NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

Here is a playa that has filled up since the rains. On the left of the fence is land that is in the Wetland Reserve Program and the land on the right side is another owner not in the WRP. These had both been dry for some time. Good to see and the ducks are loving it.

IMG_7787_zpss4ya1jsg.jpg

I have land in the WRP in Finney county that hasn't had much water in it since they constructed the wetland. I hope it looks like that, I need to free up time to go out and see it.

Here is a playa that has filled up since the rains. On the left of the fence is land that is in the Wetland Reserve Program and the land on the right side is another owner not in the WRP. These had both been dry for some time. Good to see and the ducks are loving it.

IMG_7787_zpss4ya1jsg.jpg

That is gorgeous!!! Great photo and it is nice to see all that water in the playas!! Is Murray still on the mend?Tough cookie ol Murray...Thanks for sharing your pictures Maynard!! Always enjoy seeing Mother Natures beauty!! How is your Sainfoin doing? Do you think the Birds utilize it for nesting or prefer it over other types of nesting cover?:cheers:

Murry has a ways to go. At the six day mark he was a new dog and really to rock and roll, except there is a solid mass at the bite site between his front legs. Mass is softball to grapefruit size. There is a silver dollar size hole where the skin and meat has sluffed off. Had him to the vet yesterday. Maintain antibotics, keep wound covered with the pink anti fly ointment to prevent flies laying maggot eggs. Wait and hope the wound heals from inside out, if not will have to open and remove damaged tissue.

Sainfoin is doing pretty well. Quail really loved it last year. Deer have been slow to take to it, but this year they are really after the new growth after the rains. Twenty-four grazing at dusk the other evening. Most ever in one spot for me. Hope yours is coming along and loaded with deer and big old nasty elk.

Murry has a ways to go. At the six day mark he was a new dog and really to rock and roll, except there is a solid mass at the bite site between his front legs. Mass is softball to grapefruit size. There is a silver dollar size hole where the skin and meat has sluffed off. Had him to the vet yesterday. Maintain antibotics, keep wound covered with the pink anti fly ointment to prevent flies laying maggot eggs. Wait and hope the wound heals from inside out, if not will have to open and remove damaged tissue.

Sainfoin is doing pretty well. Quail really loved it last year. Deer have been slow to take to it, but this year they are really after the new growth after the rains. Twenty-four grazing at dusk the other evening. Most ever in one spot for me. Hope yours is coming along and loaded with deer and big old nasty elk.

http://agresearch.montana.edu/wtarc...trient-management/Sainfoin/NRCSPLantGuide.pdf

May 12th and a 19 foot drift on Trail Ridge..They said they may get 3-4 more feet before the road opens for Memorial Day..I know it has been snowing there the last 2 days and snow was falling at 7800 hundred feet today.Lots of moisture to melt and hope it doesn't go all at once!! Suppose to warm up and be drier for Plains.
13226841_10153852485938300_3994820229893498235_n_zpsibtvuz6i.jpg

Looks like June will be about normal for Weather in the short range forecast(Kansas) and South Dakota looks to be above average with temps.

I had 1.00" early Monday(June 13) morning with lots of wind. Around the area that is quite a bit of wheat that was on the ground from earlier wind blown rains. Monday's rain laid some more down.

Early this morning(June 14) another 0.40"

Rains are backing up the start of harvest around here which is good for the birds. Don't know the full effect of the wheat on the ground.

Might have seen my first pheasant chick. Just caught it out of the corner of my eye and my first reaction was pheasant chick flying.

Haven't seen any turkey poults yet. Seeing a few hens traveling the roads.

Haven't seen any lesser prairie chicken chicks yet. I was up in their habitat two evenings ago and needed to get a recent calf back on my side the fence to its momma. That area has lots of rattle snakes and the grass was tall so I was a little cautious as I moved the calf along the fence to an open gate. I jumped and about wet myself when a hen quail flushed right under me. The way she flushed I am certain she was on a nest. Those darn quail might be becoming invasive as I have never seen a quail any where close to that area of the Ponderosa. There is one hatch at headquarters that are flying now. I am seeing a good number of pairs in my travels. Hope those little buggers have another good year.

Whitetail bucks putting on some decent velvet at the moment. Haven't seen anything that I would call monster.

All and all a good spring at the Ponderosa for the critters.

Great report Maynard!! Hot and dry for awhile heading forward..Glad you escaped the rattlesnakes!!!:thumbsup:

I got to wear snake gaiters for the first time on the field trip at the Texas Quail Symposium last summer. You might want to get a pair. Glad to hear about the invasive birds. Help saw our first brood yesterday working food plots. They are calling all over. Harvest is in full swing here. We missed all the rain this week and will be getting dry with this heat and wind. My farmer had a turkey flush under the gate lock getting in to cut wheat. She had 6 eggs in that nest! Hope she doesn't leave it. That's the only gate in to that wheat field.

I have discovered the sure fire way to bring rain.
Went down to the farm tonight and sprayed some small burs that grow around the edge of several of my fields. They are a pain with Setters.

Just as I was finishing up, a storm popped up and it rained hard.

I do have Whitewater Snake Gaiters and wear them most of the time. The other evening was a rare exception as I was in the truck and didn't have any plans to be on the ground.

I did see one farmer try to cut wheat today, but he didn't continue.

More dryland corn planted this year than I have ever seen and it is looking really good. Most about knee high. The irrigated corn is knee to waist high and looking good.

Milo in the ground and various stages up to about 6 inch. Some dryland milo following last year milo on the same acres, which is unusual for this arid region.

Beans up to about 6".

Going to be a hot week. Temps 100+ all week.

I do have Whitewater Snake Gaiters and wear them most of the time. The other evening was a rare exception as I was in the truck and didn't have any plans to be on the ground.

I did see one farmer try to cut wheat today, but he didn't continue.

More dryland corn planted this year than I have ever seen and it is looking really good. Most about knee high. The irrigated corn is knee to waist high and looking good.

Milo in the ground and various stages up to about 6 inch. Some dryland milo following last year milo on the same acres, which is unusual for this arid region.

Beans up to about 6".

Going to be a hot week. Temps 100+ all week.

I think you all have been getting more rain than Wichita and vicinity - unusual. Though we may have played a little catch up yesterday - rained for quite a while starting around 6-7 or so until around 10 - lots of thunder and lightning as well - kinda popped up out of now where. Not looking forward to the steam sauna today.

Maynard - got very many mulies and antelope on your place?

No speed goats here. There was a relocation program way back when, but they didn't stay.

Only good mulies at the Ponderosa any more are on the wall. There used to be a really nice herd in the area, but now not many. I keep hoping for another good one.

Now what I really miss are elk. There had been some really nice ones in the past, but I never could connect. On my bucket list is taking an elk at the Ponderosa(or at least in Kansas). Every year I donate money for a tag to KDWPT just in case one comes strolling through. My lottery--my loss--KDWPT win. :)

Back