MN Wolf season

goldeneye

:thumbsup: it's about time :10sign:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S2463008.shtml?cat=12196

The state Department of Natural Resources is telling landowners they can start hunting problem wolves next week.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last month removed wolves in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota from the federal endangered species list. Starting Friday, the states can manage their wolf populations on their own.

The DNR plans to send letters out Monday to about 100 landowners who have had problems with wolves killing livestock telling them that they can obtain permits to hunt wolves on their property. The permits will be valid beginning Friday.

Starting the same day, people also will be allowed to shoot a wolf in the act of attacking personal property without a permit.

:thumbsup: it's about time :10sign:

http://kstp.com/article/stories/S2463008.shtml?cat=12196

The state Department of Natural Resources is telling landowners they can start hunting problem wolves next week.

The U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service last month removed wolves in Wisconsin, Michigan and Minnesota from the federal endangered species list. Starting Friday, the states can manage their wolf populations on their own.

The DNR plans to send letters out Monday to about 100 landowners who have had problems with wolves killing livestock telling them that they can obtain permits to hunt wolves on their property. The permits will be valid beginning Friday.

Starting the same day, people also will be allowed to shoot a wolf in the act of attacking personal property without a permit.

Maybe this will once again cause wolves to fear humans and avoid us as apposed to when they were listed, they just seemed to be losing their fear.

My cousin shot a wolf via license in Montana and now he's on P.E.T.A's list. They put articles in newpapers out there telling people not to go to his medical office because he harms animals...Shawn is a medical doctor. They are a crazy group! Just hope they'll leave these hunters and/or landowners alone.

Sweet. I have one question how do you know which wolfs are problem wolves? Ex if the wolf kills an animal in the middle of the night and no one is around to see it do you just assume that the next wolf you see is the one based on behaviors.

Please don't take this wrong like I'm against the rule I just wonder sometimes when the DNR or lawmakers make a law how are they going to police it.

Actually beercity; MN wolves are their own worst enemy, even the [some] bleeding hearts realize this. For instance the once thriving moose population is now endangered. And the deer herd over much of MN norther range is managed for the wolves and has been for some time. Hunters opportunity's are limited costing needed revenue for the MN DNR.

SO:eek: the good news for you and other wolf people, ain't likely to EVER be a season for wolves in MN. I'm betting on it.:eek:

Sweet. I have one question how do you know which wolfs are problem wolves? Ex if the wolf kills an animal in the middle of the night and no one is around to see it do you just assume that the next wolf you see is the one based on behaviors.

Please don't take this wrong like I'm against the rule I just wonder sometimes when the DNR or lawmakers make a law how are they going to police it.

If it still breathing and with in 50 miles of livestock it is a problem.

My cousin shot a wolf via license in Montana and now he's on P.E.T.A's list. They put articles in newpapers out there telling people not to go to his medical office because he harms animals...Shawn is a medical doctor. They are a crazy group! Just hope they'll leave these hunters and/or landowners alone.

Those of us who have to deal with these PETA types know they are wicked as hell. That's discussing what they are doing to your cousin. They'll stop at nothing. I hope he comes through it okay.

Talking with some folks this past weekend, we discussed how organized and $loaded the animal "rights" groups are. They are effective.

We (sportsmen) need to become just as organized and $backed. While we're at it, maybe we can through some of their B.S. back at them. I'm tired of them telling us what's right and wrong when they have no clue how to manage wildlife/habitats.

They do far more harm than good.

Afriend of mine raises meat goats with his daughter and had problems with some of them and his daughter stopped them from bugging them with a bumper sticker. It said save a chicken fry an activist. When she put that on her truck they haven't been back to bother them about butchering goats.

wolf season

I personally don't care wether people hunt wolves or not. I think they should be managed like other wildlife and if the dnr can raise revenue through lisence sales then so be it. I don't think I will ever pull a wolf tag personally, and I don't hunt deer so I cannot comment on the abundace of deer. I recently read an article in the outdoor news that brought up an interesting point concerning wolves and deer/ moose numbers. The author makes the argument that while wolves do eat moose and deer natural events such as severe winters and loss of habitat may have a bigger impact on their numbers than wolves. I believe that better logging practices aimed at re-establishing younger forests would have a positive impact on numbers of deer and other game.

I do believe that if there is a healthy population of wolves and people willing to hunt them then we should have a season. I do not believe that giving the green light to ranchers to shoot wolves for killing live stock is the right thing to do.

I personally don't care wether people hunt wolves or not. I think they should be managed like other wildlife and if the dnr can raise revenue through lisence sales then so be it. I don't think I will ever pull a wolf tag personally, and I don't hunt deer so I cannot comment on the abundace of deer. I recently read an article in the outdoor news that brought up an interesting point concerning wolves and deer/ moose numbers. The author makes the argument that while wolves do eat moose and deer natural events such as severe winters and loss of habitat may have a bigger impact on their numbers than wolves. I believe that better logging practices aimed at re-establishing younger forests would have a positive impact on numbers of deer and other game.

I do believe that if there is a healthy population of wolves and people willing to hunt them then we should have a season. I do not believe that giving the green light to ranchers to shoot wolves for killing live stock is the right thing to do.

What would you do if a wolf was trying to kill something that belonged to you? And what do you think is the right thing for game mangers to do regarding that issue.

I would wish for anyone who thinks wolves aren't a problem should be forced to be a sheep rancher in wolf country for 6 months. Then you can tell us how you feel. California has tried the hunting ban on cougars, now they are so bold they drag down joggers in the foothills outside Los Angeles. We can always abandon livestock raising in wolf country, or suspend human activity on the Angeles forest. Why not acheive some balance, I don't think anyone here wants to exterminate the wolf in Minnesota, but it's another thing to fight off the nightly raid on the livestock, at tremendous expense, and some personal risk as well.

I agree it's about time. People just have no clue. And the ones that don't, and have no stake in the game, they should just focus on them selves. As far as comments made about reforestation, well, this day and age there is little room for improvement. They plant way more trees then we cut. That practice has been in place for many years. I don't agree with what much of the government or DNR does. But with forest management they are doing a fantastic job. Wolves are in fact a huge problem in some areas. And a farmer having a green light to shoot them is exactly what has been needed for a long time. Look in to the numbers and seasons just across the border in Canada before you think there is few wolves out there. They have never been in danger, ever.... People hunting or shooting a few problem animals will do little to the population we have now. It took a much greater effort to dwindle them down to the numbers before the bleeders cried wolf. People hunt coyotes like mad, and what has happened to them. Back in the day they not only shot them, but most land owners could poison, trap, use dogs, air planes, snow machines and almost any other easy method to get rid of them. So simple harvest implications will do nothing more then at least make them possibly,"Possibly" more wary of man, towns, farms, dogs and so on. Hopefully. Personaly, I think it will take a greater effort then a few farm shots, and a few tags will do. I bet, this time in 10 years we have more wolves then we have now. I think they will have to have helicopter management or similar eradication down to desired numbers in high risk counties.

Last edited:
I agree it's about time. People just have no clue. And the ones that don't, and have no stake in the game, they should just focus on them selves. As far as comments made about reforestation, well, this day and age there is little room for improvement. They plant way more trees then we cut. That practice has been in place for many years. I don't agree with what much of the government or DNR does. But with forest management they are doing a fantastic job. Wolves are in fact a huge problem in some areas. And a farmer having a green light to shoot them is exactly what has been needed for a long time. Look in to the numbers and seasons just across the border in Canada before you think there is few wolves out there. They have never been in danger, ever.... People hunting or shooting a few problem animals will do little to the population we have now. It took a much greater effort to dwindle them down to the numbers before the bleeders cried wolf. People hunt coyotes like mad, and what has happened to them. Back in the day they not only shot them, but most land owners could poison, trap, use dogs, air planes, snow machines and almost any other easy method to get rid of them. So simple harvest implications will do nothing more then at least make them possibly,"Possibly" more wary of man, towns, farms, dogs and so on. Hopefully. Personaly, I think it will take a greater effort then a few farm shots, and a few tags will do. I bet, this time in 10 years we have more wolves then we have now. I think they will have to have helicopter management or similar eradication down to desired numbers in high risk counties.

If they wanted to turn wolves loose in parks they should have used Central Park, Golden Gate Park, Grant Park and so on. I think it would have done more good and we would not have needed so many of them.

HayMaker,

Now that's the best suggestion I have heard :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Quote, jfelipe.

" I recently read an article in the outdoor news that brought up an interesting point concerning wolves and deer/ moose numbers. The author makes the argument that while wolves do eat moose and deer natural events such as severe winters and loss of habitat may have a bigger impact on their numbers than wolves. I believe that better logging practices aimed at re-establishing younger forests would have a positive impact on numbers of deer and other game."

Those that wrote this article are preying on those that have no knowledge of nature or what goes on. Total CRAP for sure.
Anti hunting you think?:mad:

Wear PETA's scorn like a badge of honor.Like Gingrich said of plastic face Pelosi "I'd rather have her scorn me than endorse me".

Last edited:
I can't imagine that wolf hunting would be easy. I have seen them twice when I was up north in BWCA. They are sneaky things.

Just chain your dog up in the woods and make him bark.:D Youl see one.

I hear they will dole out 6,000 tags. That seems high, but also says they are serious. I thought that was what channel 5 said, but not sure if it's true.

They could try to sell a million wolf tags, makes no difference.
MN DNR would like to see the revenue.
Kill quota is 400, registration is same day as the kill. When 400 is hit, that's it, your tag is invalid.
The wolf season should coinside with the deer seasons. [archery, rifle and muzzleloader]
400 out of 4,000 is not near enough. 1,000 MN wolves would still be more then plenty.
MN proposed wolf hunt will be cancelled anyway by some judge.
MT state legislature had to finally pass a law to get it past the judges.

Same will have to happen in MN. Think it has a chance? We have the Twin Cities you know!:eek:

Back