Preserve hunt choke advice--need help

Va hunter

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to pheasant hunting. Will be going on my first hunt in Oct and need some help in picking the right choke for my O/U 12ga. Have 2 questions:

1) Since the preserve will be mixed with pheasant, quail and chukar have decided on #6 1 1/4 but need to know what is best for pheasant? Am planning Mod over IC but have read that Improved Mod over light Mod is better. My guide says shots will be 25-40 yards. Do I need the light or improved Mod?

2) There are so many aftermarket chokes to pick from do you have an opinion on the best? Are the extended tubes worth the extra money?

Thank you for your feedback,

Some of the guys around may have a better idea of what aftermarket choke to purchase depending on the make/model of your boomstick. Just a question though, do you not have OEM (original) chokes?

I.C. and Mod. are all you need.

Those were my thoughts. I wouldn't spend the extra money on aftermarket chokes if you already have them. At least I've never seen the need unless turkey or perhaps waterfowl hunting.

By the way, welcome to UPH. :cheers:

IC and Mod is the way to go, I use this combo all year on wild birds in SD with no problems.:)

I agree for a preserve hunt...IC and Mod; my Mod never leaves the gun. For TX Panhandle pheasant it's IM and Mod; I just switch the barrel selector and shoot em' up.

Another vote for IC/Mod. You certainly don't need anything more restrictive. And any decent shell with 1 1/4 oz of #6 and a velocity of 1,330 fps will do just fine. You don't need expensive, premium, high velocity loads. I shoot IC/Mod in my 16 ga. all season long out here in South Dakota and have no problem harvesting pheasants and sharptails.

Thank you for the feedback that settles the choke question--will still explore if extended choke tubes improve patterns. If anyone has any experience with extended tubes would love to hear it!!

Thanks,

Thank you for the feedback that settles the choke question--will still explore if extended choke tubes improve patterns. If anyone has any experience with extended tubes would love to hear it!!

Thanks,

Extended chokes make it easier to change them out and or identify which choke you have in the gun. Long chokes, especially if they are of conical design with a parallel section the last ¾" of the choke do tend to improve the overall pattern. Generally what you encounter is a more even or symmetrical pattern with less holes and a more usable overall pattern. But.... each gun/load/choke combination may be different, so some time at the patterning board is the only sure way to know.

Hello, I am new to the forum and new to pheasant hunting. Will be going on my first hunt in Oct and need some help in picking the right choke for my O/U 12ga. Have 2 questions:

1) Since the preserve will be mixed with pheasant, quail and chukar have decided on #6 1 1/4 but need to know what is best for pheasant? Am planning Mod over IC but have read that Improved Mod over light Mod is better. My guide says shots will be 25-40 yards. Do I need the light or improved Mod?

2) There are so many aftermarket chokes to pick from do you have an opinion on the best? Are the extended tubes worth the extra money?

Thank you for your feedback,

You could even go with skeet and IC on reserve pheasants. If it's not windy, I shoot wild pheasants on opening weekend with skeet and IC. I have read that modern shotshells pattern tighter than in the days of yore. Have a great hunt.

The best answer is to pattern the gun with the shotshell loads you will be using. This will give you the right visual answer as to how the gun shoots and will give you the answer about what choke set to use. Now if ya want to stimulate the economy, go purchase some fancy, exspensive, ugly extended choke tubes.:D

Open Chokes

I would use Skeet and Imp. Cyl. in a double. Also, don't use Prairie Storm or Black Cloud ammo. It shoots way to tight for those birds.

Lock and Load! :D

Back