If you had to choose a second breed what would it be?

terrym

Now that I own a Britt some people ask when i will get a second dog. Truthfully as much as I love that dog I think if I got a second dog it would be a beagle. Used to run beagles and in winter its a blast. I find the darn bird seasons are too short and chasing rabbits until March would tide us over nicely until the woodcock start migrating back and we can get back to training. So, if you had to choose a different breed what would it be?

Well as of now I have the great fortune of having a Jack Russel and Springers. If I HAD to get another breed I reckon it would be a cocker, boykin, or german spaniel.:D:cheers:

A nice pocket sized beagle would be fun but they are so damn hard headed, I guess its the hound in them. A few guys out here use beagles to hunt chukar too.

Last edited:
That is a tough one, I assume you are talking about a significant change in breed, not like me getting a Gordon, Red or Irish setter :D

A closer working pointing breed like a GWP might be a choice. Or maybe something like a Small Munsterlander.

Or, maybe another Llewellin :thumbsup:

I love my Brittanys and my younger one is such an outstanding dog in every aspect it would be difficult to change. But, I'm always looking at different breeds. I ran across some great Red (Irish) Setters recently and would probably at least take a look at them. I also have an interest in one of the rare breeds, the Blue Picardy.

I currently have three different breeds – a Lab, an English setter and a pointer. I don't see myself ever venturing outside that trio. Absolutely no offense to anyone on here or any breed out there, but for pointing dogs, I have a very strong preference for long, white tails.

For non-pointing field breeds, I'm hung up on lean, muscular Labs.

I own 2 fine goldens and love to hunt with them, they work very well together. That said I have always had a soft spot in my heart for a Visla. If I could get one that was hardy in the cold weather, I might look to get one.

I don't think my wife would let me get another dog that was not a setter. But if she would I would give the pudelpointer or a small munsterlander a try. Or if I got really crazy and quit with the pointing dogs I would get a Boykin. But I doubt I ever have that opportunity.

I need some kind of a waterdog, but the "kennel" is full. I probably kicked 200 ducks and geese off (my little piece of) the river today, but I don't have the right dog for a January river hunt.

I would probably get a pointing lab if I had room for another dog. Then I could chase ducks on the river with her but I wouldn't have to leave her behind when I hunt with my pointy dogs.

I think some of the really wooly, wiry versatile dogs would also work, but my wife would kill me twice if I got one. Every time we see a real wiry wirehair, my wife says, "thank God, Daisy does not look like that!"

ive always been interested in a english pointer! I own a brittany but im going to wait a couple years and probably going to get one!!!

I'd get a water dog - a lab or a chessy - so I could take up waterfowl hunting. Afraid my skinny upland style Brittany would get hypothermia from cold water retrieving.

If I was just adding depth to the lineup I would go with a Pointer or a Brittany, it would be more about the breeder than the breed.

Giving serious consideration to getting a Lab to hunt ducks on the weekends when I can't get out of town.

Lab or Setter.

A good flushing lab makes for great action in heavy cover. As others have stated, it would be nice to be able to have a cold-water dog that also hunts upland effectively. Toad makes a good point about the pointing labs and not "having" to leave them behind when he's hunting upland.

Setter's...never hunted behind one, but watching them in action, albeit video and still picture;), has peaked my interest.

So many options, so little time :)

If we're talking a small tweak, I'd go with another Gordon setter. If it's a different type, maybe a Boykin or a German Longhair.

My dog points pheasants, flushes pheasants and will retrieve ducks in the coldest of waters but other than that he's a pain in the ass:D. Ive been considering either a wire haired pointing griffon or a brittany for a kennel mate.

Have a buddy with a Vizsla...may go that route if I added another.

I have a 12 yr old Britt and this past weekend got a 12 week old GSP. So far so good. Wife didnt want 2 dogs and put up a good fight but I won and once I brought the pup home she was in love I even let her name it. Roxie

I've come to love and appreciate Mick, the new, used, dog--a Springer--over the last three years.

But my heart will always belong to GWPs, NOT drathaars. If I had the legs, or were 10 years younger, there'd be two dogs in the house -- and field.

I know I'd laugh, and probably cuss, a lot more, but the breed pretty well defined the last 25 years for me here in Wisconsin. I got lucky.

I currently have two labs and a gsp. I thought I would like to try a french brit, but my dogs cann't live in the house. I wouldn't mind trying a few different ones. springer, field bred cocker, and wirehair or pudelpointer top the list right now.

Back