NEWS FLASH: Drought ends at Ponderosa

You should probably slow down on the rain dancing for a bit!:thumbsup:

Bleu-

Figured it out, it was this guy and his sister can can dancing with the girls at the Longbranch that opened up the skies.

IMG_5334_zps7s9u7vqg.jpg

For those that are not familiar with Horse Thief Reservoir, it is west on Jetmore on Buckner Creek. It is a few years old.

Top of conservation pool is 2422

Heavy rains in the watershed, approximately 186 square miles averaged 1.75". Those rains came late on May 27th. Today the estimated inflow was 2,000 cubic feet per second.

Level before rain 2409.20
Level at 2:45 PM CDT, May 28, 2015 is 2419.43

20150528HorseThief_zpsfvzjik1b.jpg

If my calculations are correct the estimated inflow is 900,000 gallons per minute. An olympic-size pool holds about 660,000 gallons. So inflow could fill that pool in about 45 seconds.

Lots of water.

If I know Barth, he's got a ho-down going!!! I hope that this holds on and the playa's help recharge the aquifer as they have for eons. Probably won't see it while they are sucking on them at the same time but, should the water last longer than the corn, we could see some new water filter down.

Maynard, if I remember correctly, your place was wet when I visited last. Hmmm, don't remember your creek looking like that! This should really make the lake attractive for some time! It would be nice if it persisted for a good while! Nice to see that color of green in the background!

Last edited:
Seeing the playas full is quite a sight. I understand the weather bureau is using satellite images of the playas and then going out and trying to estimate depth and volume.

There has been some water in the Arkansas River from time to time, but it disappears again. With John Martin filling up and all the snow pack in the Arkansas River watershed in Colorado, there could actually be some water moving down the channel. I understand some high mountain reservoirs are at full or near full levels and the snow melt will be coming soon.

I continue to be a reluctant irrigator. I tried my best to retire my water rights in the CREP for the Upper Arkansas, but my conservative water use disqualified me from the water conservation program. Go figure. So I pump some water on my milo planted at a limited irrigation rate and hope that the heavens supply much of it. I would certainly like to see a substantial reduction in irrigation pumping and a reduction in corn acres.

Bleu-

Figured it out, it was this guy and his sister can can dancing with the girls at the Longbranch that opened up the skies.

IMG_5334_zps7s9u7vqg.jpg

I think you are correct!!!! Thanks for sharing and see if they can travel to California!!! Oh, and nice pic's of your new res filling up. We could and should be building a few more here..:cheers:

Haven't had much yet, but the night is not over.

Had 0.30" Thursday morning and 0.20" this morning.

Maynard, have you had a chance to do a "Rain Dance" lately? I will try to reach out to you in Dodge when I drive up to Nebraska in less than two weeks. Maybe we can get breakfast at your secret hideout. Please advise.

It has been a long dry spell. Dusting my dancin' shoes off as we speak. Maybe later in the week.

Sounds good. Give me a call or shoot me a text.

Maynard, have you had a chance to do a "Rain Dance" lately? I will try to reach out to you in Dodge when I drive up to Nebraska in less than two weeks. Maybe we can get breakfast at your secret hideout. Please advise.

1.75" last night and this morning.

We've had very little. Still hoping it hasn't gotten past us already! Glad you got a good shot Maynard! That ought to get you into the winter in good shape! Might take the work out of watering tree rows!

I was making one more pass on the trees before winterizing the systems, but now have shut them off.

Should also be a benefit for the dogs hitting the ground on November 14th.

Most of the winter wheat was looking pretty good going into this rain. This will definitely put it in good shape going into winter. The deer herd will be liking it a lot too.

Back