Truth to Rumor

rubberduck

Was talking to a person the other day that I think knows what he's talking about, wanted to know if anyone had heard this before or could find some article about it. This person told me that south dakota was throwing around the idea of a 5 - 2day license instead of 2 - 5 day.

Has anyone heard of this?

How great would that be!:cheers:

That would be a wonderful idea. Would save me lots of money. Throw out 2-3 days each time I buy a license.

I do not see how it would be bad for anyone else. If you want to hunt more put your dates back to back.

That would get me back out there again. I have land I can hunt. Good friends and shirt tail rellys. I just can't devote the time for 2 5 day periods. I think they could offer both. The same reason I stopped hunting ND. I just can't see spending that doe, and missing work, when I can get birds right here. We always enjoyed heading to the river, and hunting a Buddy's 1,500 acres. Great fun and super people out there. I kind of miss it. But to be able to head out Fri night, and be back again Sun afternoon, would be great. :thumbsup:

Are they talking both or just one or the other? Both would make the most sense.

Not only would this be good for hunters, but think about the local bars, gas stations, and hotels/motels. This seems like a no brainer. But if it is actually something they are discussing it will take years to get enough approval. I don't see it in the near future, but maybe someday.

Right now I typically buy 2-3 license a year depending on if I bought one the previous year after Dec.15. I only go on the weekends and over thanksgiving. I could probably go the whole year on one license. I could spend money at the restaurant instead of making it myself on the tailgate. I could get a motel instead of camping, and most important I could have more than a couple drinks at the local watering hole.

The problem I see is Government is greedy and they would rather have my money than have me give it to private business.

Don't get me started on No Dak.

could you still hunt 5 days in a row? if not driveing 1100 miles round trip just to hunt 2 days really wouldn't really be worth it to me.

Last edited:
I would like to see the 5 2-day blocks. I bought a license last season for a 4 day trip. What I would really like to see is a way where you did not have to pick all of the dates when you bought the license. If I had had the leeway I would have probably made another trip up there.

Thrasher,

You can change the dates whenever you want as long as the date has not passed. I always put in the last 5 days of the year on my second five days and then change it when I know the dates that I'll be making my second trip. It is very easy to do over the internet. Takes 2 minutes.

They need to also offer a full season license for $250.00. That would reduce a bunch of hassles. Traveling safely due to weather to S.D. in the winter can change in just hours from a go to a no go. Fiddling around having to change dates sometimes is just not possible as you can't always access a computer.

Crap, I guess I should have read the page a little closer. Oh well, I didn't really have time for a second trip anyway. I will keep that in mind if I go back next season.

They need to also offer a full season license for $250.00. That would reduce a bunch of hassles. Traveling safely due to weather to S.D. in the winter can change in just hours from a go to a no go. Fiddling around having to change dates sometimes is just not possible as you can't always access a computer.

You can change the dates at any location in the state that sells licenses. You don't need to do it online.

Back to original question. I have not heard anything about a change in the how your hunting days are allocated. But I don't think it would be a bad idea if the GFP would allow you more flexibility in how you want to schedule your 10 days. I doubt you will ever see a full season license even at double the price. The vast majority of non-resident hunters that come to SD probably only hunt 1 5 day block anyway.

So they wouldn't be out that much ,if any. They probably could be money ahead if they would sell me and a few others a full season license at $250.00.

I Googled the SD Legislature and found Senate Bill 88.

This is called a "flex program" for non-resident hunters.Apparently limited to 2500 licenses; only one license per hunting season; fees yet to be established.

I assume one could call the authors of this bill (88) and find out more information...there are seven representatives that introduced this bill.

I personally would spread my hunting dates to three per trip and be able to take 3-4 trips vs two trips that I typically take. Obviously this plan wouldn't work for the hunter that travels a great distance to hunt SD.

No special session is required. They push "waste of time and tax payer money bills" all the time to the 41st day. This bill will not pass in 2012.

The season long license would primarily be attractive to parties in the States
bordering SD or the affluent hunter who flies in a lot. Aproblem seen by residents is the prospect that a large number of hunters east of the SD boder would begin buying or leasing an excessive amount of land and thereby excluing it's use bu the locals. This happened with waterfowl and there is a lot of ground owned by non-residents at this time.
Now before anybody goes of on me or the issue, I really do not have a dog in the fight (at least not a big one), as I have a lot of non-resident friends who invite me to hunt. I also help out some non-residents who do not have ground or private access.

Would love it if they offered a season long license!! I would make that trip every weekend, grab a couple good hunting buddies hit the road for a weekend and still take my 2-3 five day trips out there!

Back