NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Our total so far is a measly .23. Not quite the 1-2 inches forecast. This will help the wheat Maynard! However, it won't fill my marshes!!!

might be some remnants of hurricane Patricia work it's way up here early next week, 200 mph 'cane coming up through Mexico, sure to be some "blow off", we are expected to get 6-10 inches of rain in the DFW area over the next 3-4 days........:eek:

Maynard, you got the canoe up to the porch? How about the dog sled??? We've already had .35 with more on the way. Wish it would stay liquid!!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be careful travelling!

Maynard, you got the canoe up to the porch? How about the dog sled??? We've already had .35 with more on the way. Wish it would stay liquid!!! Happy Thanksgiving everyone. Be careful travelling!

I took my rain gauge inside for the winter, so don't know how much I received, maybe 0.25-0.35". Forecast not favorable at the moment. Looks like you could be in the really nasty area with ice. I have looked at the hourly forecast for the Ponderosa for Saturday morning shows freezing rain with air temps in the upper teens. Not good. I have lots of food and cover for all my critters this year, so they should be just fine. Now this old human is another issue. Better start the generator today. My fuel supply a little low. Better make a run to town and fill up cans. Pantry is in good shape.

Lots to be thankful for this year. Belated Thanksgiving Blessings to you and yours.

Oh, just thinking of you and your dogs. Don't know how many you have at the moment. You might appreciate this story.

We ran a store in a little town near here back in the 50's and 60's. It was a gathering place and home to a lot of story tellers. Thomas, the story teller had an old hermit neighbor, Abe, that had dogs; he claimed maybe a hundred. I found out first hand a few years later, that fact to be true. Anyway, the electric blanket had just came out and my dad wanting to have the latest invention on the shelves so had a display with the new electric blankets. Thomas, upon seeing the display said, "Ya know, ya'll never sell one of them things to Abe, cuz when he gets cold, he just pulls up another dog."

I dumped .35 out of the gauge early yesterday. Looked this morning and there's sure over another inch in it now. Had to take a lighter to the dog pens to get the clips off of the gates. I never switched from buckets to bowls on water so that may be on today's schedule. Waiting to hear if the son did well hunting ducks this morning. His father-in-law and brother-in-law are in and they braved the ice to splash some webbed feet this morning. Glad we had good moisture this year. The cover it provided is being used now!

A good quarter inch of ice on everything here and all the doors on the trucks were frozen shut. Spitting a little snow now.

Sleeting here now. A few limbs down. I expect it will get worse. It'd be nice to get a few more degrees and lose some of the ice load. Everyone stay safe!

Blizzard Watch

Maynard, hope you are on the beach somewhere and miss this one!! Calling for 5 foot drifts in places...Hope it is not that bad, but Mother Nature has her own rules!!!

Maynard, if you don't have it done, tuck your quail in for a long bout of "can't find the groceries"! We didn't need this!

Blizzard Warning now!! This is not the best scenario for wildlife trying to recover from drought.. I am sure we will here from some guy's in the field in the next week... Could be ice then a Blizzard...:eek:

It has been a long day. Just getting inside. It is brutal out there. No precip yet but the wind will blow you over. Yeah I am at the beaches of Ford County, A/K/A long dry playas that now have water in them. Lots of water here, in the ditches, in the fields, in the playas.

I may actually have the best cover ever. Will see how the birds do through this storm. One of my biggest problems at the moment is way too many coyotes. Plan to take care of that somewhat in January.

Well time for a little rest and wait and see what happens outside.

Let's hope it slides East and South of you and you miss the brunt!! Still looks like some good snow for a lot of Kansas except the Western Half. Looks cold for a while with this one....

Back