The best/worse dog hunting breed??

Yep, fear is not in their vocabulary. I love Jacks and will always have at least one around. They don't leave much work for a barn cat though.

Pudelpointer-101

The Pudelpointer originated in Germany in the 1870s approx. German hunting Pudels were breed to English pointers for the purpose of obtaining a versitile dog that would have the pointing style and prey drive of the pointer and the brains, retrieving and water abilities of the Pudel. By the way all you smart asses, Pudel does mean "puddle" or waterdog.
The Pointer was reintroduced back into the original crosses 8 times before the breeders were satisfied that they had enough pointer in them most still looked like pudels, the pudel genes being that strong. The Pudelpointer is probably the first versitile bred dog, preceding the Wirehair which actually had a lot of Pudelpointer ancestors. The Pudelpointer was much more biddible(trainable, cooperative, loyal, eager to please) than any of it's predecessors. It is tough, durable makes a great family pet, and the males dont' have issues with other males.
Bodo Winterhelle introduced the Pudelpointer to North America, Ontario Canada first in the mid Fifties. He now lives in Oregon, must be 90 years old.
Some of you may recognize him as the founder of NAVHDA.I beleive my first interest in the breed was the Duffy article in Outdoor Life, about 1986. I stumbled upon my first PP in 1987 and have owned up to six at a time since then.
These dogs love the water and to retrieve. They also track wounded game, my son finding a 6pt bull elk in Idaho the day after his client put an arrow in a little too far back. Went about a half mile. Afew years ago there was apost about a Pudelpointer helping some guy's blood trail a wounded deer in Wisconsin. I looked into it a little bit and discovered as expected that the owner was Ted Engebretton from Green Bay, a college classmate of my sons
who has three of our dogs.
Despite the PP 's affection for humans and other dogs, they get a bit sharp with the coon and skunk types, and cats too if you dont' bring them up with
The felines. Some will get Coon hound paraylasis tangling with little ursus and while not generally fatal, it's not fun deal.

thanks, uncle buck! so when you say pudel is that just a different(german) spelling of poodle,and that's not a crack.standard poodles look like american water spaniels,irish water spaniels,curly coat retrievers and boykins when they're not sporting that hair do,and the hair do originated to protect the dog during cold water work.

so was the german pudel the french poodle that still had a hunting back ground?

The Pudelpointer originated in Germany in the 1870s approx. German hunting Pudels were breed to English pointers for the purpose of obtaining a versitile dog that would have the pointing style and prey drive of the pointer and the brains, retrieving and water abilities of the Pudel. By the way all you smart asses, Pudel does mean "puddle" or waterdog.
The Pointer was reintroduced back into the original crosses 8 times before the breeders were satisfied that they had enough pointer in them most still looked like pudels, the pudel genes being that strong. The Pudelpointer is probably the first versitile bred dog, preceding the Wirehair which actually had a lot of Pudelpointer ancestors. The Pudelpointer was much more biddible(trainable, cooperative, loyal, eager to please) than any of it's predecessors. It is tough, durable makes a great family pet, and the males dont' have issues with other males.
Bodo Winterhelle introduced the Pudelpointer to North America, Ontario Canada first in the mid Fifties. He now lives in Oregon, must be 90 years old.
Some of you may recognize him as the founder of NAVHDA.I beleive my first interest in the breed was the Duffy article in Outdoor Life, about 1986. I stumbled upon my first PP in 1987 and have owned up to six at a time since then.
These dogs love the water and to retrieve. They also track wounded game, my son finding a 6pt bull elk in Idaho the day after his client put an arrow in a little too far back. Went about a half mile. Afew years ago there was apost about a Pudelpointer helping some guy's blood trail a wounded deer in Wisconsin. I looked into it a little bit and discovered as expected that the owner was Ted Engebretton from Green Bay, a college classmate of my sons
who has three of our dogs.
Despite the PP 's affection for humans and other dogs, they get a bit sharp with the coon and skunk types, and cats too if you dont' bring them up with
The felines. Some will get Coon hound paraylasis tangling with little ursus and while not generally fatal, it's not fun deal.

Interesting, I never heard of such a thing. Course I'm not the brightest turnip that ever fell off the wagon. Sounds like you enoy your dogs. I look forward to the further adventures of Uncle Bucks Purdelpointers:cheers:

fuzzy dogs

thanks, glad you did that, would have loved one but due to age, won't, gonna have trouble hunting as long as my current mutts as it is. duffy talked a lot about them

cheers

You know, if there really was a best breed for all, it would not be long before it was the only breed.

The best breed for all does not exist.

I had to put-down my little 9-pound Jack Russell unexpectedly last October, but while that little girl was around, squirrels and rodents around my place were not a problem. Wonderful little dogs! And Sadie was the one who deflated the ball . . .
100_0380.jpg

You know, if there really was a best breed for all, it would not be long before it was the only breed.

The best breed for all does not exist.

Good point. Kind of like Irish setters, They were great dogs until the breeders breed the brains out of them for show dogs. Not saying anything bad about Irish setters, but thats what happened. Could happen to other breeds. Inbreed them enough and It happens.

thanks, uncle buck! so when you say pudel is that just a different(german) spelling of poodle,and that's not a crack.standard poodles look like american water spaniels,irish water spaniels,curly coat retrievers and boykins when they're not sporting that hair do,and the hair do originated to protect the dog during cold water work.

so was the german pudel the french poodle that still had a hunting back ground?
The German Wasserpudel and standard French were probably closely related at some point. Before they went to show dogs the Standard Poodle was a water retriever. They generally still like the water and some hunt.
The German pudels used for the Pudelpointer were liver or black. There are a few blacks in the US and Canada, but the North American Pudelpointer (breeders) Alliance has no intention of breeding for color. The dogs are registered with NAVHDA and or American Field. We do not want to get involved with AKC re registration.

thanks again,are you a breeder of pudel pointers and does your kennel have a name or can you recommend one.

you can pm me if you want if you dont want to put it out on the public forum.

if your amenable to that.thanks

thanks again,are you a breeder of pudel pointers and does your kennel have a name or can you recommend one.

you can pm me if you want if you dont want to put it out on the public forum.

if your amenable to that.thanks

No problem Prairie Trout Kennels and Czechmate Kennels. I do not have a website but can be found in gundogbreeders.com and the NAPPA site of breeders. Pups are in very short supply as there has been considerable interest in the breed the last 3 years. I will have a litter on the ground Feb. 1and I could sell them all twice with the list I have.
Having said that, I don't sell puppies, I place them with serious hunters and preferably family types.
I don't mind talking to interested parties and sometimes enough people drop off my list before the pups are ready to go and some people are removed by me! My son raises them in Idaho also. He will be breeding as soon as his female goes into heat. There is one party on this site who already has a PP, and he will get one out of the 2/1/ litter or my son's next if he wants one.
A good place to see the breed is at Cedarwood Gundogs site. Prairie Trout's Calendergirl and DeJevu can be seen there. Calendergirl aka Zoey is retired and DeJevu will be soon I suspect, but they have been breed foundation dams that we were proud to produce. Czechmate's Boise Brown aka Sky is on there also. Don't ask Bob at Cedarwood to put you on his list as his is very full. He sends me buyers frequently.

I had to put-down my little 9-pound Jack Russell unexpectedly last October, but while that little girl was around, squirrels and rodents around my place were not a problem. Wonderful little dogs! And Sadie was the one who deflated the ball . . .
100_0380.jpg

Beautiful dog Koja, very sorry for your loss. One thing is certain when you have a jack, even if it only weighs 9lbs there is no question as to pecking order, the jack is ALWAYS top dog.:cheers:

Here's a picture of my little girl. She's 8 now but still quite the little hell raiser.:D

1c87eae7.jpg

Back