NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

I don't know how much we have gotten here so far, but its been slow and steady since about 1pm. We have not had any real rain since last fall.

We needed this bad.

The Ponderosa had 2.25" from Saturday, until noon today. About half of what most of the area got. Light rain started at noon today.

That should make a huge difference!! At least for the next few weeks!! Any standing water or did she soak it all up?:thumbsup::thumbsup:

None standing at the Ponderosa, but areas that had about twice the amount has some water in the fields and ditches. One WRP and adjacent playa that had been dry is now full.

None standing at the Ponderosa, but areas that had about twice the amount has some water in the fields and ditches. One WRP and adjacent playa that had been dry is now full.

Have you seen many LPC yet?

Actually haven't seen any lesser prairie chicken yet, but my schedule has been such that I am not at the right place at the right time. Seeing a lot of roosters chasing pheasant hens. Some struting Toms. Buds forming on the bucks right now.

Dumped another 0.20" from gauge.

Have another rain shower passing through at the moment.

Only 0.05" in rain last night, but all is welcome.

Unfortunately Murry Dog took a rattlesnake strike in the brisket today. He is a hurting dog tonight.

IMG_7769-001_zps0effkwre.jpg

Last edited:
He prefers standing over laying down. The vet said he was on his feet all afternoon while at the hospital. I had a meeting tonight and when I got home he was laying down, but got up now after he had peed on the floor and now won't lay down again. Might be a long night for him.

IMG_7773_zpsupyycpy5.jpg

He has in the past, although last year did not and was getting ready to take him in for this year's shots. I think the protection is only good for about six months so don't think the previous Red Rock will help him with this bite.

Dang Maynard,

Hope your pup feels better. Doesn't make me feel better since I am turkey hunting along the Saline N of Hays next week and I HATE snakes:eek:!!!

Last your we fond a 6ft rattler in the basement after all the rains.

Prayin for your pup!

Kick'em Up!

Thanks for the prayers.

Just came from the farm store and heard that a family at Minneola(South of Dodge) had killed ten at their house already. Not good.

Be careful on your turkey hunt. I have snake gaiters that wear fixing fence and turkey hunting.

Hope you bag a big Tom.

That is a lot of snakes!! About 10 too many!!! How is Murray doing?

He is pretty uncomfortable. His front legs, feet, pads on his feet are about two to three times their normal size. His brisket is baggy and saggy. He is extremely thirsty. I was up during the night cleaning up messes where he lost his urine on the floor which is not normal for him. My wife watched him today and kept him out on the grass so he could drink all he wanted and pee all he needed. I have him back in for the night. Moved his bed right beside the couch and I will spend the night with him. Last night I was shampooing carpet when the shampooer broke so had to go to Wally World in the wee hours for a new one. I hope he has a better night tonight. He is on antibotics and anti inflametory/pain drugs.

Dang Maynard.. That has got to be painful for Murray..Did the Doc say about how long the symptoms will last before the recovery begins? Tough ol pup you have there!! Hope he gets better quickly so you and the MRS. can get some sleep and Murray can start having some fun again.. My friends lab took one on the cheek and it was about a 2 week ordeal and his face and cheek were not very recognizeable... Thanks for sharing the pic's and updates with us..

He stayed beside me all night on his pad beside the couch. He never gets comfortable. Any time I was awake he had his head up. Once in awhile he will lay his head down, but only for a few moments. His back bone is really pronounced with him not eating.

It was a better night for me not shampooing carpet all night. I will see if he will go outside soon then let him have all the water he wants. I think I will continue to limit his water intake before I bring him in the house for the night.

Vet said probably he would be down for three or four days with no interest in food. Fortunately the strike was not on the nose or head where respiratory would be restricted.

Thanks for your concern.

Back