The best/worse dog hunting breed??

Dogs

I have not hunted with a good lab for pheasants. I have hunted with Setters, Pointers, GSPs, Vizla, and Brits.
Been hunting Roosters for "several" decades. So far the GSPs have been the best due to their natural tracking ability. That being said I had a Brittany that was really good too.
But everybody has their opinion just like everybody has a xxxxxxxxxxxx. lol

I second what has been said already by IA Hunter, it takes birds to make a bird dog regardless of the breed. And I will continue to stand by George Bird Evans idea that there are no outstanding breeds only outstanding individuals. It is possible to have a dynamite dog and a dud from the same litter.

breeds some more

in specific instances there are in fact some breeds that are a far higher percentage dog than others, what most of us desire is an all around type and most breeds will get you there. palooka's come in all colors and types. if the dog has at least high average abilities it is you the owner/handlers that is the problem if there is one and not the dog, buying a puppy of any type is a pig in the poke especially if you want performance out of it, less so as a pleasing hunting companion. in most cases look no further than one's self. this applies to britts and setters also

cheers

in specific instances there are in fact some breeds that are a far higher percentage dog than others, what most of us desire is an all around type and most breeds will get you there. palooka's come in all colors and types. if the dog has at least high average abilities it is you the owner/handlers that is the problem if there is one and not the dog, buying a puppy of any type is a pig in the poke especially if you want performance out of it, less so as a pleasing hunting companion. in most cases look no further than one's self. this applies to britts and setters also

cheers
nothing truer, when the dog is lacking its almost always due to the lack of the handler's work ethic.
we're told we should always chose a pup from strong hunting stock,if that's true(and it is) then the pup should come from a reputable breeder that partipates in various hunt tests,navhda,etc.
I know that may offend some because their dog came from amateur breeder and that handler would likely fist fight as to how his pup's as good the more high tone choice
its not the amateur breeders i'm criticizing , its all the pups that end up in rescue. it seems a well placed puppy will at least end up in a good home for life.google "american brittany rescue" or gsp rescue and look at the pitchers

Hmmm......The best hunting dog......The one we currently hunt behind today.

I believe it is safe to say that 90 % of us would not hunt if we did not have a dog to hunt behind. I was even a little reluctent to hunt behind friends dogs when mine was unable to hunt this fall. So the best hunting dog is the one that makes us get out there and let them do what they love and are bred to do.

I have to say I second "Pointshot" there are a lot of fine rescue hunting dogs out there. My last 2 dogs a 6 year old Irish Setter, (when I got him) was my best bud and hunted hard. My current is a 5.5 year old English Setter I have had for less than a year and she is a sweet machine. Great house dog, has won field trials with me and is always hunting the yard waiting for me to take to real birds.

So for me it is looks and I pesonnally like a long coat dog, even though it is a pain to keep, clean, burr free etc..... But I could get used to a short haired dog, Hmmmm I guess I wish I had the time and place to have that "Motley Crew" to steal a phrase.

mutt

after he thawed out, what kinda dog is or was he. maybe a griffon? anyway long time ago i had a black lab come out of the water on a duck retrieve and as soon as he hit the air, he crystalized . that was some cold but he looked at me and said, shoot me another one please. never had my bird dog frost up like that though

The poor dog was on point in the next county and uncle buck just couldn't get to him fast enough and he froze solid.:D

poor mutt

liked that one, something i would have said but i have told to be nice, you don't know how hard that is. i also have that cz in a 410, fun gun. another guy in i think the n. dakota post asked about them, gave them the real skinny, ya know that. don't know what kinda dog it was but i have been around quite a few wirehairs and tell them from griffons

UB breeds puddel pointers.

What are pudel pointers? Are they a cross breed? Need to go global with the pups looking over the tailgate.

I'm on my first bird dog right now and chose a Brittany. I hunt some really thick and nasty cover for woodcock and grouse so the size seemed to make sense to me. Years ago we used to run beagles and those little guys moved through cover as fast as a rabbit so I didn't see the point in having a long legged dog. My pup came from very good field trial lines so when the cover opens up he runs like a jackrabbit on steroids. As for kenneling him, yeah right. This darn dog worships the ground I walk on and is never more than 5 ft from me if I am not at work ( except of course when out in the field hunting or training). Wife wanted nothing to do with getting a dog now she takes him to bed with her. I have never seen an animal so attached to humans, almost strange actually. Little bugger is everything I want in a dog can't see me getting another breed.

217%20%282%29_zpsc71a767c.jpg

IMG_3112_0909_edited-1-2.jpg

http://www.perfectpedigrees.com/3genview.php?id=3772

Last edited:
Back