Leaving Ca

Welcome to South Dakota may your stay here be filled with good dog work--lots of birds and good times---:thumbsup:

JIM

Eating dinner at the Siver Spur in Fort Pierre. The waitresses in here are really cute and this Shiner block is really good!:cheers:

I'm sure you're out there chasing birds as I type. I am jealous;-)

Good luck up there today! 8 more hours and the white Ford will be headed for Oneill, NE. Hopefully we'll wake up to a good breakfast and reports from Robert about how great his "Day 1" was and how scenting conditions are excellent (not sure about this one..haven't seen moisture in the forecast there for awhile).

I'm jealous too. I'll be attending a potentially lethally boring continuing education seminar. Wish me luck. I hope to survive to hunt again.

We had a great time today. Started off hunt Fort Pierre National Grassland looking for sharp tailed grouse and we found them. We moved 4 covies and a few singles on our first walk but true to form only one grouse let us get within gun range and he flew off without a feather out of place.:( I said I'd be happy just seeing grouse in the air and I did.:thumbsup:

Ate some lunch in Pierre and headed east. We stopped at some GPA land around the river and hunted the "golden hour". The dogs put up around 30 birds and my brother harvested two roosters, I never took my gun off safety but had a great time none the less.:cheers:

Robert, you guys are getting it done, good going!
Pretty sure your making the most of it, having an adventure.:thumbsup:
JUST a good thing!
Thanks for keeping us posted. I'm in your cheering section! :cheers:

It's definitely been an adventure. My brother said "are you sure there's birds out here?" when we started walking the grasslands because of how sparse the cover was, no more than 5mins out of the truck there were 12 sharps busting just ahead of Buddy, he looked at me and said "I better keep him working a little closer".:D I wouldn't call them beautiful, at least not this time of year but there's no boubt there are grouse out there.

I didn't even take any pics at Fort Pierre.:confused: I'll try to get some better ones from here on out.

1209141709a_zpsscdtuwk3.jpg
[/URL]

Beautiful country- soak it up.

My boys wouldn't say keep them closer. They would say: Catch Up! Dad!

Good stuff Robert. The grasslands are a pretty cool place. Good to see you guy's had a little action.

I wouldn't call them beautiful, at least not this time of year but there's no boubt there are grouse out there.
Not beautiful but elegant in my view. Definitely a western bird that wears chaps wherever they go.
It's good your brother got that one bird. It's spurs are big enough to put your eye out!

Cal, meant the grasslands, not the grouse. The grouse were beautiful, even flushing 50-100yds out.

I still don't think Sharptails are particularly beautiful but you'll see once you get one in hand. Elegant.
Get some recipes for them from the people back there. In my experience they're not the best on the table but then it could be the way I cook them.

Eating dinner at the Siver Spur in Fort Pierre. The waitresses in here are really cute and this Shiner block is really good!:cheers:

You're killin' me, man! lol! :cheers:

The pictures indicate to me you were near the Fort George area east of Pierre say 10 miles. Yes, I have hunted and fished there. :10sign:

In my experience they're not the best on the table but then it could be the way I cook them.

It ain't just the way you cook them. I've tried them the way numerous people cook them. They're horrible -- every time.

They're fun to hunt, but I just let them fly this year in Montana after the dogs pointed them. The thought of eating another one prevented me from pulling the trigger.

They showed up here today

Quail Hound --Robert and his brother James--far left--see my post 2014 so Far in South Dakota section for more pictures

Last edited:
Back