 40 days, then the $250 license costs you $6.24 per day to hunt. If you hunt 10, 2 day weekends (20 days), then the license costs you $12.48 per day, actually more per day than the current system in place. I understand also, that with the current system in place, you couldnt hunt 10 weekends.

The more fragmented your hunting dates are, the less likely there will be to support the motels, restraunts and bars. In fact, I can almost guarantee that a season long NR license would be very attractive to states that border SD, and they would drive in prior to the season starting in the morning, hunt for the day and head home, and not spend a dime in the state while they were there.. T

The system in place works exactly like it is supposed to. Its not perfect. Like I said earlier, I would rather see a 9 day license, with the option of choosing 3 periods.

They know that the bulk of the average guys cannot spend 5 days at a whack out there, and days get wasted.

Its the nature of the beast right now, and I dont really see it changing anytime soon. As a NR, theres nothing we can do about it, but to pick up stakes and become a resident, or buy a license every ten days..

If they were to implement a season long NR license, I would be willing to bet that it would be $500+. and still get the ire of the residents.

SD is holding the trump card right now, when it comes to pheasants. They better enjoy it while it lasts.

The times they are a changin!

i prefer the current system because i have the vacation from work. reddog you are correct with acess to a season long lis it would be like here in iowa. day trips to the hot spots and no real money spent in the local areas. with fuel prices the way they are getting there and back is the most expensive part of the trip. the two 5 day hunts works best for me so i hope nothing changes but like all of you i'll do whatever i have to. :cheers:

One way for me is 330 miles by the time I drive around and back for three days it is almost 900 miles. I don't fall into the quick trip hitting the honey hole and leaving nothing to the local economy.

Reddog your explanation of the economics is theatrical at best. Though unfortunately, you may be right that probably there will be no changes from the current system to allow a little more freedom and I will continue to live with the licensing system as it stands.

We all have our ideas, I'm not the one writting the laws and won't be, so you really have NO WORRIES of me taking any thing from you. Best of luck in your hunting.

What you dont seem to get Bob, is that basically I dont disagree with you on your want for a season long license... only on what you seem to think it is worth and I think it should be worth.

What part of my explanation is theatrical? The hunting license being cheap as it is, or the part about the fragmented dates?

330 to the SD border, or 330 to your prime hunting area?

Its 286 miles to where I hunt also, so that wouldnt work for me either....IF I wanted to go to the good areas. 90 miles to the border, so I could see myself day tripping alot to get away from work. and do a little hunting/training with the dogs even if it wasnt in the bird belt.

For the last ten years, I have appreciated every day I have been able to spend in SD, whether fishing, hunting or even shopping with the wife. It truly is Gods country when it comes to sporting opportunities.

And what if you want to go a couple of day's on the 14th? And again the end of December - multiple licenses vs a season license.

The current licensing allows you to go a couple days on the 14th and again the end of Dec. It even allows you to go on two separate years if you schedule your license buys accordingly.(which I think is very generous of them) It doesnt work for me very often, but Im sure alot of guys that only get one trip per year utilize it.

Obviously, it would easily work with a seasonal license.

Ive taken two day trips before. several of them..

Ive also had 4 day trips scheduled, and gotten them in, and also been weathered out of the state on a couple scheduled 4 day stints..

For the record, Ive never been able to utilize all 5 days of a license, but it doesnt stop me from going.

I also hunt coyotes in the state... alot, so the fact that they give me a free predator license with my small game, is generous of them also. And yes, I would...and did buy the $30 predator license for many years before I started hunting small game in the state. My only regret, is that I wish I would have started small game hunting 25 years ago, instead of ten.:(

oBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT STOKES FOR ALL, BUT THE SEASON LONG FOR $110 AINT GONNA HAPPEN AS WE WOULD BE INVADED BY mINNESOTA.

oBVIOUSLY DIFFERENT STOKES FOR ALL, BUT THE SEASON LONG FOR $110 AINT GONNA HAPPEN AS WE WOULD BE INVADED BY mINNESOTA.

Hey Buck! Your "caps Lock" is stuck!! :)

I agree that you will not see a season long license for $110. In fact I doubt you will ever see a season long license in SD for any price. Look at ND, they use to issue a season long license but when hunters started to frequent their state more they went to a similar license as SD. There probably isn't a license plan that would please everyone and the current one seems to be working just fine. So why would they change it?

I agree with this dissertation...

Gasoline, shells, motels and "fees to hunt" are going to drive how many times one hunts vs license day's. This sport is getting very expensive!! At least for me...

I agree 100%. I don't remember what I paid last year, but I only made one 5 day trip. I am retired from the army and going to school to teach science, and did not have time to get back up to use the second period. We hunted, my brother from Spokane, and I, public land so we did not have a trespass or pay-to-hunt fee. Our expenses consisted of gas (from Kansas for me, and Washington for my brother), a hotel for 4 days, $400 in gas in SD moving from area to area, and food. Between my brother and me, I am sure that we spent $3000 in SD in a 5 day period. Between the hotel and eating out costs add up fast. I saw shotgun shells for sell at a gas station for less then I normally paid, and bought 5 boxes. It was mutually beneficial, the station made a little money, and I saved on shells.

My only complaint is that had I had the time to go back up, I would only have had the option of another 5 day period. I would like to be able to have the 10 days, currently available as two 5 day periods, broken up into smaller chunks, but it it does not happen, I will be fine with the 2 five day periods.

If the state decided to offer a season long non-resident license it would be expensive (rightly so) and I don't think I would buy it. I have a 12 hour drive, one way, to get there, and if I could still get the 10 day license for $110 I would just do that. After I graduate, I can see myself doing 3 or 4 trips and $220 would be OK.

Sorry so long, Mid-terms over and have been imbibing a little.

Hey Buck! Your "caps Lock" is stuck!! :)

I agree that you will not see a season long license for $110. In fact I doubt you will ever see a season long license in SD for any price. Look at ND, they use to issue a season long license but when hunters started to frequent their state more they went to a similar license as SD. There probably isn't a license plan that would please everyone and the current one seems to be working just fine. So why would they change it?
Bingo! ND changed their license to a 14 license because they were being literally overrun by NR hunters from all across the US. Just ask yourself, would I want that in my state where I hunt? I doubt it.

Everything is getting more expensive--why should hunting be exempt?
Just the way it is.

Bingo! ND changed their license to a 14 license because they were being literally overrun by NR hunters from all across the US. Just ask yourself, would I want that in my state where I hunt? I doubt it.

sure sounds like Kansas to me, bellybutton to A-hole with NR's during the first 3 weeks...maybe they should stop selling those cheap $75 season licenses.

I buy three licenses a year, have for over 20 years. When people find out I spend that much on licenses, they ask me, " doesn't that piss you off"? My answer has never wavered, "No, it's the best problem I have." I don't really care what they do as long as they keep selling me licenses. Five 2 day will bring lots of weekenders.

I buy 3-4 licenses per year...I look at it like this: a day of hunting in SD is about $11 for the license....I don't golf, or bowl, or shoot pool, or eat at fancy restaurants, or gamble....I think I am getting an OK deal...yes, there's gas, lodging, food...but you have those items with any vacation--maybe not as much gas, but maybe you do, depending....I do go to alot of concerts...small, medium, sometimes large...lots of $ for 2 hours of fun! Again, my bird hunting isn't cheap (except my local grouse hunting), but it is what I do. Yes, I know, the $11 doesn't get me on private land...it just allows me to show up and then I have to deal with that decision.

Back