NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

looks to me like most of it will pass you by to the south.....:thumbsup:

That is my hope as well and it looks like it will happen!! It will hit East of you and make travel stink in Wichita with all the traffic.. I don't mind driving in it if I am the only one on the road!!lol That does not happen very often..KC looks to get in on it as well.. Most of the ice looks to be in the SEK corner, but you never know.. Cold weather is here for a bit!! 31 below West of Gunnison,Co without the wind chill this morning..Sunny here, but cold..Birds should be ready for the camera Maynard!!:D

Seem to have dodged a bullet here! The ground isn't totally covered so the quail should be able to forage adequately. There is an icy layer on stuff, but it isn't solid. What a relief!

Lots of rain and sleet here in SEK. Luckily the ground is not yet completely covered and it is not terribly cold out so hopefully the quail won't be affected much.

Dodged a huge bullet...N.E. Could still see some nasty stuff and Hope down in the S.E. it stays warm, but the cold side of the storm is not all the way through and cold air is sinking down...Overall it could of been like starting from scratch or from the 2013 numbers. Thank goodness it did not happen!!! :thumbsup:

Disaster in SEK. Roads and highways closed, bridges completely gone, just a total disaster. I don't know how we will ever dry out from this. Water everywhere and now the ice and snow started. If we would have had snow versus rain we would have close to 4 feet. 8 inches of rain and still falling. My Behlen Kennels were destroyed last night from wind. Thank God the dogs slept inside.

I'm down here north of Tulsa. Amazing amount of rain. You folks in SEK are sending it all down here now on top of what we got. We've shattered precip records for the year as well as several flood record marks on several rivers. Reminds me of 86.

Would have been a ton of snow had it been cold enough. Just a light dusting here on top of the water. Had about 6" here but some places east of here had over 10. Massive flooding. Brother is a lineman for the electric coop. 65 hrs of overtime since Friday. Wind was something to behold last night about 9:00. Can't say I ever remember such a strong north wind. Quite a storm.

Sure has changed since this thread started!

Last edited:
I'm down here north of Tulsa. Amazing amount of rain. You folks in SEK are sending it all down here now on top of what we got. We've shattered precip records for the year as well as several flood record marks on several rivers. Reminds me of 86.

Would have been a ton of snow had it been cold enough. Just a light dusting here on top of the water. Had about 6" here but some places east of here had over 10. Massive flooding. Brother is a lineman for the electric coop. 65 hrs of overtime since Friday. Wind was something to behold last night about 9:00. Can't say I ever remember such a strong north wind. Quite a storm.

Sure has changed since this thread started!

I believe this is the worst flooding in history here. Lots of damage.

I think it is time to start thinking about a "Rain Dance" from our resident expert.

I think it is coming this weekend.....But we still would like to see the dance!!:D

Forecasting possibly 3-4 inches in the 3-4 days..

Last edited:
It has been a long dry spell. Thinking back the only substantial moisture was back at Thanksgiving when we had about 3/4 inch of ice. It was so slick. If there was even the slightest slope I would have to get down on my hands and knees and crawl because I couldn't stay on my feet(figured that out after busting my butt a few times).

There was that big blizzard forecast that produced not even a speck of snow. I even geared up for it and bought snow shoes.

Had just a shower earlier this week, maybe a quarter inch. As mentioned some rain in forecast for the weekend.

My dancing sure isn't anything like Dancing with the Stars, but I could mosey down to the Longbranch and do a little can can with the girls and have me a tall sarsaparilla.

Speaking of drinks, a guy can get a beer at the Longbranch, if you are a drinking man, which I am not, but there will be more liquor coming to Dodge soon. Just up the hill from the Longbranch on Boot Hill sits the 1929 Dodge City City Hall. Since its use as city hall beginning in 1929 it has been used a a fire station, police department and city jail, chamber of commerce office and some others I missed. The building had been vacant the past few years and scheduled to be razed. The building will soon be opening as the Boot Hill Distillery, crafting liquor from the owners farms in the area. Labels include Red Eye Whiskey, Shady Lady Vodka, Doc Holiday Gin and GM Hoover's White Whiskey.

20160321IP_zpspzjcusje.jpg

That is marketing genius!! What were you thinking Maynard? You could of had a nice sit down job!!!!:D

I was just looking at possible rainfall over the weekend and looks really good for substantial rain..Area around julesburg, Colorado to the NE around Lake McConaughey was targeted for flooding with 5+ inches possible in that South and North Platte river drainages. Eastern Colorado and Kansas will get theirs and maybe snow for us depending on temp closer to the hills...Looks like a 3 day event with Friday being possible Severe weather for Eastern Colorado and Western Kansas...Hail and Possible Tornado's.

I would love a repeat of the rainfall of May 2015. It was a perfect storm for a rebound in bird numbers, especially quail.

Cheyenne is expected to get 12-18 inches of snow..My Tree's will not like that!! Hope it stays rain here!! But not likely!! This will be good for the wheat and birds...minus any hail.

Looks like the Baggins will need to visit Dodge for the Grand Opening! If I get up there during hunting season again I may not actually get to the fields with all there is to see. Well, get those dancing shoes warmed up and if nothing else, take a good long leak in the country. That should get things going REAL good. By the way, the part of Nebraska I pheasant hunt had over 10 inches of rain last May and boy oh boy, the birds made a nice rebound! Hope for the same this year Maynard and the first round will be on me. (and I am not a drinking kind of man either)

The winter wheat had a nice spring green up but was looking bad in places due to lack of recent moisture. This weekend should do wonders for the wheat and the upland bird potential. And I say potential, since we all know that until we get to that opening day in November, lots can happen. I would love to see a repeat of last year when the heavy May rains seemed to be the perfect storm for the quail, pheasant and lesser prairie chicken.

Here is the precip map for this weekend.

20160417Precip_zpsx6ugjuvy.jpg

this is probably one of El Nino's last gasps of good moisture for the mid west, maybe through the end of the month, unfortunately they are forecasting the return of La Nina.........which results in a drought pattern, for the mid west and Texas.....the patterns are ever changing.....hope for the best.

Living my life in this country I learn to be very thankful for the moisture when we get it.

1.95" at the Ponderosa since it started. Still a little light rain/drizzle in the area.

1.5 at Byron Walker. This will really help. May be too late for me to do any burning yet this spring with all the turkey hunters squatting in the cover. I had such grand plans!

Good deal. We have had a really nice rain with little runoff. Burns are good. Rain in this country is great.

Back