Leaving Ca

We had an awesome day today hunting with Tom and his group. The group of 10 represented California, Montana, Minnesota, Iowa Missouri, and Kansas and everyone was a pleasure to share a field with. If We came up short of our limit it wasn't for a lack of targets and one field produce somewhere between 300-500 birds. Tom can safely tell his wife that us Cali boys do in fact know a thing or two about pheasant hunting.:cheers:

I'm living vicariously through you and Jim, Robert. Thanks for sharing. How about some names to go with the faces in the group photo? Lots of us are familiar with their UPH names but have never met them in person.

Last edited:
Cal. Being a blocker in a pheasant field was a very humbling experience. I fancy myself a pretty good shot and always thought blocking would be a lot pass shooting big doves.:D My pile of 12 empty hulls and only one rooster to show for it disproved that idea quickly.:eek:

JohnnyB is pictured far right, third from right is PTM, Carptom is standing in back, KansasBrittany, his dad and boys in front of Tom. The young man Tucker with the beanie on made some awesome shots today.

Robert, all of us can use the occasional lesson in humility. Were you pass shooting with your 28 ga.? There just isn't any margin for error in judging distance and lead if you were trying to hit those birds that have the time to get some speed up but when they drop after flying at top speed, there's nothing like it. Very different from shooting them when they jump or even as big doves, I think. Fast, huh? Or should I say, eh?:thumbsup:

Fast is right. Fast and high... and fast.:D I used my 20ga on my blocking turn. My 28 has dumped 4 SD roosters so far though.:thumbsup:

Robert,

I truly enjoyed hunting with you, your brother,ptm, and kb and his family posse. That cattail patch was a little unexpected based on the warm temps. My dog was having a bad dog day on the cripples. And my lack of sleep took a little toll on an old fat guy. You guys are welcome to hunt with me anytime it was a blast.

Fast is right. Fast and high... and fast.:D

Pass shooting high pheasants that have it in high gear is one of the few times I've found where you need a "Ridiculous Lead" like you use pass shooting waterfowl. Hard to get too far in front but when you stone one you can hear the drivers go, "Wow!".

I used my 20ga on my blocking turn. My 28 has dumped 4 SD roosters so far though.:thumbsup:

Nice job with the pea shooter.

THERE WILL BE MORE--LOTS MORE!!!! :D:D:thumbsup:

I told you so---LOTS MORE and your not done yet. :D
I didn't get to see it---you really do miss? :eek:
Are ya starting to see just how spoiled we are here in SD.

Keep us informed how it's going. :thumbsup:

Agree, great thread. Really shows the love of the sport and the adventures that come with chasing the greatest of gamebirds. This thread also shows some of the good friendships that have been formed because of this board. I can personally attest to that as well. :thumbsup:

Robert,

I truly enjoyed hunting with you, your brother,ptm, and kb and his family posse. That cattail patch was a little unexpected based on the warm temps. My dog was having a bad dog day on the cripples. And my lack of sleep took a little toll on an old fat guy. You guys are welcome to hunt with me anytime it was a blast.

I thought that was you in the top photo. Didn't realize you met up with those guys.

Anyway, looks like a great time fellas! Rob, thanks for posting your photos. Hopefully everyone had a safe trip home.

Yea nick that was me. Those guys came over and hunted with me for a day. They have seen a lot of sd in one trip. I bet even those youngsters legs are getting tired.:) I know these old ones are pretty tuckered.

KansasBrittany, PTM, Rob and his brother went on to hunt Uguide's Boar's Nest for 3 days starting yesterday. Those boys will be "draggin' tail" by the time they head home.

I'm meeting Uncle Buck today for some hunting in the Howard/Canova area and after the hunt we hope to visit the guys at the Boar's Nest for a little "meet & greet".

Thanks for sharing! This sounds like a wonderful adventure. I wish I could convince someone to make such a trip with me; at almost 67, I'm not too keen on attempting that journey solo, but I've sure lived your hunts vicariously.

Robert, you and your broham had better bundle up your Calif. heinies. On Monday according to Accuweather it's supposed to have a high of 31, a low of 14 with 20 mph winds and gusts to 30. Brrrrrrrr! It's going to be cold out there! Don't let any of the locals talk you into touching your tongue to the flagpole.:)

Yea nick that was me. Those guys came over and hunted with me for a day. They have seen a lot of sd in one trip. I bet even those youngsters legs are getting tired.:) I know these old ones are pretty tuckered.

No kidding. I just read Dakota's post. Rob and his brother are moving on to hunt 3 more days:eek:. Machines.

P.S.--it seems like you're out there often. How many trips do you make each year?

Back