How much is a dog worth?

haymaker

I have a group of hunters here that don't have a dog with them. They hunted till one and got one bird. They decided to hunt with my dog after dinner, they picked up nine more in about the same amount of time. How much have I added to their hunt by letting them use my dog? I am not talking about dollars as much as I am talking about their hunting experience.

Imo a dog is the MOST important piece in the equation. I would much rather walk a field with my dog and no gun than the other way around.

I have a group of hunters here that don't have a dog with them. They hunted till one and got one bird. They decided to hunt with my dog after dinner, they picked up nine more in about the same amount of time. How much have I added to their hunt by letting them use my dog? I am not talking about dollars as much as I am talking about their hunting experience.

Simple answer is Price can't be put on this. Pheasant run, A good dog makes a big difference. The nose Knows. They will run around you and let you walk right by them. Hunting pheasant's without a dog is a tuff ordeal.:thumbsup:

If I didn't have a dog I wouldn't even go, I don't go just to kill birds and def don't like eating them I love seeing awesome dog work I can go to a bird dog trial and watch all day and compare mine to there junk some of them lol. You should feel proud and of your dog are you saying they came and got your dog without you? I promise that would not have happened theres only 1 guy who I trust with my dog and I cant even stand him but we grew up togeather so whatever lol What kind of dog do you have tell us how broke he is obviously he points and holds birds does he retrieve ? honor?

Imo a dog is the MOST important piece in the equation. I would much rather walk a field with my dog and no gun than the other way around.

No dog = no point in even going for me anyway its all about watching the dogs do what they do

My sentiments exactly. So much more to it than shooting birds.

If I didn't have a dog I wouldn't even go, I don't go just to kill birds and def don't like eating them I love seeing awesome dog work I can go to a bird dog trial and watch all day and compare mine to there junk some of them lol. You should feel proud and of your dog are you saying they came and got your dog without you? I promise that would not have happened theres only 1 guy who I trust with my dog and I cant even stand him but we grew up togeather so whatever lol What kind of dog do you have tell us how broke he is obviously he points and holds birds does he retrieve ? honor?

Don't like eating pheasants? Blasphemy!

:D

Watching my dog do his thing is my pleasure.

I love shooting birds and I love eating pheasant.

I can kill pheasant fine without a dog but I'd lose a lot of birds and that's not fine with me.

I offered the use of my dog. That is what he does for a living. He is here to make hunts better, mine when I hunt with him and others when they do. He does this quite often, I think it speaks well of him that he will hunt for others. He loves to hunt and I make sure one guy is in charge of him. I explain what they need to know and it has always gone well. I have had several offers to sell him. I think after yesterday there is a higher probability that they will come back again.

How much is a dog worth? Price has nor reflection on value! I once was offered $10,000 for one of my dogs at a dock jumping contest. I had a farmer tell me that was the day two fools met. I will not hunt pheasants without a good hunting dog. Guys always ask me why I shoot my limits more often than anybody else. My answer, the dogs. I don't shoot any better than my buddies, but I do know when birds are going to fly based on what my dog is "telling" me. My buddies have learned to watch me like a dog! When I get my gun up in a redy position they get ready as well as I start to move toward the dog they know that a bird is going to get up soon. How many times have you went through a field and had birds get up behind you! without a dog it happens more often, but it still happens with the dogs. I hunt pheasants to shoot them and eat them. Yes they taste wonderful. But my vacation time like everyone else's is precious. I want to see the dog work birds, shoot my gun and harvest some animals. So how much is a dog worth? How much is your vacation time worth? How do you put a price on memories? At the end of the season what do you remember, those days wandering aimlessly around the field without a dog, or those times you shot birds and those beautiful dogs were very much a part of the equation? My dogs price? Priceless!

How much is a dog worth? Price has nor reflection on value! I once was offered $10,000 for one of my dogs at a dock jumping contest. I had a farmer tell me that was the day two fools met. I will not hunt pheasants without a good hunting dog. Guys always ask me why I shoot my limits more often than anybody else. My answer, the dogs. I don't shoot any better than my buddies, but I do know when birds are going to fly based on what my dog is "telling" me. My buddies have learned to watch me like a dog! When I get my gun up in a redy position they get ready as well as I start to move toward the dog they know that a bird is going to get up soon. How many times have you went through a field and had birds get up behind you! without a dog it happens more often, but it still happens with the dogs. I hunt pheasants to shoot them and eat them. Yes they taste wonderful. But my vacation time like everyone else's is precious. I want to see the dog work birds, shoot my gun and harvest some animals. So how much is a dog worth? How much is your vacation time worth? How do you put a price on memories? At the end of the season what do you remember, those days wandering aimlessly around the field without a dog, or those times you shot birds and those beautiful dogs were very much a part of the equation? My dogs price? Priceless!

Well said. I take 1 hunt a year with some friends that are casual hunters. They only hunt once, maybe twice a year. Couple years ago one of them commented that " it seems like you get at least one bird in almost every field." " must be lucky" I replied:). When my dog injured his pad last weekend, one of the guy's I was with said I could just leave my dog behind, as we had other decent dogs this trip. I knew that if he wasn't able to tough it out a little I was headed home. He hunted the first field on three legs, until he got some bird contact then it was forgotten.

Dogs

I agree. I grew up hunting behind a dog. I can't imagine pheasant hunting without one. I currently have two dogs and would have more if my wife would let me. My boys love the dogs and my daughter who is 8 loves them the most. That is what she wanted for Christmas and her birthday. That is why my wife let me have two. Of course she just said she wanted a dog and I convinced her the best dogs our hunting dogs.

How much is a dog worth? Priceless

While I know guys that buy and sell dogs like a commodity I could never do that. I am much too attached to them. And like goldenboy said, why do I shoot more birds than most? Because of my dog. On a recent hunt with two friends we took 6 roosters and I shot them all over my dog's points. I did let my buddies take the first shot at a couple but when they missed I didn't. :)

You have a nice dog and should hunt him more! I'd say he was as worth as much as a guide.

I offered the use of my dog. That is what he does for a living. He is here to make hunts better, mine when I hunt with him and others when they do. He does this quite often, I think it speaks well of him that he will hunt for others. He loves to hunt and I make sure one guy is in charge of him. I explain what they need to know and it has always gone well. I have had several offers to sell him. I think after yesterday there is a higher probability that they will come back again.

haymaker...that's pretty neat that you allow others to enjoy your dog! At first I read the post and thought...no way would I let a stranger take my dog out hunting without me there. But, you raise some real good points. :thumbsup:

It is also becoming very apparent that many of the people out that way where you live have a different, and much better, outlook about life and about strangers than in other places, including where I live. That's pretty cool, and very refreshing. :cheers:

How much is a dog worth? Priceless

While I know guys that buy and sell dogs like a commodity I could never do that. I am much too attached to them. And like goldenboy said, why do I shoot more birds than most? Because of my dog. On a recent hunt with two friends we took 6 roosters and I shot them all over my dog's points. I did let my buddies take the first shot at a couple but when they missed I didn't. :)

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME ZEB IF YOU GOT A DOG AND HE DIDNT HUNT TO YOUR LIKING YOUR KEEPING HIM ? NO freaking way the only time I get attached to one if he is lights out and can out right handle birds other wise down the road piece of sh&^% woops sorry about the capitals

YOU MEAN TO TELL ME ZEB IF YOU GOT A DOG AND HE DIDNT HUNT TO YOUR LIKING YOUR KEEPING HIM ? NO freaking way the only time I get attached to one if he is lights out and can out right handle birds other wise down the road piece of sh&^% woops sorry about the capitals

YIKES!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Back